Thread: Bank Mule

Default Bank Mule

A basic mule build will have 5 inventory pages and 3 bank pages of storage space to work with, for a total of 160 items. You can further add to this with store purchases, but I'd probably just roll up a second mule instead.

This mule is essentially the same build as my favor farmer, except it has a few more points of strength so it can hold more stuff in inventory. Pkus it takes slightly different feats and spells. Reproducing the overview text from there:

Build concept is air/fire savant with wings. Sorcerer also gives us dimension door, teleport, haste, invisibility, jump, merfolk's, knock and detect secret doors, so lots of goodies to work with. Splash barbarian for sprint boost and we're off to the races. Kill just about everything with chain lightning.

Go with Morninglord using all starter gear except armor (run naked) and using a lootgen or crafted magnetism of electric lore one-hander. (My guy uses an ML14 lootgen one.) Use the orb instead of the shield.

Code:
    Bank Mule
    12/2/1 Sorcerer/Barbarian/Cleric
    Morninglord

Level Order

1. Cleric          6. Sorcerer       11. Sorcerer
    2. Barbarian       7. Sorcerer       12. Sorcerer
    3. Barbarian       8. Sorcerer       13. Sorcerer
    4. Sorcerer        9. Sorcerer       14. Sorcerer
    5. Sorcerer       10. Sorcerer       15. Sorcerer

Stats
                   32pt     Level Up
                   ----     --------
    Strength        14       4: CHA
    Dexterity       14       8: CHA
    Constitution    14      12: CHA
    Intelligence    10
    Wisdom           8
    Charisma        16

Skills
              C  B  B  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S  S
              1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13 14 15
             ---------------------------------------------
    Spellcr   4        2  2  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  18
    Concent   4              1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  1  14
    Jump         2  2                                       4
    Swim         2  2                                       4
             ---------------------------------------------
              8  4  4  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2

Feats

1        : Force of Personality
     1 Deity  : Follower of: Amaunator
     3        : Eschew Materials
     6        : Extend Spell
     9        : Maximize Spell
    12        : Heighten Spell
    15        : Mental Toughness

Spells

Sorcerer
    1. Detect Secret Doors, Jump, Merfolk's Blessing, Nightshield
    2. Invisibility, Knock, Scorching Ray, Web
    3. Displacement, Haste, Fireball, Lightning Bolt
    4. Dimension Door, Wall of Fire, <Any>
    5. Ball Lightning, Teleport
    6. Chain Lightning
    Cleric
    1. Cure Light Wounds, <Any>, <Any>
    Enhancements (56 of 60 AP) Air Savant (35 AP)
    • Air Savant, Air Affinity, Greater Air Affinity, Conduction
      1. Acrobatic III, Spell Critical, Electrocution III
      2. Efficient Maximize III, Spell Critical, Alternating Current III
      3. Spell Critical, Charisma
      4. Feather Fall, Spell Critical, Charisma
      5. Wind Dance
    Fire Savant (13 AP)
    • Fire Savant, Fire Affinity, Greater Fire Affinity
      1. Spell Critical, Conflagration III
      2. Fanning the Flames III
      3. Charisma
    Frenzied Berserker (8 AP)
    • Die Hard
      1. Die Harder I, Athletics III
      2. Sprint Boost III

Running this favor is much easier for VIPs who can open elite. I use a dualbox elite opener to do this in one pass as a premium.

Order Quest Coin Lord Kundarak Argo Other Notes
    1 Recovering the Lost Tome 9 Set up hotbars at start waiting for NPC
    2 Cannith Crystal 6
    3 Heyton's Rest 6
    4 The Storehouse's Secret 6
    5 The Collaborator 12
    6 Stopping the Sahuagin 9
    7 Redemption 9 Teleport to Harbor
    8 Durk's Got a Secret 12
    9 Haverdasher 6
    10 Irestone Inlet 12 Teleport to Harbor
    11 Garrison's Missing Pack 12
    12 Stealthy Repossession 9
    13 The Kobold's New Ringleader 12
    14 Kobold's Den: Clan Gnashtooth 12 Refresh ship buffs
    15 Archer Point Defense 9
    16 Dirty Laundry 6
    17 Missing In Action 9
    18 The Sunken Sewer 9
    19 The Chamber of Insanity 9
    20 The Forgotten Caverns 12
    21 The Lair of Summoning 9
    22 Ruined Halls 12
    23 Fathom the Depths 15
    24 The Claw of Vulkoor 12
    25 Gateway to Khyber 9
    26 Tharashk Arena 15
    27 Reclamation 15
    28 Sykros' Jewel 15
    29 The Tear of Dhakaan 21
    30 Diplomatic Impunity 18
    31 Feast or Famine 18
    32 Trial by Fire 18
    33 Foundation of Discord 18
    34 A Cry for Help 21
    150 150 75 27 402 total favor

Those last Gianthold quests are optional, for if you want the mule to pay for his own Collapsed Portable Hole. If you do that, the quest list is designed so that when you hit 75 Argo favor you also end up with 402 total for another 25 TP.

Once you're done running all the favor you want, delete everything out of his inventory and bank. Leave the magnetism of electric lore weapon as his equipped weapon, and then pass it to any favor farmers you roll up.

If you run into any problems running the quests, remember that you only care about completions, not xp. Don't hesitate to run in blasting, then if you die, recall, rebuff and re-enter. Or if you run out of spell points, recall, rebuff, re-enter.

I find the best place to park my mules is in the Resort Spa in Ataraxia's Haven. It has a bank and mailbox right next to each other, which are the only things my mules ever need to interact with. Plus there's a general vendor right there in case stuff you're storing is obsoleted by game changes, you can just sell it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    I find the best place to park my mules is in the Resort Spa in Ataraxia's Haven. It has a bank and mailbox right next to each other, which are the only things my mules ever need to interact with. Plus there's a general vendor right there in case stuff you're storing is obsoleted by game changes, you can just sell it.
    Hall of Heroes has the same stuff + also auctioneer and airship portal (for extra storage).

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    You can further add to this with store purchases, but I'd probably just roll up a second mule instead.
    An extra Inventory Tab (+20 slots) costs 595 DDO Pts, while an extra Character Slot costs 625 - so, yeah, making a 2nd mule is def the cheaper way to go.

Of course, if it's just a matter of storage slots, starting a F2P alt account is even cheaper, and has 5 (Edit - correction, true F2P has only 3!) character slots for mules and basic-build experimentation. However, that won't have access to starting an Iconic Character at Level 15, nor even Level 4. Having only recently purchased Shadowfell and MotU, I am only too familiar with having to "make due" without such luxuries.

If you can dual-box, you can drag any build thru quests up to Level 3* and get 75 Coin Lord Favor. You can't get close to enough House K favor (not without being Level 4), and leveling can be tough if the opener is over-level. But Level 1 will still get you 100 inventory slots - not bad.

(* You can't enter Level 4 quests unless you're at least Level 2, and you need to be Level 4 to get in to the Level 7 quests needed for 75 House K Favor.)

This is nothing new, but while we're here, I'd recommend:

Favor
    (Total/Coin Lord)
    30/24 4x Korthos Village
    27/18 Korthos island (NOT Necromancer's Doom)
    12/12 Kobold's New Ringleader
    12/ - Information is Key
    9/9 Sunken Sewer
    6/6 Missing in Action (Hard only)
    6/6 Any 3 of the 4 Harbor Solo quests
    102/75

This gets 25 DDO Pts and the first extra Coin Lord bank slot for 100 inventory slots, done.
    Last edited by C-Dog; 03-02-2017 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Of course, if it's just a matter of storage slots, starting a F2P alt account is even cheaper, and has 5 slots for mules and basic-build experimentation
    In addition to the other limitations you mentioned, you also can't store BTA stuff on an alt account. Most of what I store on a mule nowadays is BTA.

True that.

And I said "5 (character) slots" - shoulda said "3 slots", unless you're going Premium. (Altho' that can be cheap enough, even a few dollars is not for everyone, no argument there.)

Default Thanks!

I wanted to thank Ellis for this; I made a couple of these with a month's worth of "free" VIP.

One thing I noticed is that point distribution & spells may not be optimum, probably because the build is several years old. Might be because the option for another race in the original favor farming build?

For example, I don't quite get why points are put into the Feather Fall toggle when Morninglord characters already have an item, or taking Merfolk's when Charm Person gets a lot more bang for the buck & there's only a couple of places in the run where water breathing is useful.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merfyn View Post
    I wanted to thank Ellis for this; I made a couple of these with a month's worth of "free" VIP.

One thing I noticed is that point distribution & spells may not be optimum, probably because the build is several years old. Might be because the option for another race in the original favor farming build?

For example, I don't quite get why points are put into the Feather Fall toggle when Morninglord characters already have an item, or taking Merfolk's when Charm Person gets a lot more bang for the buck & there's only a couple of places in the run where water breathing is useful.
    Since you get Delayed Blast Fireball at level 14, I end up making Bladeforged Paladin 1/Sorc 14 for my bank mules. Delayed Blast Fireball = very fast room clearing.

Expeditious Retreat + Jump + Shield (or Nightshield) + Delayed Blast Fireball + Fireball + some other AoE attack for fire resistant slimes = fast Coin Lord and House K favor.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Since you get Delayed Blast Fireball at level 14, I end up making Bladeforged Paladin 1/Sorc 14 for my bank mules. Delayed Blast Fireball = very fast room clearing.

Expeditious Retreat + Jump + Shield (or Nightshield) + Delayed Blast Fireball + Fireball + some other AoE attack for fire resistant slimes = fast Coin Lord and House K favor.
    I just realized I was suffering a "senior moment" - the Feather Fall enhancement is a prereq for Wind Dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Merfyn View Post
    One thing I noticed is that point distribution & spells may not be optimum, probably because the build is several years old. Might be because the option for another race in the original favor farming build?...
    Without too much tweaking, you can design something to cover multiple "back burner" tasks. Mine can farm Risia Coins and top-tier that Skate challenge, and isn't a bad Ingredient Farmer (altho' hardly specialized for that).

(And I haven't looked very hard at the new EK trees - might be some love there to find.)

So long as the alt can stumble through the quests to completion on Elite (even if they have to die/release/re-enter), it works as a "free" mule and favor-earner, and anything else is gravy on top.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    So long as the alt can stumble through the quests to completion on Elite (even if they have to die/release/re-enter), it works as a "free" mule and favor-earner, and anything else is gravy on top.
    I've created something like 5 of these in the past month. For starters, I don't much care for Merfolk's, so I took Charm Person instead. Only in "Fathom the Depths" would have been worthwhile, & that would mainly be to make the trip between air pockets quicker. I had a low-level Buccaneer ring available & didn't even think about it.

In comparison, Charm Person saved boatloads of mana trying to charge through Tear of Dhakaan, Feast or Famine, and A Cry for Help... it even works well for Foundation of Discord for certain mobs. It's not guaranteed but since I'm NOT using a better quality Lightning Lore item in most cases it's definitely of overall benefit.

I'm trying to decide whether the best 4th level choice was Lesser Globe or Solid Fog, and I didn't try Stoneskin or Monster 4. Solid Fog seemed to work well for Diplomatic Impunity; I'd had a couple of wipes there but Solid Fog & a dual-box toon parked outside at the handle made it almost quick.

Community Member

Running this a few times over as I'm a total pack rat.

Thanks Ellis.