Default Crafting Suggestions: Which items to use.

I am looking to craft some lowbie weapons (short swords, bastard swords, long swords, khopeshes , etc.), any suggestions on which items to turn into blanks. It's been super long since I did any crafting like this so I am a bit rusty.
    Proud member of Inferus Sus
    Strykout, Strykus, Faulklin, and many others

Community Member

I'm not entirely certain you mean what I think you mean. Blanks are just lootgen weapons stripped of enchantments, so in that sense, just craft on whatever type of weapons you generally use, subject to DR rules (e.g., blunt weapon for skellies). Note that a lot of chain rewards offer BtA weapons, so you can mule a set of weapons when you outlevel them instead of recrafting each life. Also, if you happen to need flametouched weapons (bypass good DR), you can purchase BTC blanks in the tavern in Chrono.

If you actually mean what prefixes and suffixes are useful, you might want to read the Smithy Alliance and EllisDee threads. I myself typically have crafted +1 Metalline of Pure Good, +1 Holy of Lesser Undead Bane, +1 Ghost Touch of Incorporeal Bane, +1 Acid Burst of Righteousness (skelly/Delera beater), +1 Metalline Flametouched of Vertigo/Stunning. I tend to favour THF at low levels since it's less dependent on feats and has good synergy with cleaving.
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Quote Originally Posted by KezekTigh View Post
    I am looking to craft some lowbie weapons (short swords, bastard swords, long swords, khopeshes , etc.), any suggestions on which items to turn into blanks. It's been super long since I did any crafting like this so I am a bit rusty.
    A blank item is a blank item. No difference if you deconstruct a +1 dagger or a +5 uber dagger of everything bane, the blank item will be the same
    So use the cheaper one you find

The only thing that stay after deconstruct is the material
    So if you want a silver weapon, an adamantite weapon, a cold iron weapon, you must deconstruct a silver/adamantite/cold iron weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post
    The only thing that stay after deconstruct is the material So if you want a silver weapon, an adamantite weapon, a cold iron weapon, you must deconstruct a silver/adamantite/cold iron weapon
    Is this also valid for Mithral items? Logically yes, but we never know..

Community Member

Screaming of bleeding on whatever weapon you want to use.

I'm not sure, but I think the Weapon Recipes link in my signature might have the answers you're looking for.

What I use as weapon blanks:

Anything you can get from the Flametouched Iron vendor in Chronoscope. Blanks made from this will automatically do 'good' damage.

BTA special metal lootgen items. Staffs are one of the easier ones to get but you can find all sorts if you hunt.

I prefer BTA blanks where-ever possible, because it allows your items to not take permanent damage, but be used by any toon on your account.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

BTA blanks are good - these can be shunted to shared bank or alts if you run out of TR spaces, and saves you from making more than one of the same item. The downside is that I've never seen a BTA blank with a slot, and they are hard to find with special materials (silver etc) - though not impossible.

Slotted items can be nice, but those are higher ML than non-slotted, I rarely use them for that reason, but I do have a few. Mostly for non-weapons, though.

Special material weapons can be useful. I have a few holy silver of undead bane, just for making sure they hit vampires for full damage as well. It is not impossible to find these as BTA, but theyre fairly hard to get, and I generally don't bother. If and when I do get that sought after BTA special material weapon, I'll make it then and ditch the old BTC one.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Community Member

Bound to account items can be obtained from a couple of the chain quests: Sharn syndicate is a common one since the last quest will usually contain a selection of BTA weapons. You can thus use bound shards to make the items but still be able to pass them around your characters with the shared bank.

If its only going to be for a single character, look at properties that are retained in the crafting process, like materials and augment slots.
    Also skins that you like the look of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Special material weapons can be useful. I have a few holy silver of undead bane, just for making sure they hit vampires for full damage as well. It is not impossible to find these as BTA, but theyre fairly hard to get, and I generally don't bother. If and when I do get that sought after BTA special material weapon, I'll make it then and ditch the old BTC one.
    If you do Delera's and the wraps don't show up you're guaranteed to get a special metal "monk" weapon as either staff or kama. I don't think I've ever seen a shuriken or lootgen wraps there.

Sorrowdusk often has a special metal weapon in the end list (I think it may be when the wraps don't show up as well). I was able to get two staffs when farming for a Silver Cassock. I know a lot of people don't like Sorrowdusk but you actually only have to do repeat the upper Cult chain to get the end reward on a second (or later) run. Most of the quests are pretty quick if you're over level and I think it's much faster to monster through (even with running back and forth) than Delera's or Threnal.

Threnal gives special metal weapons, I've gotten a staff and a longsword there. Maybe a Kama as well.

The Waterworks is supposed to give a special metal weapon whenever Pastemaker doesn't appear in the list. I don't know what all the options are but I usually see Mithril large shields.

The Assault on Stormreach chain list has a high chance of spitting out special material weapons when the named versions don't show up.

Every 3rd list of The Tide Turns produces a special materials BTA armor (either guaranteed or at least a very high chance).

Turn the Tide (Sentinels) had a strong streak for me of special-material BTA weapons. Silver Khopeshes, etc.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Define "lowbie". You mean lvl 1 - 10, or anything below epic.

If you are looking for specific blanks, my thought would be to go for Flametouched for the DR/Good bypass in levels 1 - 10 for undead.

After that, any old blank will basically do. Augments look appealing as weapon blanks, but remember: the bump your ML. In my experience, it's not until around lvl 16 that blanks with augments start to be attractive.

As someone mentioned, Screaming of Bleed is a good all-purpose weapon. A slashing weapon of lesser undead bane, along with a blunt weapon of lesser undead bane are also pretty helpful.

I'll add a bit more, as I'm re-gearing since I can't find what I thought I could.

First, I love BTA items as they don't break and I can move them around. BTA w/ metal type on a weapon is awesome.

Second, Masterful Craftmanship should go without saying.

Here's what I generally have.

- ML3 Ring of Moderate Fort
    - ML3 Feather Fall Ring of Persuasion
    - ML1 Feather Fall Ring

I use something like this on just about everyone. Also, swaps for UA - usually in the same spot I'm using FF.

Often on casters or hybrids at low levels I use the Chrono set, so I also craft the best False Life belt I can, as that one is usually open and clear. Goggles, Necklace are usually for sneak / deadly on weapon-based builds. Caster types generally get the best crafted by-level caster stat I can in those.

Trinket is typically either the Stalwart one from Cove, or the castery one from Cove both at ML4. If I have an Ioun stone (200 SP) I'll swap it in there and move back and forth.

For weapons, I generally find these are the most useful.

- Screaming of Bleed (ML1) - for really early days
    - Holy of Bleed (ML3) - harbor and beyond
    - Possibly upgrading to a (ML5) +1 Holy of Bleed but there are enough things out there that add a +1 to your weapon, I find the magic damage flag isn't hard to find.
    - Aligned of Greater Construct Bane (for VoN)
    - Ghost Touch Flametouched Iron of Greater Incorporeal Bane (w/ the ML on this I think this comes available right before that quest in K w/ the wraiths in each room)
    - Ooze and Rusty beaters - Flametouched Iron of Everbright or Screaming Flametouched of Everbright.

I luckily have some old BTA Shock-of-Good and similar that I've tossed Festival Frost on, plus the ever-useful Carnifex. I still get plenty of mileage out of my
    old-school Maelstrom too - that thing is a beast still.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane