Community Member

Default Kukri > Daggers?

Ummm so correct me if im wrong, but kukri is better than dagger for assassin rogue. With the change to the improved critical feat your kukri will have a 14-20 x4 and daggers will have 15-20 x4. That's kinda BS because i just noticed this after i made my LGS stuff, why SSG why would u do this to me?

I saw unbongwah mention recently that the Knife Specialization enhancement is doubled by the Improved Critical feat in order to keep kukris and daggers on an even footing. (Just the range, not the multiplier, obviously.)

Swashbuckling bonuses are also doubled by improved critical for the same reason: To keep all (most) swashbuckling weapons at a consistent 15-20x3 when you have improved critical.

Note that (of course) they had to find a way to Turbine this, which they did by having the Keen weapon effect NOT double those bonuses. So swashbucklers and assassins have to take the feat even if they only and always use keen weapons.

just to add--most of the named weapons for assassins are daggers. However, if you plan on reincarnating your assassin into some other class or classes in the future, then more melee classes benefit from kukris. Only assassins & bards will overcome a dagger's poor crit range.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nokills View Post
    With the change to the improved critical feat your kukri will have a 14-20 x4 and daggers will have 15-20 x4.
    You are mistaken: both of them have 15-20/x4 crit profile with Knife Spec, Lethality, and the relevant Imp Crit feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I saw unbongwah mention recently that the Knife Specialization enhancement is doubled by the Improved Critical feat in order to keep kukris and daggers on an even footing. (Just the range, not the multiplier, obviously.)
    It was true when the U28 balance changes came out. I make no guarantees the devs didn't break it since then, but I've seen no complaints about it being broken. It may also be one of those issues where the display is bugged but the

OP: for lvls 1-11, use whatever are the best light weapons you can acquire / craft; by lvl 12 you take Improved Crit and need to pick daggers or kukris. In terms of crafted weapons, they wind up the same (apart from DR considerations); but there are a lot more named daggers than kukris. Pre-MotU, eMidnight Greetings used to be the best epic weapon for Assassins, IMO, but it's since been overshadowed by various epic daggers like Assassin's Kiss or Slice & Dice. [In particular, notice the x3 crit multiplier on Assassin's Kiss; that becomes x5 w/Knife Spec + Lethality.] So that's why most Assassin builds stick with daggers. Although technically you can spare the feat slot to take both IC:Slash and IC:Pierce, so if you wanna use both - hey, knock yourself out.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 05-19-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Default ... Thanks

XD yeah I just rechecked the assassin thing turns out i can't read! Woot yay that means i dont have to remake my LGS