Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RANT - Cannith Crafting

I'm VERY disappointed in how the cannith crafting turned out. It's no longer a part of the game for me because of it's ridiclously difficult recipes.
    I used to craft gear for my younglings, not everything but a ring for one, some boots for another, and now it's just impossible.

1) My crafting level is 182 under the new system. In the old, for example, I could make a ghost touch weapon if my char lvl 7 needed one. Now it requires level 250. I did some quick calculations and it costs US$ 652 buying essences alone to get there. US$ 652! And I can't even use the old shard of ghost touch I have made under the old system.

2) The collectables required are too rare. Pulling the resources of all my chars I can make 1 weapon with acid damage. Just 1. If I make 1 ML 5 for a char starting now I just can't make another when he hits lvl 10 or 15.

3) Cannith Crafting should be something for the newbies and occasional players to dab with. Why? Because an elite player already has named items that compete or perform better. They don't need the CC.

4) As a result of 1 and 2 the crafting became totally elitist. My crafter is just no longer viable. Now there are absolutely no crafting for newbies and long gone returning players. Is that the goal? To scare away those who did not play 24/7 in the last few years?

5) With a waning playerbase, playerbase avoiding lower levels and much of the loot going to deconstruction the AH and ASAH are almost empty, making it impossible to find an item to properly gear a newly created char, consequently the game just got harder for newbies.

I'm very disappointed in you, Turbine.

</rant>

Thumbs up Ok

Not sure I agree with all of your points. I farmed about 1000 essences from questing today, so you don't have to buy them from anywhere. Sure, it's a grind, but that's the nature nature of most stuff these days.

I do kinda agree with you on point 3 though. I think named loot, and particularly raid loot should be peerless. I've got a fair chunk of good raid loot, but am working on crafting about 4-5 items to replace some of it. That just doesn't seem right somehow.....

Ghost Touch and Everbright are the biggest missteps, for sure. If those were properly set as level 1 recipes, the system as a whole would be far more new-player friendly.

Default Agree with the OP

Not much to add, OP addresses my complaints as well. I agree with EllisDee that Everbright and Ghost Touch should be much lower level recipes, using not-too-hard-to-farm collectibles. I was pretty upset when I discovered that none of my characters could create those items any more, when previously all of them could...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

These are fair points. It has become tough for a newbie or casual/returning player to gear up a toon. At least on Sarlona, the AH started dying well before U32 was released, and U32 put the nail in the coffin.

It doesn't help that plat is essentially worthless, so there is almost no motivation to list things there. I will still list occasional items I don't need on the AH if I feel they are good ones that would benefit someone, but honestly that's more of an altruistic move than it is needing to profit. Since the AH is pretty much dead, there's little spend plat on - the occasional spell swap or tree reset, maybe restocking the guild ship cargo bay.

So for a top tier or even a mid-range player, selling on the AH essentially just slows down the game. U32 CC adds incentive to take lootgen items out of the game quickly. This is a detriment to casual/new/returning players.

There are many things I like about the new CC, but it did seem make more difficult to craft leveling gear, and even to obtain leveling gear.

EDIT: In an effort to not post problems without at least an attempt at a solution... Since i think it's unlikely the brand new CC will get a massive overhaul, I think a huge plat sink targeted at the most active players would help invigorate the AH. Maybe some new guild ship amenities that can only be bought (and must be renewed often) for HUGE plat. "+1 wealth bonus to <stat>" shrine? 60 min expires on death. 1M pp/week per stat?
    Last edited by SuperNiCd; 10-03-2016 at 07:30 AM.

Given time the collectibles will refill the new void created by introducing new high level drop collectibles with a new crafting system dependant on those new collectibles.

That said..
    They should have separated epic level from heroic levels for crafting and the collectibles required.
    Insightful stats for instance are crafted from collectibles only available in level 26+ content but are craftable for level 10 gear.
    The amount of collectibles are heavy for heroic crafted items and cost the same for the epic.. only difference is the min level shard applied...
    Last edited by JOTMON; 10-03-2016 at 07:39 AM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 34/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 12/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 116/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/45 , RC 25/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 75/158)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 111/158)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Ghost Touch and Everbright are the biggest missteps, for sure. If those were properly set as level 1 recipes, the system as a whole would be far more new-player friendly.
    Also invulnerable and a couple of other used to be low hangers than got bumped up with collectables I have ZERO of, I guess they are new or just so rare I never picked any up before.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by undercover69 View Post
    I'm VERY disappointed in how the cannith crafting turned out. It's no longer a part of the game for me because of it's ridiclously difficult recipes.
    I used to craft gear for my younglings, not everything but a ring for one, some boots for another, and now it's just impossible.

1) My crafting level is 182 under the new system. In the old, for example, I could make a ghost touch weapon if my char lvl 7 needed one. Now it requires level 250. I did some quick calculations and it costs US$ 652 buying essences alone to get there. US$ 652! And I can't even use the old shard of ghost touch I have made under the old system.

2) The collectables required are too rare. Pulling the resources of all my chars I can make 1 weapon with acid damage. Just 1. If I make 1 ML 5 for a char starting now I just can't make another when he hits lvl 10 or 15.

3) Cannith Crafting should be something for the newbies and occasional players to dab with. Why? Because an elite player already has named items that compete or perform better. They don't need the CC.

4) As a result of 1 and 2 the crafting became totally elitist. My crafter is just no longer viable. Now there are absolutely no crafting for newbies and long gone returning players. Is that the goal? To scare away those who did not play 24/7 in the last few years?

5) With a waning playerbase, playerbase avoiding lower levels and much of the loot going to deconstruction the AH and ASAH are almost empty, making it impossible to find an item to properly gear a newly created char, consequently the game just got harder for newbies.

</rant>
    1. Have to admit not being able to use your old ghost touch is a bit of a pain.

2. Because there was TONNES of duping all the collectables you need can be found on the ASAH. If pay to win isn't your thing try this guide on the most efficient way to farm collectables: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...+Rusted+Blades

3. Not true. When you TR you become as well geared as a newbie and Cannith Crafting is a great way for an elite player to gear up their newbie.

4. I think the goal was simplification and to get more revenue from the ASAH as players can now sell their collectables for Astral Shards.

5. How about playing the game and getting your own loot?

Quote Originally Posted by Hostyle View Post

5. How about playing the game and getting your own loot?
    In all fairness - ever tried pulling a light repeater from a chest? Nevermind trying to get a light repeater with an augment on it.

It's frustrating to the point where I may just roll up an Artificer and set my settings so that I only get class-specific loot just to get a blank or two.

Angry

Im still stuck at the point of converting all the essences in my ingredients bags across all my alts... too much clicking and the interface keeps dying.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    In all fairness - ever tried pulling a light repeater from a chest? Nevermind trying to get a light repeater with an augment on it.
    Can't you buy them from the Hammer & Chain? I thought they sold all weapon types there.

Agree with all of your points OP. Number 2 (collectibles are too rare) is the one that really frustrates me. I've been playing this game for about 4 years now and I can't craft a @#$$@#$ intelligence item because I only have 3

house sealed letters. 3! Also, most of my toons tend to be dex base (assassins, rangers, recently a ninja) I don't have the ingredients to make 1 dex shard, not 1! That slightly "irks" me....

This is not a system that is going to tend to help new players, think it is aimed more at end game users to craft some uber gear,,,,, but, but, but better gear can more easily be crafted in the Slave Lords Quests!!!

I like how the new cc system works, I think they need to rethink the ingredients... the drop rates... Or most of us will just walk away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassination View Post
    Agree with all of your points OP. Number 2 (collectibles are too rare) is the one that really frustrates me. I've been playing this game for about 4 years now and I can't craft a @#$$@#$ intelligence item because I only have 3

house sealed letters. 3! Also, most of my toons tend to be dex base (assassins, rangers, recently a ninja) I don't have the ingredients to make 1 dex shard, not 1! That slightly "irks" me....

This is not a system that is going to tend to help new players, think it is aimed more at end game users to craft some uber gear,,,,, but, but, but better gear can more easily be crafted in the Slave Lords Quests!!!

I like how the new cc system works, I think they need to rethink the ingredients... the drop rates... Or most of us will just walk away from it.
    I farmed 15 house sealed letters running Lords of Dust on Epic Casual to the bookcase and pack, with a couple of naturals thrown in for good measure along the way. Took less than 2 hours repetition on Monday morning.

I farmed a total of over 15 types of collectibles, one I needed 36 of, in under 12 hours over Sunday and Monday. I crafted 9 L25 items for my ETR train. That's on top of 4 then 5 more end game items and 4 situational ones too.

Collectibles are NOT any significant barrier that so many seem to make them out to be. I had never crafted before the new system so am hardly an expert. I find it difficult to believe folks are struggling with collectibles. Auction Houses prices are ridiculous, but there is absolutely no need to pay those prices when farming is so easy. Boring and grindy for sure, but easy nonetheless. Hawktopus's excellent thread has all you need on where to look.

I find the limiting variable here to now be PEDs for insightful shards having exhausted my stock of tokens and EDs. But having crafted c20 items, I don't see that as reason to complain at this stage.

Like I said I never crafted before, mainly because I saw little to interest me in terms of benefits, so I'm in no position to judge those bemoaning the fact that the new system isn't as useful, but as the new system is immeasurably more useful to me, given the old one was never used, I am happy with the new one. Just my personal 2cp worth.

Farming collectibles is easy though. House Sealed Letters included.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by undercover69 View Post

</rant>
    I agree with these points

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Folker View Post
    I agree with these points
    I second this.
    Used to be able to craft a few things, now zip. Got a boatload of collectables all useless to me as I seem to forever be missing that one extra collectable. I hate it.

Community Member

i was surprised by having to convert my old essenses into the new cannith essense
    i doubt i will ever do it, but i got up to lvl 25 under the old system, lol
    i try to sell stuff on the ah that i think is at least half-way worth something, and i keep the really interesting rng loot for myself, for future use.
    how bout make rng items craftable straight away, without haveing to disjunct them, so you can remove a prefix or suffix, or rather than removing, you just replace, or add-to, depending. So, +1 acid sword of hitpoints can become +1 acid sword of vorpal strikes, or other.
    i agree about how crafting should be more accessible for newbs and others and not a grind-chore. If you want to make some type of crafting for elites, then do that. The whole idea of the essenses was great, and now there is just one essense? How boring.
    do something with gems
    true neutral poster... note the grey in my 'rep'
    kool-aid in my coffee! YEAH!
    {save me from myself}