Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Theorycrafting - the Perfect Dual Box Puppy Charmer

I am toying with the idea of making such a character but without the druid past lifes just for fun (or maybe with the past lifes if U29 is delayed ...). I have a few capped dual box characters with LR +20. It might make the higher difficulty runs smoother to have such a character even if that means running with 11 instead of 12.

Edited to clarify: this is just for epic Hox basically.

First off - I don't bring dual boxes to raids, but if I am up-front about this specific role and put any items earned by the dual box up for a roll I doubt people will care. Most likely I will just teleport the character out as soon as the boss is almost down but not sure how tough the timing will be on that.

Human Druid 13 / Warlock 7 [Fiend] (32 pt build)

Str: 8
    Dex: 14
    Con: 18 (all level ups)
    Wis: 14
    Int: 12
    Char: 8

Important Feats:
    3x Past Life Druid (+6 to all stats - not for my character - but it's possible)
    Augment Summong (Charms: +4 to all stats, +2HD, +50% fort)
    Extend
    Empower Healing
    Maximize
    Empower
    Quicken
    Shield Mastery
    Improved Shield Mastery
    Spell Focus Evocation (or any spell focus really)
    Improved Augment Summoning (Charms: +8 to all stats, +100 hp, +10% dodge)
    Intensify Spell
    Scion of Elysium (Charms: +25 PRR, +25 MRR, +20 MP, +100% fort, 5% chance of ignoring damage)

Important Enhancements:
    Harper: Harper Leadership (Charms: +4 to all stats)
    Enlightened Spirit: Fortifiy Summons (Charms: +100% Fort, +20 PRR, +20 MRR)
    Enlightened Spirit: Imbue Summons (Charms: +30 Melee Power)
    Enlightened Spirit: Displace Summons (Charms: 25% Concealment, +10% Dodge)
    Enlightened Spirit: Aura of Courage (Charms: +4 saving throws)

Important Epic Destiny Items:
    Magister: Grand Summoner (Charms: +4 to all stats, +100% Fort, +40% movement speed)
    Primal Avatar twist 1: The Oncoming Storm (Charms: 1% chance 20d20 Electric Damage, 1% chance 20d20 Sonic Damage)
    Primal Avatar twist 2: Natural Shielding (Charms: +100hp, +30 PRR, I don't think this grants evasion but not positive)
    Twist 3: Cocoon
    Twist 4: (new with U29) Primal scream: (Charms: +5 strength and +5 Con -2 AC penalty)

Important Spells:
    Druid: Pack Presence [Shifting Pack] (Charms: 75% less hate so aggro stays on tank)
    Druid: Pack Aptitude [Pack Strength'] (Charms: +6 strength)
    Druid: Tenacious Pack (Charms +30% fortification, +30% healing amp)
    Druid: Bull's Strength Mass (+4 strength)
    Druid: Bear's Endurance Mass (+4 con)
    Druid: Greater Vigor Mass for healing
    Druid: Regenerate for healing
    Druid: Stoneskin (10 DR)
    Druid: Align Fang (don't think this is needed)
    Warlock: Haste (15% attack speed, +1 reflex, +1% dodge)
    Warlock: Rage (+2 strength, +2 constitution, +1 will save)
    Enlightened Spirit: Displacement (for self)
    Greater Heroism Scroll

Any thoughts for improvement, things I am missing?

Here are total bonuses before buffs from other party members:

Bonus to Str
    Augment Summoning: 4
    Improved Augment Summoning: 8
    Past Life Druid: 6
    Harper Leadership: 4
    Grandmaster of Summoning: 4
    Primal Scream: 5
    Pact Aptitude: 6
    Bull's Strength Mass: 4
    Wild Grove Ship Buff: 3
    Sellswords Tavern Ship Buff: 3
    Rage: 2

Total Bonus: 49

Bonus to Con
    Primal Scream: 5
    Bear's Endurance Mass: 4
    Rage: 2

Total Bonus: 43

Bonus to Dex (for reflex saves)
    Total Bonus: 32

Bonuses to Melee Power
    Scion of Elysium: 20
    Imbue Summons: 30
    Epic Levels (5 per level)

Total Bonus: 100

Bonuses to PRR
    Scion of Elysium: 25
    Natural Shielding: 30
    Fortify Summons: 20
    Epic Levels: 50 (5 per level)

Total Bonus: 125

Bonuses to MRR
    Scion of Elysium: 25
    Fortify Summons: 20
    Epic Levels (5 per level)

Total Bonus: 95

Bonuses to Fortification
    Augment Summoning: 50
    Scion of Elysium: 100
    Fortify Summons: 100
    Grand Summoner: 100
    Tenacious Pack: 30

Total Bonus: 380%

Bonuses to Dodge
    Improved Augment Summoning: 10
    Displace Summons: 10
    Haste: 1

Total Bonus: 21%

Bonuses to Concealment
    Displace Summons: 25

Total Bonus: 25%

Bonuses to Healing Amp
    Tenacious Pack: 60

Total Bonus: 60

Bonuses to Attack Speed
    Haste: 15

Total Bonus: 15%

Additional Damage
    The Oncoming Storm: 1% chance 20d20 Electric Damage
    The Oncoming Storm: 1% chance 20d20 Sonic Damage

Additional Defenses
    Scion of Elysium: 5% chance of ignoring damage
    Aura of Courage: +4 saves
    Greater Heroism: +4 Saves
    Haste: +1 reflex save
    Stoneskin: 10% damage reduction
    Tenacious Pack: 75% threat reduction
    Total miss chance from dodge, concealment and scion of elysium before AC chance: 43.7%
    Total damage reduction from PRR: 43%
    Total damage reduction from MRR: 69%
    Last edited by slarden; 12-22-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

I'm not familiar with dual boxing, so I cannot tell whether it can compensate the things added below or not. I guess you'll have to decide whether the character shall be the one that lands charms or just the one who buffs charmed mobs. Then I'd build a max DC and Spell Pen Charmer and an additional Buffer. Because:

All charm spells (except for Undead, but as Druid you can only scroll/wand cast them; WL's DC will be too low I guess) are

- from Enchantment school, so Spell Focus Enchantment is the SF you'll want to take
    - affected by Spell Resistance, so I recommend to take the Spell Penetration feats and to play with one of the Elf races, because of their spell pen racial enhancements. E.g. magical animals like Worgs/Hellhounds/Winter Wolves use to have SR and all Fiendish named mobs. Without Spell Pen you won't be able to land the charm.
    - not meta'able by Maximize, Empower or Extend. The only valid Metamagics are Enlarge, Heighten and Quicken.

You'll want to raise the charm DCs as high as you can - although most animals and vermin have pretty low will saves, but the ones you really want to land a charm on probably are the exeptions, like Dire Bears, or the ones with SR mentioned above. So the more levels you take away from a charming class, the lower the DCs will be and the more likely mobs will successfully save against them.

Druids can only charm Animals and Vermin and the Warlock's Level is pretty low to successfully land charms on higher levels, so I'd build an at least Level 17 Wizard or Warlock for the purpose to land charms, and a Druid to buff the charmed mobs with pack spells and others.

I should have clarified this build would serve only one purpose: to charm the puppies in epic Hox raid.

I don't really dual box - I usually just bring the character along if a guildy needs an item for an extra chance to loot or when soloing for loot. I never do that in an lfm group.

I am not good enough to operate 2 characters at the same time so it doesn't really matter what the build is of the dual box which is why I decided to respec a dual box character.

The only downside is that all those buffs to your charmed puppies boost their recurring saves against your charms, so you'll need some seriously strong DCs to keep them charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The only downside is that all those buffs to your charmed puppies boost their recurring saves against your charms, so you'll need some seriously strong DCs to keep them charmed.
    I think he's just talking about charming the puppies in HOX, using the xoriat control stones within the raid, which is just a timed charm and not save based.

I am looking forward to turning one of my druids into a summoner after the Voodu Warlock project is done

Quote Originally Posted by Nachomammashouse View Post
    I think he's just talking about charming the puppies in HOX, using the xoriat control stones within the raid, which is just a timed charm and not save based.

I am looking forward to turning one of my druids into a summoner after the Voodu Warlock project is done
    Yes I tried to explain that, but I didn't do such a good job. Thank you for explaining it better

Feel free to share some of your good ideas! I am not too familiar with Hox since I started after the game went FTP and although this raid was run alot when I got high enough level, I was more focused on shroud, epics and esp eChrono. So I am a relative newbie to this raid.

Default Dual Boxing ??

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I should have clarified this build would serve only one purpose: to charm the puppies in epic Hox raid.

I don't really dual box - I usually just bring the character along if a guildy needs an item for an extra chance to loot or when soloing for loot. I never do that in an lfm group.

I am not good enough to operate 2 characters at the same time so it doesn't really matter what the build is of the dual box which is why I decided to respec a dual box character.
    Would you mind explaining what is the meaning of the term "Dual Boxing" ?

Quote Originally Posted by pappo View Post
    Would you mind explaining what is the meaning of the term "Dual Boxing" ?
    Dual Boxing means using a 2nd account. In this case my thought was to reconfigure a 2nd account character as a puppy charmer for epic hox, but upon further reflection I can just reconfigure an alt on the bench on my main account and use that instead.

To clarify - I NEVER bring a dual box to raids - this case my idea was to bring the puppy charmer to hox to make the raid easier for everyone and then have my character in the raid so I got loot, but since the runes can be passed across the account - it's not necessary for my actual characters to run the raid - I can run the raid with just a puppy charmer character and pass the runes.

So ignore the whole dual box idea - that won't even be necessary - it will be a character on my main account.

Community Member

Tenacious Pack gives 60 heal amp.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Tenacious_Pack

Also, how much puppy power would you lose if you were a 15/5 Earthquake warlock?
    Last edited by cru121; 12-16-2015 at 12:52 AM.

Community Member

Hey rand, small oversight, but you skipped the ship buff: sellswords' tavern. +3 guild bonus to summon stats. Otherwise, this sounds like a good idea, I look forward to running hox with you.
    Last edited by jessej636; 12-16-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jessej636 View Post
    Hey rand, small oversight, but you skipped the ship buff: sellswords' tavern. +3 guild bonus to summon stats. Otherwise, this sounds like a good idea, I look forward to running hox with you.
    Thank you! I didn't realize those stacked but a friend confirmed it does - great to know.

I definitely look forward to running the raids with you.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Tenacious Pack gives 60 heal amp.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Tenacious_Pack

Also, how much puppy power would you lose if you were a 15/5 Earthquake warlock?
    Thanks, the description says 30% but I should have realized that now means 60.

Yeah my original idea was 15/5 with earthquake just as you say. This character has been on the bench other than the fact I used him to mirror my main warlock build on a character without the relevant past lifes and gear to see how it performed. I decided to put him to better use now.

The reason I am going 7 warlock is to get haste. The reason is I want to be able to rely fully on this character for buffs and 15% haste boost is kind of important. So few casters slot haste now since it's available in gear and as a feat. I do have loads of shards from shroud I stocked up to make displacement clickies years ago and never made. I thought of making haste gs items, but I just think having the quickened spell with extend makes the most sense. Bard buffs would be a plus - but not necessary so the rest of the party can focus on either being tank, tank healer or trash killers.

Your recommendation is right on though - that is a MUCH better split for a more versatile character, but this guy is gonna just do hox puppy charming for a bit and when that runs it's course I will TR him to something else or put him back on the bench.

Thx for the pet-buff summary!

I don't think Rage(spell) and Primal Scream(FotW) stack though. Both are morale bonuses.

Is The Oncoming Storm really that great without it's trip?
    How about the other aoe bonuses like Friends of Nature, Supple as Spring, Summer Smoke, Divine Energy Resistance or Renewal?

Due to Grand Summoner you are locked in Magister. The Sigil of Spell Warding offers +15 PRR, which lasts 60s and has a cooldown of 30s.

It would be interesting to see what the bonuses do to the charm of the succubus summon's charm DC of the magister.
    Samaelius Bael, Thelanis

Feel free to share some of your good ideas! I am not too familiar with Hox since I started after the game went FTP and although this raid was run alot when I got high enough level, I was more focused on shroud, epics and esp eChrono. So I am a relative newbie to this raid.
    Hey Slarden, I just posted an update in the fansite section that has some videos that cover HOX pretty well. We've only done it on legendary once so far, but it seemed to be exactly the same raid mechanics. Check it out HERE if you're interested

Quote Originally Posted by SamaelBael View Post
    Thx for the pet-buff summary!

I don't think Rage(spell) and Primal Scream(FotW) stack though. Both are morale bonuses.

Is The Oncoming Storm really that great without it's trip?
    How about the other aoe bonuses like Friends of Nature, Supple as Spring, Summer Smoke, Divine Energy Resistance or Renewal?

Due to Grand Summoner you are locked in Magister. The Sigil of Spell Warding offers +15 PRR, which lasts 60s and has a cooldown of 30s.

It would be interesting to see what the bonuses do to the charm of the succubus summon's charm DC of the magister.
    Good point on rage and Primal scream. I know primal scream stacks with barbarian rage but not sure about the spell. I will test that today.

I think oncoming storm is a little better because it has 2 proc chances (sonic and electric) instead of 1. I don't have room for any more twists, but if I find something better I can upgrade. Oncoming storm seems a little better than summer smoke to me.

Very interesting post, thank you. I might want to do something like this for our small guild to better be able to run HoX

One question though asked very much out of ignorance. On the wiki for the heroic raids it reads: A Bard is highly recommended in this raid to use the shards to buff the puppies to fight Xy'zzy. Why was a bard recommended yet not surpassed?
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Very interesting post, thank you. I might want to do something like this for our small guild to better be able to run HoX

One question though asked very much out of ignorance. On the wiki for the heroic raids it reads: A Bard is highly recommended in this raid to use the shards to buff the puppies to fight Xy'zzy. Why was a bard recommended yet not surpassed?
    I think if running EE Hox I would want a bard and anyone else that can help to buff the dogs also. The reason I chose this split is the druid spells and warlock enhancements apply only to pets and summons, but the bard buffs (to my knowledge) applies to anything friendly, so a bard can still buff the dogs. The only way (as far as I know) to get these buffs onto the dogs is for druid/warlock to use the stones. The warlock buff especially 30 PRR is a very significant increase to the puppy dps.

Hey Slarden, I just posted an update in the fansite section that has some videos that cover HOX pretty well. We've only done it on legendary once so far, but it seemed to be exactly the same raid mechanics. Check it out HERE if you're interested
    Thank you thank you!

This was very helpful and very well narrated. I read up on this raid and the H method seems the same as the collapse method. And I guess the patrolling method must be the O method.

So far I've run it twice using the O method and it worked good on LH, but I would like to get people used to the H method because it seems like it would work much better on LE.

I understand what you mean by the easiest raid you will ever fail. We had some lag on our 2nd run, a few quick deaths, some panic and jobs didn't go as planned, but we recovered and completed.
    Last edited by slarden; 12-20-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Thank you thank you!

This was very helpful and very well narrated. I read up on this raid and the H method seems the same as the collapse method. And I guess the patrolling method must be the O method.

So far I've run it twice using the O method and it worked good on LH, but I would like to get people used to the H method because it seems like it would work much better on LE.

I understand what you mean by the easiest raid you will ever fail. We had some lag on our 2nd run, a few quick deaths, some panic and jobs didn't go as planned, but we recovered and completed.
    Yep, the H method is also called the collapse method. I originally learned the O method back in the day and ran in that way for a long time. I prefer the H method because it's less likely to allow trash to slip by into the center. The downside of the H method is that it takes more coordination and instruction, so less pug/newb friendly than just having e1 run in a circle

Oh and we are on the same server so you should join us for it some time!

Yep, the H method is also called the collapse method. I originally learned the O method back in the day and ran in that way for a long time. I prefer the H method because it's less likely to allow trash to slip by into the center. The downside of the H method is that it takes more coordination and instruction, so less pug/newb friendly than just having e1 run in a circle

Oh and we are on the same server so you should join us for it some time!
    Yes everyone on Sarlona knows you! I joined you for a demonweb run once several years back, a few heroic shrouds and your abbot tuesday and MOD friday a few times. Think of the slowest 5 ever to learn the puzzles from your Tuesday abbotts and I would be in that group of 5.

I will look for your runs - would be a pleasure to be in your raid of course. A few people from High Lords were in the 4 eHox runs I've done.

Default Quick update

This build is working well for LH runs. For LH I charm all 3 dogs and it's usually a one-rounder. I say usually because sometimes one or two of the dogs aren't actually hitting the boss. If dps seems slow ask the tank to move the boss until DPS improves.

Also, if nobody can throw a consecration on the dogs it's better to go into divine crusader as 10% damage boost is better than +4 to the dogs stats.

Also warchanter buffs will stack so if you have someone with good warchanter stats ask them to buff the puppies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast