Community Member

Default Will Sorcs be gimp after the enhancement update?

I'm considering TRing my Sorc but I am worried about the upcoming enhancement update. Will I be better waiting and TRing him into a Wiz or an Arti?

Cheers

Clearly your best option is to wait for the enhancement pass to go live and then you can decide for yourself.

Community Member

You will get a LR+20 so you can relevel it into any class you want.

So go ahead and TR if that's what you want to do, if you don't like your sorc you can make it a pure wiz or arty.
    TPICKRELL forum identity still broken, 15 weeks and counting... So yet another throw away Forum identity

Community Member

Let me preface this by first saying that I am overall a huge fan of the new enhancements. Theyre giving quite a few fresh and powerful options to many classes and class combos. Unfortunately, Sorcerer is not one of them... Not only are sorcs gimped with the new enhancements, they're practically unplayable. You're forced into the savant tree, which in turn means you are forced to gimp yourself heavily in the two other elements. Your SLA's are nothing to write home about compared to other classes, kiss your wand/scroll enhancements good-bye, and don't even bother using the elemental forms as they penalize you rather heavily in all other elements.

Here is the breakdown:
    Savants are based heavily on increases to caster level.
    Increasing caster level has been shown to not work correctly if at all.
    Decreasing caster levels, unfortunately, works 100% of the time.
    In the end, your bonuses to caster level are doing nothing while the negatives are all working.
    If it weren't for the spell power per point spent (at .75 per point while every other spellcaster class gets 1 per point) then you would actually be better off not spending ANY points into class enhancements at all!

So yes, Sorcs are gimped rather heavily. In all fairness this is not due to them intentionally lowering the power of the class, it is due to bugs in the system. If caster level bonuses were working they would actually be pretty damned sweet, but lets face it... the system has been broken for many years without any acknowledgement whatsoever so I doubt it is going to get fixed any time soon.

My suggesstion - either bank your sorc and wait until Acolyte of the skin is released, or use your free TR20 (I'm assuming they're giving each character one when it goes live) to be any other class but Sorc. Druids (except animal form druids... they got it in the butt just as bad or worse than sorcs), Wizards, and Staff Rogues came out pretty amazing with the enhancement pass. Try one of them.

The enhancement pass has my Sorc rocking in the corner and crying softly to herself. Fortunately the other options that are now available are so amazing that I don't much care. I'm gonna TR into a Druid17/Ranger2/Wizard1 and not look back
    Last edited by richieelias27; 08-07-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Nobody can answer this question until we see the final beta. My guess is that'll be in a few days.

Then you'll know.

They were going to be, until a week or so ago. Not anymore.

More news coming Thursday probably (when Open Beta hits IMHO).
    Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I don't think you get a choice.. you are Rys's minion..

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    They were going to be, until a week or so ago. Not anymore.

More news coming Thursday probably (when Open Beta hits IMHO).
    They would have to delete the current savant enhancement tree and start again from scratch. Seriously. Either that or add Acolyte of the skin so we can ignore Savant completely.

*edit*

You know what? I believe I have a hat to eat. They said they were going to fix sorcerer, I didnt believe it possible, and they pulled it off. They still feel incredibly pigeon-holed what with the severe forced penalty into 1 or 2 elements, but they at least finally get something back for it.
    Last edited by richieelias27; 08-09-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richieelias27 View Post
    They would have to delete the current savant enhancement tree and start again from scratch. Seriously. Either that or add Acolyte of the skin so we can ignore Savant completely.

*edit*

You know what? I believe I have a hat to eat. They said they were going to fix sorcerer, I didnt believe it possible, and they pulled it off. They still feel incredibly pigeon-holed what with the severe forced penalty into 1 or 2 elements, but they at least finally get something back for it.
    How do you consider them fixed? Because of the 10 to chosen element spell power per core ability?

Quote Originally Posted by richieelias27 View Post

*edit*

They are still bugged as hell. If they fix those, Sorcs won't be gimp. Right now, they are.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbby View Post
    You will get a LR+20 so you can relevel it into any class you want.

So go ahead and TR if that's what you want to do, if you don't like your sorc you can make it a pure wiz or arty.
    Looks like I'll wait for the update, use my LR+20 to turn myself into a Wiz (for the free past life), then TR into a Wiz.

I still don't understand why the devs hate Sorcs so much, but it looks like they are trying their best to make them the least played class.

Default Depends on your build...

Generally speaking, based on the new enhancements, Sorcs will not be GIMP.

Will they be a bit less powerful? Yes - especially in their off element
    Will Wizard be a better choice for max DPS? Probably - but I haven't had a chance to test it yet
    Will a Wizard be better for CC? Yes - always has been.
    Will this be the death of Shiradi? Heck no - Shiradi Sorcs will actually benefit from the enhancement pass (More on this in another post)

In short - with all the DOOM about the new enhancement pass, I'm actually liking it.

Is it ready for live? Nope - Not yet - they're doing a lot of changes quickly though, which tells me they're taking bugs and balance seriously (LOL)
    Will it get pushed out with U19? I'm still thinking yes - although I wouldn't mind if they held off until U20 if it guaranteed they got the majority of the bugs out

Are YOU ready for the new enhancement pass? That is the question - if you get a chance hop on over to Lama-land just to check it out.
    "Melkorr (Completionist "Toaster of Vengeance") ~ Angrond (TWF Jugg) ~ Telchacar ~ Celebrimor (Bank) ~ Manados
    Thelanis

Officer of The Innfellows

Quote Originally Posted by thesnoman View Post
    Are YOU ready for the new enhancement pass? That is the question - if you get a chance hop on over to Lama-land just to check it out.
    Lama is down as of a minute ago. I doubt it will come back up before going live.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thesnoman View Post
    Yup, I'm ready.

I've got my Sorc sitting at cap waiting for his respect and TR.

Sorcerer was my favorite class and I'll be sad not to be able to play one but I refuse to play a character that does everything worse then a Wizard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    How do you consider them fixed? Because of the 10 to chosen element spell power per core ability?
    I consider them fixed in intent, yes. The added spellpower actually brings them back in line with their chosen elements. The additional perks given at level 12 gives them a little extra edge and multiclassing options. Granted the extra abilities (vulnerability with air, slow with ice, dots with fire, etc) are bugged at the moment, but *assuming they fix them* I feel like they will be playable again. I was satisfied with the damage I was doing with the SLA's.

If they keep the level 12 core abilities as only affecting one mob at a time and losing stacks every 2 seconds.... Well those abilities will be worthless then.
    Last edited by richieelias27; 08-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Community Member

With the way Divine Might currently is working, Sorcs can actually be the strongest class in the game, literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    With the way Divine Might currently is working, Sorcs can actually be the strongest class in the game, literally.
    What?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Someone didnt read the whole description of the ability, right? You get your charisma MODIFIER as bonus to str. Having in mind some barbs can hit 100 str, you will need 200+ cha to be stronger. GL with that!

I just learnt that so Sorc now don't have enhancements to the force line (except for +10 at the final tier)....
    I used to be an air sorc, minoring force, so can have a range of force missles, disintegrate, ice storm, meteor swarm to use...
    Now no more high crit disintegrate