Community Member

Default Smash and Burn Puzzle Solutions

Today I decided to figure out a way to explain to my guildies how to solves the puzzles in Smash and Burn so I didn't have to join every group to solve them. If this isn't needed, then feel free to get rid of it, but I figured it would help someone out there.
    This was made with MS Paint, so if someone wants to make it look cleaner, feel free.

Entrance Puzzle ( I know the north is the wrong way here, just too lazy to change it, top of the puzzle is west, the black box is where there is no puzzle pad)

Second Puzzle

Final Room
    Last edited by Pyroweasle; 05-15-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Community Member

I'll have to try this later. A guildee and I must have spent 30 minutes in there yesterday and could not even understand how they work. If you have a chance can you try to explain how the **** things work?

Thanks.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Puddinhead View Post
    I'll have to try this later. A guildee and I must have spent 30 minutes in there yesterday and could not even understand how they work. If you have a chance can you try to explain how the **** things work?

Thanks.
    From my understanding, when you jump on one of the pads it averages the total amount (of dots) between the pads that have matching sides. Also from my experimenting, you can only make the pad you jump on go Up in number. So the only way to lower the number on a pad is to activate a lower numbered one next to it. If I Was better with an imaging program I would be able to show it a whole lot better. If you go in on Heroic Casual and play around with the first Puzzle, use the solution I posted ( I know the north is not correct, too lazy to fix it) and watch how the pads interact with each other it should help understand them a little but. I kind of like the introduction of a new kind of puzzle and look forward to seeing more of them around.

Does this puzzle merit a solver, like Shroud puzzles? If so, I could add a solver to my compendium...

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Does this puzzle merit a solver, like Shroud puzzles? If so, I could add a solver to my compendium...
    Probably, my son tried to create one, but never finished.

Though I am not sure if this is correct:

From my understanding, when you jump on one of the pads it averages the total amount (of dots) between the pads that have matching sides. Also from my experimenting, you can only make the pad you jump on go Up in number. So the only way to lower the number on a pad is to activate a lower numbered one next to it.
    When I tested on Lammania, there was no average. Stepping on a spot lowered every bounded item (non-diagonal), and increased the stepped on one by the number of non-diagonal bounded items.

Don't have the pack yet, so can't retest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greantun View Post
    Probably, my son tried to create one, but never finished.

Though I am not sure if this is correct:

When I tested on Lammania, there was no average. Stepping on a spot lowered every bounded item (non-diagonal), and increased the stepped on one by the number of non-diagonal bounded items.

Don't have the pack yet, so can't retest.

Again, I'm not sure exactly how the puzzles work, but the solutions I posted worked in every difficulty of Heroic and Epic. They seem to be the same every time you go in the instance. I Will put off my latest TR to make sure, but the 10 or so times I have ran the quest the puzzle has been the same every time. I would love some others to confirm that. A solver may be useful for people or groups that mess up the order or such, these solutions only work with fresh puzzles.

*Edit*

Spent way too much time in the quest and this is what I was able to come up with

Excuse my poor mathematical explanation, its not my strong suit

After some time playing with the puzzle, I can for sure say the following:

-The max tile value is four

-A blank tile, or zero, does not count as an active non diagonal tile. meaning that if you jump on a tile that has three non diagonal tiles, and one of them is a blank tile, it will only go up by two

-When you jump on a tile, the amount of non diagonal tiles lowered will equal four minus the amount of active non diagonal tiles to the piece you jumped on.

Example, if you jump on a tile that is a value of three, and there are two non diagonal tiles, only one of them will go down. The tile that goes down in this case is the one with the higher value. If there is a tie in value, I cannot seem to figure out which one it choose.

There may be a better way to word this, and the more I play with the puzzle the more I am impressed with it. The solutions I posted work if you have not had anyone screw it up, and it is a fresh puzzle.
    Last edited by Pyroweasle; 05-17-2019 at 09:31 AM.

These solutions are great for fresh puzzles.

For a solver:
    Each column can have a value 0-4 (may briefly flash 5, but caps at 4).
    Jumping on a column will transfer 1 from each column in a cardinal direction adjacent to itself.
    You can increase a column more than once if there is a non-zero value adjacent.
    As previously mentioned, the only way to decrease a value is to jump onto an adjacent column.

I hope that helps any with a buggered puzzle or a desire to make a solver.

If I missed or messed anything, I am open to critique.
    1776 Growing Liberty for Centuries 2022

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    These solutions are great for fresh puzzles.

For a solver:
    Each column can have a value 0-4 (may briefly flash 5, but caps at 4).
    Jumping on a column will transfer 1 from each column in a cardinal direction adjacent to itself.
    You can increase a column more than once if there is a non-zero value adjacent.
    As previously mentioned, the only way to decrease a value is to jump onto an adjacent column.

I hope that helps any with a buggered puzzle or a desire to make a solver.

If I missed or messed anything, I am open to critique.
    I think you worded what I said, in a much clearer, more concise manner. The only thing your much better list left out is it won't 'transfer' 1 from a column in a cardinal direction if that tile is a blank tile ( I refer to it as a value of 0)

I award you +1 internet points, which I have no authority to give out, for your great summary of what I was trying to get across =)

If you want to make a solver I can send a video of the House of pain puzzle and how each button reacts. That should be a fun one to figure out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Added even later: Ignore this add, I am the dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamani View Post
    If you want to make a solver I can send a video of the House of pain puzzle and how each button reacts. That should be a fun one to figure out.
    That would be great, yes.

Is it possible to buy a guest pass for it? Not to be a total mooch or anything, but if I could mess around with it even for just a few hours it would help me answer any lingering questions I might come across.

Short of that, yes, a video would be perfect. Of course a solver would need to handle "messed up" puzzles as well as untouched ones.

Is it possible to buy a guest pass for it?
    Pretty sure there's no guest passes available for expansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Without spending anything or finding a very generous soul the next: Lamannia preview would be your best option of accessing the quest directly although that won't likely be for several months. I cannot help much as I don't own the Expansion.

With the "Dice" Puzzle it's quite easy to land on the wrong column by accident when jumping so a solver would be a nice feature.

There are several videos online with people getting bamboozled by the puzzle. When I was testing on Lamannia one of the puzzle titles bugged. For the explanation of the bug refer to my comprehensive Cogs Preview 3, reviews of 'Smash and Burn' including: [Post #8]. And Flimsy's response [Post #9]. No need to reset the quest - jump on the other dice it should eventually get back in line. ;-)

Today, I was viewing "Smash and Burn" video by SamiusGurobo: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/425623171 actually his puzzle tile went nearly as "berserk" as my tile did but mine travelled farther and for longer... It's quite fun to watch it malfunction; it bugs near eight minutes, twenty seconds [8:20] duration. :D
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 05-17-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Great idea, next lama will work fine. I'll also look at the linked videos (thanks much!) but it's unlikely I'll have a solver ready in the next week or so.