Default Question about twf

Question about twf with Shintao

Been doing some theory crafting.
    Handwraps are twf,
    But twf gives off hand proc

Question is, how does this matter for unarmed?
    How does off hand proc matter for a single weapon?
    It's not doublestrike, it seems to matter only if using 2 weapons,
    For the proc rate on the second weapon, say a vorpal
    If you take twf, you get 40% chance when vorpal vorpals that it actually vorpals,
    Right?

Reason I'm asking, I'm building an aasimar monk, and trying to fit in completionist
    And basically if I lose twf I can make a good build, but if I have to include twf everything is pushed back a level and I lose complete.

Anybody got an answer for this?
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

Both your hands use the same weapon (handwraps) but they attack individually. Your left hand only attacks when you proc an offhand attack, so you definitely want the full TWF line.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Both your hands use the same weapon (handwraps) but they attack individually. Your left hand only attacks when you proc an offhand attack, so you definitely want the full TWF line.
    So you're telling me Handwraps get 2 attacks?

I'm going to have to do some testing on this
    Does it show up on the test dummy?
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vish View Post
    So you're telling me Handwraps get 2 attacks?

I'm going to have to do some testing on this
    Does it show up on the test dummy?
    Yes, fighting unarmed with handwraps is treated as if you were a twf character wielding two copies of the same handwrap. all bonuses to offhand strike chance affect monks including one of the t1 shintao enhancements "Deft Strikes: You gain +3%/+6%/+10% chance to make offhand attacks while centered and wielding two weapons or fighting unarmed." With gtwf, deft strikes and meditation of war in air stance you can reach 100% chance to trigger an offhand strike. This also means that abilities like stunning fist or jade strike that apply on next hit can force multiple save attempts by the target, it is not uncommon for me to hit stunning fist and see the little save icon pop up over the monsters head and then see them become stunned because either due to a doublestrike or offhand attack they were forced to make an additional save and failed it.

Thx,
    I guess I always took twf itwf gtwf but didn't really understand why
    Now it is cleared up

I'm guessing itwf and gtwf is the better part of Shintao dps

Will still test it out and see
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

It is indeed a huge part of Unarmed/Handwrap DPS, especially since one of the bonuses Handwraps get for losing the extra offhand abilities is full stat damage for offhand strikes (where everyone other than traited Tempest only gets half for offhand). There is a lot of math involved that how much your offhand strikes is of your DPS, but investing in it can range from increasing your DPS ~30% to nearly doubling. Even taking it as each TWF feat only giving you a 10% DPS increase, there's no feat that comes close to being that important for your DPS. The TWF line I consider core and absolutely critical to any unarmed build.

As for what feat you can give up, it would be Precision or Improved Martial Arts (as that is the smallest DPS increase of all your main feat options). I personally give up Precision as I build up my monk to be very tanky and Combat Expertise becomes quite useful (especially with the 20PRR from Imp CE). If I were to shift from my DC tank concentration and go pure DPS with Scion of Ethereal, I'd definitely drop Imp MA instead.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)