Default Frozen Tunic (ML 16, tier 3): What to put into it?

While thinking of some useful equip for my AA, I was pointed towards the frozen tunic. It's a very interesting item, and the craftable +3 property allows some unique customization.

I'm trying to compile a list of shard combinations which seem to be good choices. If I am missing something neat, please don't hesitate to add your personal favorite.

+3 Potential choices (result will be an ML:20 item)
    • Deathblock
    • Dusk (10% concealment)
    • Superior Stability (+ 6 deflection bonus to AC and+ 6 resistance bonus to saves if TN)
    • Blood Rage
    • Lionheart + Spearblock
    • Unbalancing + Axe/Hammer/Spearblock
    • Reflex Save +5
    • Adding Masterful Craftsmanship will not help to reduce the ML

+2 Potential choices (result will be an ML:20 Item)
    • Spearblock
    • Greater Stability (+ 4 deflection bonus to AC and+ 4 resistance bonus to saves if TN)
    • Reflex Save +4
    • Adding Masterful Craftsmanship will make any of these an ML:18 Item.

+0 Potential choices
    • Masterful Craftsmanship will make it an ML:14 Item.
    Last edited by karl_k0ch; 04-10-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Second post to keep the OP clean.

Some questions unclear to me:
    Am I under the right impression that you can only fit in at most one prefix and at most one suffix?
    Am I under the right impression that you cannot overwrite shards crafted into this robe?

Also, a question of personal interest: What would you craft for a toon who is primarily using ranged weapons? I'm tending towards the Lionheart + Spearblock option.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Default Some Answers

You can combine Prefix and Suffix as long as the Shards Total + does not exceed 3.

WHATEVER you add will raise the Minimum Level higher than 16 (Deathblock will make it a level 20 item)

You can use Shards of Masterful Craftmanship to lower the min-level by 2.

Hope it helps.

Am I under the right impression that you can only fit in at most one prefix and at most one suffix?Yep.

Am I under the right impression that you cannot overwrite shards crafted into this robe?Yep (since U13)

Also, a question of personal interest: What would you craft for a toon who is primarily using ranged weapons? I'm tending towards the Lionheart + Spearblock option.
    I have a bunch of different ML Frozen Tunics for levelling my ranged character; I leave them all blank to enjoy the earlier ML since I TR a bunch and, as you're experiencing, there's nothing that exciting to put on them.

The epic version is better than any alternative crafted version of the ML16 one to me, but if I were to craft on the 16 version for levelling, I'd also go Spearblock. From memory that's a potential of 2, so takes you to a ML 18 item anyway. I'd swap to the epic tunic at 20, so would never use the final +1 of potential.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    From memory that's a potential of 2, so takes you to a ML 18 item anyway. I'd swap to the epic tunic at 20, so would never use the final +1 of potential.
    Good catch. I did not think of this.
    Can a Mark of Cannith be used to reduce the raised ML?

I see that 1-2 epic slots are great, but the other added enhancements are not of a great importance to a ranged toon, are they?

Yep. Masterful Craftsmanship drops ML by 2. I use the ML 16 Tunic from 14 to 20 on a TR.

Yeah... I like it solely for the Fireshield on hit, Freezing Ice proc and augment slots; that said, if you don't need the augment slots I see your point. Freezing Ice (Minor, Lesser and Adjectiveless) all seem to have a save, so I think that's another factor in favour of the final upgrade.
    In Von 3 the breakables in the Troll Ambassador optional room are slow to get to and unnecessary for ransack.

For leveling, I apply the master craftsmanship shard and then don't craft anything else onto it, that moves it to ML 14. Getting it sooner is more useful to me than crafting something in the slot and not getting it until 17 or 18.
    Khyber -- Grubbby, Grubonon, Gralak, and all the gang of *grubs* in the Homeboys of Stormreach.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Yeah... I like it solely for the Fireshield on hit, Freezing Ice proc and augment slots; that said, if you don't need the augment slots I see your point. Freezing Ice (Minor, Lesser and Adjectiveless) all seem to have a save, so I think that's another factor in favour of the final upgrade.
    According to http://ddowiki.com/page/Freezing_Ice, the DC is 35, regardless of the tier of Freezing Ice.
    And there is another nice feature regarding the duration of the proc for ranged weapons.

Thank you very much for your insights, you helped me a lot to get some ideas what to do with the tunic.

To me, it looks like I'm either going Mark -> (at 18) Spearblock -> (at 20) Lionheart, or make me 2-3 different robes, if I want them for multiple TRs.
    Last edited by karl_k0ch; 04-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Enchantment save +6 is nice if you don't have easy access to FOM, it stacks with regular resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    Unbalancing + Thorn Guard (1d8)
    Those are both prefixes.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Those are both prefixes.
    Thanks for pointing this out.

no lifeshield?
    and i'd go superior stability for my TN toons
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    According to http://ddowiki.com/page/Freezing_Ice, the DC is 35, regardless of the tier of Freezing Ice.
    And there is another nice feature regarding the duration of the proc for ranged weapons.

Thank you very much for your insights, you helped me a lot to get some ideas what to do with the tunic.

To me, it looks like I'm either going Mark -> (at 18) Spearblock -> (at 20) Lionheart, or make me 2-3 different robes, if I want them for multiple TRs.
    Much obliged Karl! I have learned a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    no lifeshield?
    Life shield is effectively a stacking DR of 1.5/-, so I do not consider this to be a very good choice.

I love Deathblock, because I don't like gear swaps.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Interesting the information on the wiki suggesting that there is overall only a 2 AC difference between the L16 and epic versions for a ranged/unarmed character.

I'd suggest that this might be fixed in the future.

Otherwise, Superior Stability all the way. Mind you, I'll stick with epic version on my archer as it is going to be where toughness goes, I don't think there are any other places it can go.

This is my gear layout:
    Head: Epic Helm of Mroranon (yellow: GFL)
    Gloves: Epic Gloves of the Claw
    Cloak: Wretched Twilight
    Boots: Madstone Boots
    Trinket: Epic Gem of Many Facets (yellow)
    Bracers: Windhowler Bracers
    Belt: GS MinII +45 HP Belt
    Necklace: Gilvaenors Necklace/Shintao Cord
    Goggles: Epic Raven's Sight
    Armour: Epic Frozen Tunic (toughness)
    Ring1: Epic Ring of the Stalker (yellow, clear)
    Ring2: Gilvaenors Ring (+2 exceptional strength)/Kyosho's Ring (Holy Burst)
    Weapons: Epic Bow of Earth, Epic Thornlord, Earth/Water Alchemic Bow, LitII GS Bow, Air/Water Alchemical Handwraps

And even if I had another slot available it would be for good luck rather than a L16 frozen tunic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    I love Deathblock, because I don't like gear swaps.
    This. Especially if you don't have Deathblock somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

I'd probably revolve around

Unbalancing
    Deathblock

... depending on the character in question

Unbalancing: Rare ability that amounts to something similar to destruction.

Deathblock: Hate the gear swaps

... why not the others?

Life Shield: First, I'm a DR junkie. You say only "1.5 more stacking DR" and I say OMG "1.5 more stacking DR". That said, the characters I have wearing these are sadly, decent AC. Life Shield won't proc.

X Block: I'm a DR junkie. I want more universal DR.

Stability: If TN, absolutely. However, my first priorities for this are monk splits.

Resist: I want resist 5 or stability generally and aim for that on all my characters.

Dusk: Yo, you're wearing a ring of the stalker. No stacky.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane