Community Member

Default User Preferences

So occasionally I want to login two clients at once mainly to move my son's toon to the next dungeon etc. I have installed DDO on two separate drives but both of them point to the same User Preference in the My Documents. Does anyone know what file in the Turbine folder points to the user preferences in the My Documents folder?

Thanks
    Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds it's certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Phanes View Post
    So occasionally I want to login two clients at once mainly to move my son's toon to the next dungeon etc. I have installed DDO on two separate drives but both of them point to the same User Preference in the My Documents. Does anyone know what file in the Turbine folder points to the user preferences in the My Documents folder?

Thanks
    Hey Phanes,

That's controlled by the current OS user profile. The game automatically uses whatever Documents folder content is assigned to the logged-in user at the OS level. What you want to do is called multiboxing. There are several scattered guides to doing that on the forums. Here is a link to a short and perhaps still-working way of accomplishing it.

Best of luck!

Edit:

And another in case the previous won't work.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

I believe both of those links are out of date.

They added multiboxing functionality into the launcher. Once you find and set that checkbox, just run the client twice, logging in both accounts, one after the other.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

They added multiboxing functionality into the launcher. Once you find and set that checkbox, just run the client twice, logging in both accounts, one after the other.
    Many thanks ED! I've tried the process once with success and not since the new client configuration changes. Phanes, do what EllisDee suggested and ignore my aged advice.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post

Yep I figured that out but my issue is I want the second client to run on very low graphics and no audio without having to set it each time. So I was hoping someone new the file that calls on the user preferences. if I can change it's target I could have one account login every time with low graphics.

You can create a second account in Windows and use it to run the client the second time. Each user has its own preferences. I use this to run a second client at a low resolution, low graphics, and no sound.
    (If you want to hide the second account from the login screen, see the instructions here.)

You can run a program as another account by creating a shortcut like this:
    Target: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:<name> /savecred "C:\<folder-1>\<folder-2>\...\<folder-k>\program.exe"
    Start in: "C:\<folder1>\<folder-2>\...\<folder-k>"
    Note: /savecred saves the users password and can be omitted if you would like to enter it each time.

Example: (Note: I use PyLotRO in place of the Turbine launcher.)
    Target: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:"DDO Box" /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\PyLotRO\pylotro.exe"
    Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PyLotRO"
    Note: Quotes are required around the paths. Quotes are only needed around the username if it contains a space.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJMC895610 View Post
    You can create a second account in Windows and use it to run the client the second time. Each user has its own preferences. I use this to run a second client at a low resolution, low graphics, and no sound.
    (If you want to hide the second account from the login screen, see the instructions here.)

Target: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:<name> /savecred "C:\<folder-1>\<folder-2>\...\<folder-k>\program.exe"
    Note: /savecred saves the users password and can be omitted if you would like to enter it each time.

Target: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:"DDO Box" /savecred "C:\Program Files (x86)\PyLotRO\pylotro.exe"
    Note: Quotes are required around the paths. Quotes are only needed around the username if it contains a space.
    Thanks I will give that a whirl

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJMC895610 View Post

Works like a charm.