Exclamation 14 pally/ 6 ranger

Looking for a ranged pally build. I know pally and ranger don't have alot in common but idc. i got +3 tomes except con which is +2. i don't want monkcher or 10kstars, already done it. i got 3 ranger past lives. epic destinies don't matter.Choosing AA tree. Deciding between chalice knight and defender. if elf, dex for dmg with longbow. half~elf would be str based. wanna have high hp/saves. AGAIN, no monk or monkcher/10kstars. Need a build with feats and stats per lvl. Bows:Lit 2, Sinew, Silver Flame, Epic earth bow and other non important ones.

You have 14 too many paladin levels.

14 pally for the spells. if that's a no no, then could be 12 i guess and 8 ranger or 12 6 2 pally rgr rogue. eh, i don't see anything wrong with 14 pally.

Unhappy

Help, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitres View Post
    Help, anyone?
    Paldins are that bad, there is no help.

You might consider a Pyrene build, though I'm not sure it was ever updated for the enhancement pass. It's mainly melee but does get manyshot. I think it was 14/4/2 pally/ranger/monk.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Problem with AA pallies is most of their abilities don't work w/ranged atks; I think Divine Might & Favor are the only two which do. So, are you just doing this for pally PL? Will you be only-ranged, or will you melee too?
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Problem with AA pallies is most of their abilities don't work w/ranged atks; I think Divine Might & Favor are the only two which do. So, are you just doing this for pally PL? Will you be only-ranged, or will you melee too?
    always ranged. not really any melee but if str based, then yeah. no special weps, though.

Community Member

always ranged. not really any melee but if str based, then yeah. no special weps, though.
    Is paly for the past life or is there something in particular you want from paly? If it's not for past life, I'd recommend fighter instead. If it is for PL, then you've pretty much picked the one thing paly sucks at. If you really want the PL and insist on being ranged... maybe go 11/9 to get evasion from ranger to go with your nice saves. Put enough AP in Kotc for some heal amp, improved resto, damage boost and divine might (if str based), enough in SD for some LoH and maybe saves aura if you have enough, then the rest in AA and DWS (and racial). If elf you can skip DM, which is good since you'll need those pts in racial tree (I can see spending as much as 25 on elf tree without Elvin AA). And optionally you can take the racial AA tree so you can capstone it (but since capstone is borked I wouldn't bother since it'll cost you about 10 AP to get +2 dex and 10% doubleshot and screwed up imbues).

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Is paly for the past life or is there something in particular you want from paly? If it's not for past life, I'd recommend fighter instead. If it is for PL, then you've pretty much picked the one thing paly sucks at. If you really want the PL and insist on being ranged... maybe go 11/9 to get evasion from ranger to go with your nice saves. Put enough AP in Kotc for some heal amp, improved resto, damage boost and divine might (if str based), enough in SD for some LoH and maybe saves aura if you have enough, then the rest in AA and DWS (and racial). If elf you can skip DM, which is good since you'll need those pts in racial tree (I can see spending as much as 25 on elf tree without Elvin AA). And optionally you can take the racial AA tree so you can capstone it (but since capstone is borked I wouldn't bother since it'll cost you about 10 AP to get +2 dex and 10% doubleshot and screwed up imbues).
    That's a pretty good idea. I'm not really doing it for pally PL, just wanna try it

Thumbs down Also!

I would like some higher saves and hp. Especially Will.I know monkcher would be better but i don't like it. What starting stats would be good?

KoTc tree also seems pretty cool. maybe can get a defensive stance from defender too.

I'd look into 12/6/2 or 8/6/6 (8 being pally). Nothing amazing among lvl4 pally spells that can't be UMDd or clickied anyway.

Not much in pally synergizes w/ bows, but you could squeeze something in from turns and passives. KoTC damage bonus should work (dunno if it does). For third class, could go for kensei fighter or occult slayer barb (since you likely won't be switching weps that often anyway). 2 monk possibly for evasion and extra feats (rogue + pally irks me for lore reasons). I've been thinking of a similar build myself - for fun mostly.

I'd also recommend sticking to basics from AA and focusing more on DWS - more variety and utility. Also, DWS +devotion and pally +heal amp should give you decent heals.

No idea if/how defensive stances work with bows or stack with ranged stances. Please post if you find out. Do avoid anything that adds to your threat though, or everyone will hate you.

As for stats - elf with DEX, some WIS for SP, CHA for saves and UMD.
    Last edited by Ausdoerrt; 10-24-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

That's an issue, cuz like I said, not much synergies between pally + ranged; I could see doing rgr 12 / pal 6, or maybe something offbeat like rgr 15 / pal 4 / ftr 1, but that's a rgr with a bit of pally in them, not a mostly-pally build which uses bows.

I mean, it's still doable, ofc, it just seems like you're taking a bunch of lvls in a class which does nothing for you.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    That's an issue, cuz like I said, not much synergies between pally + ranged; I could see doing rgr 12 / pal 6, or maybe something offbeat like rgr 15 / pal 4 / ftr 1, but that's a rgr with a bit of pally in them, not a mostly-pally build which uses bows.

I mean, it's still doable, ofc, it just seems like you're taking a bunch of lvls in a class which does nothing for you.
    Well, you could be doing it for lore reasons - a Silver Flame Pally.

Also, between KotC and DWS, you could get a pretty mean undead and outsider slayer.
    "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. ... People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true." Terry Goodkind

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    You have 14 too many paladin levels.
    Yup

Default Been playing with...

I've been playing with some Pally splashes that have been working out ok.
    11 Ranger/6 Monk/3 Pally
    -Solid ranged capabilities with 10k stars, many shot, IPS, tier 5 AA abilities and saves all above 50 when I TR'd at lvl 24. Using Pinion for range & Sireth in melee to stay centered.

12 Monk/6 Ranger/2 Pally
    -currently working on this variant, but should have similar capabilities and better saves. Will continue to use Pinion for range & Sireth in melee to stay centered.
    Charater Names: Mostly Jeryle for the dudes and Merreth for the ladies
    Main: Wizards and Healers
    Officer of Unbreakable

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    I'd look into 12/6/2 or 8/6/6 (8 being pally). Nothing amazing among lvl4 pally spells that can't be UMDd or clickied anyway.

As for stats - elf with DEX, some WIS for SP, CHA for saves and UMD.
    This is what my current Paladin life is running now: Pal 8/ Rgr6/ Mnk6.
    Solid stats all around (lowest save is 31 at L11 pre-greensteel/raid gear).

It's more melee oriented (centered short swords/bow) but has solid range as well (thanks to all the bonus feats).
    Leveling order is a bit tricky because I went for the Grandmaster Stances so Mnk6 by Level12, Rgr6 by Level15 (for Greater TWF).

Since you don't want to use Monk levels, Rogue/Fighter would be alternative classes. Fighter would give you more feat variability while Rogue would add in trapskills, keep evasion, and add in more sneak dice.
    Last edited by sgz; 11-19-2013 at 12:52 PM.