Thread: A great idea!

Default A great idea!

I just had an epiphany. Instead of going around your large and expansive guild ship to buff up, which is annoying especially through the loading screens. Why not have a SINGLE stone that gives u all the buffs that the ship has all at once? Think about it !

Default re

Quote Originally Posted by Boromirs View Post
    I just had an epiphany. Instead of going around your large and expansive guild ship to buff up, which is annoying especially through the loading screens. Why not have a SINGLE stone that gives u all the buffs that the ship has all at once? Think about it !
    While i am inclined to agree from an efficiency standpoint....i think the "time-sink" is one of those necessary evils of all MMOs.

Community Member

Might as well just make all the buffs on the boat permanent so long as the shrine is on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravelock View Post
    While i am inclined to agree from an efficiency standpoint....i think the "time-sink" is one of those necessary evils of all MMOs.
    I disagree. DDO has actually made strides to take away of lot of the time-sink/non questing aspects of DDO. They've added full-heal after exiting a completed quest, so that players no longer had to go wait in a tavern after each and every adventure. They added house teleporters, phiarlin pendant of time and guild ship navigators, so that players can get from where they are to where they want to be much faster. They have re-arranged quest givers location (multiple times even) to make getting and turning in quests more convenient for players. They added city regeneration, so that players can regain small amounts of health and SP on their way toa quest, rather than being forced to spend time in a tavern for even minor damage/sp loss.

In many ways, DDO has actively worked to cut out the unnecessary bits of non-gameplay between quests. Granted, some non-gameplay "features" still need looking at, including:

• How long it takes to get a full round of shipbuffs, as mentioned in the op,

• The need to visit taverns to change spells or regain hp/sp outside of quests, as well at the painful duration of waiting for tavern food/drink to actually do it job,

• Travel distance from "main areas" to some questing areas (Reaver's Refuge and Shavarath specifically),

• The unskipable travel through some explorer zones to get to certain quests (Like Demon Queen part1 or Co6),

• The horrible repeating and/or grindy flagging mechanics for some quests (Necro 1-3, Necro 4 sigils, and to a lesser extent Titan pre-raid, Gianthold relics and Stealer of Souls gems)

• Some quest givers being unfun to deal with, either because they are very far away from the quest (Relic of a Sovereign Past, Sane Aslyum, Delaras part 3, etc), or have WAY too much fluff dialogue to get through (Mirras Sleepless Nights, The Depths series, etc)

All in all, though, this game has much less timesink in it than it used to, and is worlds away from other games where a 30 minute jog between quest hubs seems reasonable.

At least do some work for your easy button, man . Shipbuffs are completely optional, no need to make it that easy to get em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Thumbs down

It's been said before and some are for and some against count me against

Beware the Sleepeater

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    I disagree. DDO has actually made strides to take away of lot of the time-sink/non questing aspects of DDO. They've added full-heal after exiting a completed quest, so that players no longer had to go wait in a tavern after each and every adventure. They added house teleporters, phiarlin pendant of time and guild ship navigators, so that players can get from where they are to where they want to be much faster. They have re-arranged quest givers location (multiple times even) to make getting and turning in quests more convenient for players. They added city regeneration, so that players can regain small amounts of health and SP on their way toa quest, rather than being forced to spend time in a tavern for even minor damage/sp loss.

In many ways, DDO has actively worked to cut out the unnecessary bits of non-gameplay between quests. Granted, some non-gameplay "features" still need looking at, including:

• How long it takes to get a full round of shipbuffs, as mentioned in the op,

• The need to visit taverns to change spells or regain hp/sp outside of quests, as well at the painful duration of waiting for tavern food/drink to actually do it job,

• Travel distance from "main areas" to some questing areas (Reaver's Refuge and Shavarath specifically),

• The unskipable travel through some explorer zones to get to certain quests (Like Demon Queen part1 or Co6),

• The horrible repeating and/or grindy flagging mechanics for some quests (Necro 1-3, Necro 4 sigils, and to a lesser extent Titan pre-raid, Gianthold relics and Stealer of Souls gems)

• Some quest givers being unfun to deal with, either because they are very far away from the quest (Relic of a Sovereign Past, Sane Aslyum, Delaras part 3, etc), or have WAY too much fluff dialogue to get through (Mirras Sleepless Nights, The Depths series, etc)

All in all, though, this game has much less timesink in it than it used to, and is worlds away from other games where a 30 minute jog between quest hubs seems reasonable.
    I haven't thought deeply enough on the OP, but THIS post is one of the things I LOVE about DDO. Yes, there are still worthless timesinks here and there - and walking to fleshmaker or Ghosts of Perdition after you've gotten sufficient S/R/E stuff done is a LONG walk BUT, those are not the norm, and I appreciate every improvement to reducing that lost time!

give me a viking long ship, with the buffs all lines up in a row

Community Member

Really they just need to add an NPC (not a buyable crew member) on the ships that grant each character (not account) a set number of airship beacons per day.

Also, as I have never used a beacon they need to be two-way if they are not already.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

It would just be nice if ship buffs were permanent until you switch characters or die.

Would it be easier? Yes.

Would it be good for the game? No.

Ship buffs are already too much of a gimme in lots of ways.

One of the nice things about the new zone is that until you get your favor up on your character, you pretty much resign yourself to not using them and going back to using spells, items, gear, etc. for your buffs.

Any boost to ship buffs I'd rather see applied to the favor vendors first.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    Really they just need to add an NPC (not a buyable crew member) on the ships that grant each character (not account) a set number of airship beacons per day.

Also, as I have never used a beacon they need to be two-way if they are not already.
    That would be awesome, on both counts, 'specially with House C and FR being awkward to jump in and out of.

Not sure about how it balances to the FR Key, and it'd trash store purchases of the portals [does..anyone actually buy them, anyway?], but it'd definitely be convenient.

Heck, perhaps a guild-stylized quest that has a chance of dropping a 1/day charged item, ala Ghola-Fan and the teleport mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennie View Post
    I disagree. They have re-arranged quest givers location (multiple times even) to make getting and turning in quests more convenient for players.
    Except von 4. Somehow when they re-arranged the quest givers to be closer they moved this guy a long ways away. I always laugh at this one

I just wish that ship buffs would pause while in a public area.
    When asked, "What are we going to do tonight?" the only acceptable answer is, "The same thing we do every night...Try to take over the world!"
    Sarlona - Auralana, Orcalana, JuicyLucy, Aquani, Wistia, Aurabella, Guildy, etc. If you see the last name Hather, it's either me or the hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaer View Post
    Except von 4. Somehow when they re-arranged the quest givers to be closer they moved this guy a long ways away. I always laugh at this one
    Some quest givers have been moved, not all. Most notably in the harbor (e.g Guard jung used to hang out near the leaky dinghy area, making players have to jog across the entire harbor just to get/turn in Kobolds New Ringleader).

Still, nothing beats Relic of a Soverign Past. Not only is the dialogue to pick up the quest horribly annoying (There are about 4-6 dialogue options, and none of them are very obvious that they are quest related, so I often end up clicking at random if i forget which option to pick), but the quest giver is NOT EVEN IN THE SAME FRIKKIN HOUSE as the quest! And its not like hes very close to the house teleporters either!

Zone into temple -> get quest -> zone to house D -> run halfway across the house D zone to get to teleporter -> zone to house K -> run across approximately 3/4s of house K to get to the caravan -> zone to Black Anvil Forest -> short jog to quest entrance -> FINALLY zone in to actual quest. When finished, repeat in reverse.

I mean, come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Auralana7214 View Post
    I just wish that ship buffs would pause while in a public area.

Signed

~Icon~, ~Darkblight~, ~Blaklotus~, ~Trappedn~ and Trapnhaggle

I remember a few years back there were similar requests about house P buffs. Before quests you would hear "grabbing house P buffs" which required lots of clicking.

I don't have a real strong opinion either way, but I wouldn't count on seeing a change anytime soon.

Community Member

Shipbuffs make the game lame.

Ship buffs should not work:
    in epic content
    on a TRed characters
    in the forgotten realms (that is the new stuff right)
    in challenges
    on any character under level 4
    On any character over level 19