Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Manager

Default Update 23 and Saga XP Gems

Hello! We want to let you know about a change coming in Update 23 regarding an earlier bug with Saga XP gems, so that you have enough time to prepare for this fix.

When Update 22 was released in June, there was a bug that allowed people to retain the XP Gems they received through completing Sagas. Update 22 Patch 3 arrived early in August, and corrected this bug, but players who had already collected these gems in their inventory did not have the gems automatically be consumed. However, it is necessary to have these gems be automatically consumed, to promote the integrity of the game, and to make sure that this bug gets properly cleaned up, so that players can have the proper expectation about the way Saga XP gems are supposed to work. Additionally, other items that should be automatically consumed (such as Guild Renown, and Astral Shards purchased from the DDO Store) will be automatically consumed.

When Update 23 is released, all remaining Saga XP gems will be automatically consumed when the character with the gems in their inventory first logs into the game. If you don’t want to have your Saga XP gems automatically consumed when you first log in, consume the gems between now and the release of Update 23. Thank you!
    Last edited by Cordovan; 08-21-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Hello! We want to let you know about a change coming in Update 23 regarding an earlier bug with Saga XP gems, so that you have enough time to prepare for this fix.

When Update 22 was released in June, there was a bug that allowed people to retain the XP Gems they received through completing Sagas. Update 22 Patch 3 arrived early in August, and corrected this bug, but players who had already collected these gems in their inventory did not have the gems automatically be consumed. However, it is necessary to have these gems be automatically consumed, to promote the integrity of the game, and to make sure that this bug gets properly cleaned up, so that players can have the proper expectation about the way Saga XP gems are supposed to work.

When Update 23 is released, all remaining Saga XP gems will be automatically consumed when the character with the gems in their inventory first logs into the game. If you don’t want to have your Saga XP gems automatically consumed when you first log in, consume the gems between now and the release of Update 23. Thank you!
    Even if it is in their bank?

What about daily dice roll gems?

What about daily dice roll gems in the shared bank?
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

When Update 22 was released in June, there was a bug that allowed people to retain the XP Gems they received through completing Sagas. Update 22 Patch 3 arrived early in August, and corrected this bug, but players who had already collected these gems in their inventory did not have the gems automatically be consumed. However, it is necessary to have these gems be automatically consumed, to promote the integrity of the game, and to make sure that this bug gets properly cleaned up, so that players can have the proper expectation about the way Saga XP gems are supposed to work.

Could we get a rough ETA on U23?
    That is, are we looking closer to 2 weeks, 4 weeks, or 2 months?

Just a general idea'd help

Thanks for the early heads up, by the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonwelder View Post

They're unbankable. If you managed to bank them, that's another bug in and of itself.

Daily dice use the same loot base, but a different interface. They shouldn't be affected.
    Or rather, Daily Dice are intended to be used at any time, the massive XP gems from sagas aren't intended to be able to be used at [lower] heroic levels [thus supplanting stones of XP. Thus far 'game integrity' seems to only refer to that element, as far as we've been made aware].

I personally ended up spending astral shards to finish up the 260k xp gem, just so I could skip levels 6 and 7 on a sorc life [because until sorcs get a new prestige, they're hella, hella boring- I've been playing elementalists for years now..] and hit my stone of xp faster- the old-school one, mind, meaning I can essentially skip almost all of the sorc life.

Ergo, my thoughts on the xp gems (not auto-using) is that they help bypass certain notable game issues (the classes with only 2 prestige paths available).

Well, in time that should be improved, and I shouldn't have any complaints any more
    Last edited by Dagolar; 08-21-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

He said "SAGA GEMS".

Apples and oranges and all that....
    Leader of Legion of Eberron on Cannith.

Characters: Loromir & Baldomir....among others.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    He said "SAGA GEMS".

Apples and oranges and all that....
    Mhhmmmm Turbine never makes those mistakes.

As for banking - I just eat mine so I didn't try. I knew they were BTC so just chomped em right away anyway....
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post

I personally ended up spending astral shards to finish up the 260k xp gem, just so I could skip levels 6 and 7 on a sorc life [because until sorcs get a new prestige, they're hella, hella boring- I've been playing elementalists for years now..] and hit my stone of xp faster- the old-school one, mind, meaning I can essentially skip almost all of the sorc life.
    Thats not the real issue - duping them is.

Community Manager

On the time frame for U23: We're not ready to announce a date, but the update does arrive on Lamannia today for its first public preview.
    Join us on Twitch!

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Awesome! That will nip a lot of issues in the bud!

On the time frame for U23: We're not ready to announce a date, but the update does arrive on Lamannia today for its first public preview.
    Which basically means 'within a month'.

Thanks

Looks like I might be better off just ERing and using it :P

Thats not the real issue - duping them is.
    Well, duping is- always is- another issue altogether, at least so long as it applies to things other than xp gems.

If the gems are dupable, then yes, that'd definitely explain the energy the devs put behind keeping them auto-use- though the problem with that is that the impression the devs have reliably given is that it's an issue with access to the XP itself.

Of course, the devs have been misleading in the past, and if they don't want to emphasize the exploit, they may feel it's better to let the misunderstanding continue.

Still, though, what we've gotten from the devs suggest they have an issue with the non-auto-use itself, and so that's the point we'll keep debating over in continuing discussions, until we're given another impression

Community Member

I have no problem with this per se....

But it's pretty obvious that you're saying, "We will not or cannot fix the underlying problem at this time."

Not good. Xp stones are the least of the problem.

Community Manager

Update: Additionally, other items that should be automatically consumed (such as Guild Renown, and Astral Shards purchased from the DDO Store) will be automatically consumed. Added to the OP.
    Join us on Twitch!

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Update: Additionally, other items that should be automatically consumed (such as Guild Renown, and Astral Shards purchased from the DDO Store) will be automatically consumed. Added to the OP.
    By shards, I believe the items that would drop in inventory and you consumed to add the shards to your pool.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    By shards, I believe the items that would drop in inventory and you consumed to add the shards to your pool.
    Yes. Typically both these and Guild Renown are auto-consumed, but this is meant to ensure it.
    Join us on Twitch!

Community Member

Thanks for telling us about the bugfix! It's really great to know when a major change, bugfix or not, is coming down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    I have no problem with this per se....

But it's pretty obvious that you're saying, "We will not or cannot fix the underlying problem at this time."

Not good. Xp stones are the least of the problem.
    It's just good coding practice. If good coding practices were followed in DDO's past, the game wouldn't be in this constantly-broken state that is it now. Ever notice how Crag bunny-hops around Gianthold? Some areas where there's a bunch of lag for no reason? Character select memory leak? Mobs going through walls and floors? A million and two other bugs that simply can't be fixed until DDO's entire backend (if not the whole game entirely) is recoded? Even if it's "Too little, too late", we still need to strongly encourage good coding practices.
    Last edited by Merlin-ator; 08-21-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LFKnowledge View Post
    Someone writes a book about your favorite character in DDO. What is the title of the book?
    The Lord of the Rungs, starring Frodo Laggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    There's no lag, it's D&D trying to become turn based again.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    Ever notice how Crag bunny-hops around Gianthold?
    This is WAI, it was a bug but people said they liked it so they decided not to try and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    This is WAI, it was a bug but people said they liked it so they decided not to try and fix it.
    It's pretty fantastic, you have to admit.

I want to see an actual boss have that as their movement animation.

Monty Python bunny, anyone?

Love the information campaign on this issue.

Well done.
    I can be found on Orien as Cilon
    HC7: Typhoon, Dreaded Knight, and Wish. HC6: Naivety. HC5: Who Is Here. HC4: Cylon Centurian. HC3: Soulstone in Your Pack. HC2: Carnage

But...my heroic deeds looks so cool.
    Give every person a gun and the richest man is the one that sells crutches

Quote Originally Posted by Seikojin View Post
    That will nip a lot of issues in the bud!
    I don't think it means what you think it means.

nip something in the bud
    to prevent a small problem from getting worse by stopping it soon after it starts
    A year+ after isn't quite nipping it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast