Community Member

Default Best conversational skill

Id like to put some points into either diplo/intim/bluff but i can only pick one and make it meaningful. Which one would have the most effect all through the game? Used in the most amount of quests with the greatest reward?

Unless you're playing a tank - Forget Intim!

Diplo is in my opinion far weaker than Bluff over-all!

So I have to say that unless you're playing a Tank - Take Bluff!

Class is an important piece of information that we do not have.
    If you are a rogue, take bluff. If you are a tank or a barbarian, take intimidate. I don't think there's ever a call for taking diplomacy.

If you're asking about actually using the skill on mobs, then I'd go with bluff. It's more useful.

If you're asking about conversations with NPCs with social skill checks, hmmm, let's see:

Bluff
    Delera's part 4, saves 1000 plat
    Partycrashers, pulls tieflings to library (generally lower dc than using intimidate)
    Partycrashers, talk your way past the guard upstairs
    Chains of Flame, save Gaspar Goldpike
    Relic of a Sovereign Past (10% base XP, one chest)
    Schemes of the Enemy optionals (very high DC)

Intimidate
    Partycrashers, pulls tieflings to library
    Relic of a Sovereign Past (45% base XP, no chests)
    Crucible, talk to the champions (1 of the 3)

Diplomacy
    Partycrashers, sends brainwashed guards away before pulling tieflings to library
    Relic of a Sovereign Past (10% base XP, one chest)
    Crucible, talk to the champions (2 of the 3)
    Schemes of the Enemy optionals (very high DC)

There are no doubt many more, but these are the ones I can think of off-hand.

EDIT: Added relic.

Quote Originally Posted by ripperj View Post
    Id like to put some points into either diplo/intim/bluff but i can only pick one and make it meaningful. Which one would have the most effect all through the game? Used in the most amount of quests with the greatest reward?
    I would say that depends mostly on how you want to play your char,

Bluff: makes enemy turn their backs, so monster will be affected by sneak attack and to a certain point will affect their concentration/behaviour, also can be used to "call" monsters unnoticed by surrouding monsters.

Diplomacy: works basicaly as anti-intimidation, if you succeed on your roll all surrounding monsters will lose interest in you and find some other target to crush, this of course is not too useful if playing alone and can also bring some anger from your group mates, also helps reduce threat.

Both skills have some effects on NPCs interactions on quests chat options, being diplomacy more commongly used, but this is really some minor thing in my opinion.

So depends on how you play, diplomacy can be a really good life-saver for a rogue that suddenly finds "too much attention", while bluff has also its use, in general I prefer diplomacy but is a matter of taste and playstyle, this preference comes mostly from the fact that if you act well as a rogue you will not really need to make them turn their backs, you'll be doing sneak damage all time even facing monsters, also with diplomacy you can have some fun on certain ocassions
    Under and behind and inside everything this man took for granted, something horrible had been growing.

Server: Cannith - Toon: Holamdar - Guild: GODS

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    There are no doubt many more, but these are the ones I can think of off-hand.
    Diplomacy: Relic of a Sovereign Past (high DC): optional to avoid final fight, get extra +50% quest base reward and lose 1/2 chests, if not enough high DC fight only king, lose 50% quest base reward and get 1 chest

All in all as you can see choose one for the quest rewards is a bit useless, I would rather choose skill for normal play rather then 3 or 4 quests in whole game
    Under and behind and inside everything this man took for granted, something horrible had been growing.

Server: Cannith - Toon: Holamdar - Guild: GODS

In terms of quests, I think either intimidate or diplomacy would be the best people skills.

Partycrashers require Intim or Bluff
    Cruicible requires Intim and Diplomacy
    The Deal and the Demon requires Intim for the last part
    King's Forest has intim and Diplomacy in some rares I think.

I can't remember that other people skills quests right now.

Quote Originally Posted by alvarego View Post
    Diplomacy: Relic of a Sovereign Past (high DC)
    Nice, added. That dialogue actually allows all three skills.

The single item that make diplomacy more valuable is no doubt Audience with the Queen from Shiradi Champion. If you take that ED, then Diplomacy is a must.

My rogue has a standing diplo in the mid sixties - max ranks in skill, +7 cha item, +20 diplo item, GH etc.

It almost never works. If you're a bard then it might help, but otherwise I'd go bluff.