Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Offhand effects for Thrower Builds.

Heya guys!

Looking for some updated info on what offhand effects do and do not give you a bonus while throwing.

I'll keep updating this list as we get new tests / abilities.

Confirmed Working from Offhand:
    - Doublestrike / Doubleshot
    - Tendon Slice (The new % version)
    - Greater Sunburst (on Celestia)
    - Any of the 'detonation' acid/fire/electric/cold AoE procs, both on named items and lootgen
    - Seeker, obviously.
    - Erosive (Proc of stone prison, but has a low DC, so might not be useful.)
    - Armor Piercing (Appears to not stack with other armor piercing, but works in offhand.)
    - Stealth Strike (Cannity Crafting)

Confirmed not Working:
    - Any holy / elemental effect that's NOT an AoE proc.
    - Deception
    - Improved Deception
    - Paralyzing
    - Deadly Spider Venom
    - Extra Damage vs Undead (from Sun Blade)
    - Bodyfeeder
    - Red Augment Slot Procs (On Offhand Weapons.)
    - On-Crit effects of Thunderforged Weapons
    - Greensteel Tier 3 effects (But triple healing amp is always a good option.)
    - Vampirism, in any form
    - Other crafted procs.
    -

If you think of something else, call it out.

EDIT: Did some testing with what I had laying around - turns out that deception on an offhand weapon does not work at all, even if the main hand doesn't have any form of it.
    Last edited by DarkSable; 10-08-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Erosive: offhand procs stone prison on mainhand. Works for throwers. Low DC though
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Erosive: offhand procs stone prison on mainhand. Works for throwers. Low DC though
    That's what I was thinking of, thank you!

Probably bad timing that you posted this thread just as they closed Lamannia where you could test it. I think it is safe to say that most effects do NOT work (or stopped working around the beginning of the year according to some reports) on a throwing weapon when the effect is on an offhand weapon.

Tendon Slice has been known to work for a long time (you can craft it with Cannith Crafting) so that is not really a new one i would say but Doublestrike counting as Doubleshot even when the effect on the item does not explicitly state that it works on ranged weapons just recently came up. This might be considered a bug though. But Devourer's Reaping for example explicitly states that it adds Doubleshot.

I tested Thunderforged On-Crit effects on Lamannia in July (in my Shuricannon thread post #613) and they do not work on the mainhand weapon. Neither do the other damage effects from Thunderforged that are not On-Crit.

Also according to my own tests (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5374618) and contrary to what the Wiki states different values of Armor Piercing seem to NOT stack anymore.

The effects that proc from Celestia are Greater Sunburst (not Sunburst) and Fiery Detonation. I think i have read somewhere that even the old AOE effects on lootgen and Alchemical weapons do not proc on offhand weapons anymore but i could be wrong on that.

An effect that has not been tested as far as i know is Radiant Blast on lvl 20 Mournlode weapons.

Tier 3 Shroud greensteel effects like Lightning Strike, Disintegrate etc. have been confirmed not to work on offhand weapons not even when they are found on lootgen items. I also tested Enervation from the Epic Envenomed Blade with a guildie several months ago and it did not work.

Vampirism and Lesser Vampirism do not work.

Stealth Strike from Cannith Crafting is said to work on the offhand weapon. I did not test it myself though. (And of course many passive non-damage effects do work)

Deception only works on other items that are not offhand weapons. (Post #546 in my Shuricannon thread)

I think the old Stunning effect that had a 3% chance to stun the target with a DC 33 used to work on mainhand weapons but i have not tested if it still does. Not sure if you can still find it on the crafted Tier 1 Air Alchemical weapons but even then i don't think it would be worth it.

Piercing damage On-Crit from Rebellion does not work. (tested it several months ago)
    Last edited by Firewall; 09-23-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Firewall!

You are correct that it is particularly bad timing... but even though most effects don't work when put on an offhand, that doesn't mean there aren't any that are still totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewall View Post

Tendon Slice has been known to work for a long time (you can craft it with Cannith Crafting) so that is not really a new one

I did not know this. Took my shuricannon out to epic Gianthold ruins with Razorend and was shocked by all the slit hamstrings. I prefer it to Celestia, and has a lower min level. From wiki:

Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Default deception?

Deception only works on other items that are not offhand weapons. (Post #546 in my Shuricannon thread)

from OP : Did some testing with what I had laying around - turns out that deception on an offhand weapon does not work at all, even if the main hand doesn't have any form of it.

Can anyone else confirm as I am fairly sure I still see mobs turn and walk away when hit by my Shuri's, I guess this is as I have a deception kama in my off hand! I was playing it last night.

edit! silly me I was using the shadow star. Would tendon slice and crippling work together?

crippling Kama of tendon slice?

well the tendon slice is working (cannith) thank you
    Last edited by skorpeon; 10-10-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: updating

Quote Originally Posted by skorpeon View Post
    Can anyone else confirm as I am fairly sure I still see mobs turn and walk away when hit by my Shuri's, I guess this is as I have a deception kama in my off hand! I was playing it last night.

edit! silly me I was using the shadow star. Would tendon slice and crippling work together?

crippling Kama of tendon slice?

well the tendon slice is working (cannith) thank you
    Hehe, good job. I've done that before - that and forgetting that I have items on my body that have deception and imp deception.

Tendon slice works in any form you can find it, afaik. Not positive about crippling - I know the Shimmering Arrowhead works, but that's by giving the effect to your ranged weapon.

If you want to try a crafted kama, I'd love to know if that works or not! (And if you happen to have a shimmering arrowhead, see if it stacks!)

A bit off topic but are deception and improved deception on non weapon items still stacking?

Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    A bit off topic but are deception and improved deception on non weapon items still stacking?
    As far as I know, yes. Once I get my thrower back up to level and equip both, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSable View Post
    As far as I know, yes. Once I get my thrower back up to level and equip both, I'll let you know.
    Thanks. Planning to do to some testing too as soon as I get to the cap again.

Community Member

Improved Slowburst (crafted) not working, I'd figure it probably didnt but wanted to try.

Razorend does look nice, but I don't want to give up my Seeker +8 Kama of Tendon Slice.

Question, is there any purpose one could put a Red Slot to for the offhand? I know if this was
    say a bard, the Critzilla build its recommended to boost Sonic SP, but I can't think of anything to do for my
    6Monk/9Rogue/5 Wizzie Dark Stars build. He doesnt cast offensive spells, just buffs really. Huh, I guess I could treat it as a colorless slot and buff a stat or ability, but that appears to be it...
    Last edited by LordKalkin; 11-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKalkin View Post
    ...Question, is there any purpose one could put a Red Slot to for the offhand?...
    Usually people slot a Devotion augment with positive spellpower in the offhand red slot to boost healing spells.

Community Member

for low lvls, crafted 10% ranged alacrity should work on offhand, too. This is before whirling wrists and an improved crit profile so it should be more damage than seeker.
    Zeugen der Dreizehn, Thelanis:
    Makkuroi, chain TR: currently drow pure caster warlock
    PLs: Completionist; 3xWiz, Sor; 2x Pal, Brd, Monk EPLs: 3x CotQ,Brc,DS,EW,EC 1xFH,PLD ; IPLs: 2x BF; 3x PDK, SDK

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Makkuroi View Post
    for low lvls, crafted 10% ranged alacrity should work on offhand, too. This is before whirling wrists and an improved crit profile so it should be more damage than seeker.
    Yeah, if I couldn't craft flexible alacrity I would do that.

After I hit 23, I pulled Celestia out. After using it for 2 battles, I put it away. By far I prefer the no save CC of the tendon slice over the occasional damage. It's not even close...
    Last edited by LordKalkin; 11-10-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKalkin View Post
    Yeah, if I couldn't craft flexible alacrity I would do that.

After I hit 23, I pulled Celestial out. After using it for 2 battles, I put it away. By far I prefer the no save CC of the tendon slice over the occasional damage. It's not even close...
    Lootgen, or sticking with the Seeker +8 of Tendon Slice 8% crafted?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Lootgen, or sticking with the Seeker +8 of Tendon Slice 8% crafted?
    It's crafted, and of course it's working with IPS and with no save its essential. Surprisingly enough, it procs on the thunderhome undead. No luck with spiders though.

I want to say it is making mobs move slower than Slow would, but I also have Stay Frosty active. The mobs can be accurately described as crawling.

Last night a friend gave me an erosive sickle to try. It didn't proc against harder mobs, I just used it in Stormhorne epic wildly, it worked there, but still not better than no save tendon slice.

Oh, and I also have a hGuile on, so that is more CC there.

The non-flexible Ranged Alacrity 10% can be crafted onto a trinket (ML1 w/mastercraft), so you could run Seeker of Tendon Slice on the offhand and Ranged Alacrity as your trinket and get both. Devotion can also go on the trinket, in case you are still leveling and don't have a red slot or don't want to increase your offhand's ML too early.

I have been running with Seeker of Parrying on my offhand on my (still heroic) Shuricannon, but I will switch to Tendon Slice now. Thanks for the tip. I might also start putting Tendon Slice on my Arty's runearms, albeit ML starts to be an issue for those.
    Sarlona resident (PureMouse, PlushMouse, [& other little mice], Cryosite)
    Former lurker/resident of Argonessen (Shyelle, Cheyelle, Moonsparkle)

"The first thing you need to do when considering a halfling thrower build, is learn how to bend halflings correctly so that they return." - amnota/Trelaf of Thelanis

Would the Dunrobar tendon slice ring work with the razorend adding more procs?

Quote Originally Posted by Miow View Post
    Would the Dunrobar tendon slice ring work with the razorend adding more procs?
    Not sure if they stack but I can check it in a month. Best offhand is ToEE set now but others are good til you get it and are the right level ofc.

That ring is excellent for throwers, hard to find the right combo on it. (Just saw Miow's post now.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast