Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Get Your DirectX 10 Screenshot Featured on ddo.com!

Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ is pleased to announce the introduction of DirectX 10 technology to the game and to celebrate, we're inviting players to participate in the DDO DirectX 10 Screenshot Contest! Send in your favorite pictures from DDO using DirectX 10 and it may be featured on ddo.com! We’re looking for screenshots that really show off the dynamic lighting, beautiful water effects, and incredible shadowing that can now be found in DDO on machines running DirectX 10.

For more information, see the rules below. Good luck! We look forward to seeing your screenshots!

RULES:

• To enter the DDO DirectX 10 Contestsend your entry to ddo@turbine.com with the subject line DDO DirectX 10 Contest.
    • Three (3) entries per player per week.
    • All screenshots should be unedited, although cropping is allowed. Screenshots MUST be taken with DirectX 10 graphics enabled.
    • All entries must be original and created and/or owned exclusively by the player submitting the screenshot.

All entries must include the player's name, e-mail address, primary player and/or forum name (if any), and desired name to credit (i.e., real name, player name or forum name).
    The contest is open to registered players who are legal U.S. residents age 18 or older at the time entry is submitted with an active account and current subscription. The contest begins on October 20th, 2008. Entries may be submitted until midnight Eastern Standard Time on November 17th, 2008.
    Turbine will select up to three winning entries each Monday until November 17th, 2008. Each week’s winning entries will be announced in the forums on Wednesdays, with the final week’s winners announced on Wednesday, November 19th, 2008. Turbine, Inc. will select the winning entries based on composition, subject matter, and best representation of DirectX 10 technology (shadows, lighting and water effects). The winning screenshot may be featured on ddo.com.
    All decisions will be made by Turbine, Inc. in its sole discretion and are final. Players who submit a winning entry will be required to execute an Assignment and Release. Failure to execute and return the Assignment and Release within the time frame specified may result in another entry being selected as winner.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
    Participation in the contest constitutes players’ full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these rules and terms and conditions. By submitting an entry, each player grants Turbine, Inc. a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to reproduce, modify, prepare derivative works of, publicly display and otherwise use, in its sole discretion, any entry in any and all media for any and all purposes, including, but not limited to, incorporation into future Turbine, Inc. products or services and the advertisement and/or promotion of Turbine, Inc. products or services. Turbine, Inc. shall have no liability for any alleged or actual infringement of a third party’s rights in connection with any entry. Turbine, Inc. may assign, transfer or sublicense this license without notice to a player. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to edit entries as necessary in its sole discretion.
    Turbine, Inc. is not responsible for lost, late, undeliverable, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries, or for any computer, online or technical malfunctions that may occur. Entries that are not in full compliance with the terms and conditions are void. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to disqualify any player who, in Turbine, Inc.’s sole discretion, has circumvented or attempted to circumvent these terms and conditions and to render void any subsequent entry by such player. Turbine, Inc. further reserves the right to cancel the contest at any time without notice. Turbine, Inc. is not required in any way to use any entries in Dungeons & Dragons Online™, The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™ or Asheron’s Call® or any other products or services. Employees of Turbine, Inc., its licensors, distributors and agencies are excluded from participation. Prizes, if any, are not redeemable for cash. In the event that prizes are unavailable at the time they are awarded, Turbine, Inc. may substitute prize(s) of equal or greater value. Lost or stolen prizes cannot be replaced.
    By submitting an entry, each player agrees that they have not or will not receive any compensation or other consideration for their entry. Each player further agrees to release and hold harmless Turbine, Inc. and its licensors, distributors, agents, shareholders, directors, officers, employees and representatives from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in connection with their participation in the contest, including, not limited to, claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. All federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary to enter or win.

...once again, Turbine competitions are only open to U.S. residents

Garth

Garth 20/ftr (Kensei) Haeson 20/clr Cairis 12/ftr 6/rgr 2/rog Xortan 20/wiz
    Tinosa 20/brd Garthbot 20/fvs Gaarth 18/ftr 1/rgr 1/rog (Stal Def)
    Tibetan 20/mnk Automatic DDO raid timers Haezon 20/sor (Conj)

I might be missing something here, but would i be correct in thinking that we are to download a dx10 graphic pack?

If so please show me the link, Judge Judy's about to start and I needs to watch her.

Show me someone who believes in something, and I will show you a fool : Kerr Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ is pleased to announce the introduction of DirectX 10 technology to the game and to celebrate, we're inviting players to participate in the DDO DirectX 10 Screenshot Contest! ...... The contest begins on October 20th, 2008. Entries may be submitted until midnight Eastern Standard Time on November 17th, 2008. ......
    So is the X10 support coming out prior to mod 8 or is this a hint as to when it may be live?
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by deathtouch View Post
    I might be missing something here, but would i be correct in thinking that we are to download a dx10 graphic pack?

If so please show me the link, Judge Judy's about to start and I needs to watch her.
    If by download you mean "buy Windows Vista" sure. Dx10 does not exist for XP at current time.

Nor will it ever with the development of Windows 7 to cover for Vista's mistakes..

Face it, XP is a thing of the past (it was their best and you can't make money on a product that has reached it's pinnacle) That's where windows Vista and it's successor comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Minds View Post
    If by download you mean "buy Windows Vista" sure. Dx10 does not exist for XP at current time.
    ~Requeim ~ Aviale ~ Tomein ~ Twillee ~ Vizzini
    Officer of Fallen Heroes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper
    <+Keeper> Monks make the best guacamole..

Quote Originally Posted by Turial View Post
    So is the X10 support coming out prior to mod 8 or is this a hint as to when it may be live?
    Well it'll be available on Risia at first. When Mod 8 comes up, the contest will still be going on , so whether your screenies come from Risia or Live, either way is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzini View Post
    Nor will it ever with the development of Windows 7 to cover for Vista's mistakes..

Face it, XP is a thing of the past (it was their best and you can't make money on a product that has reached it's pinnacle) That's where windows Vista and it's successor comes into play.
    Vista is awesome if you have the hardware to run it, people who complain are people like my family who try and run vista on a laptop with 512meg of ram and integrated video card!

Show me someone who believes in something, and I will show you a fool : Kerr Avon

Community Member

Default Risa Open

Direct X 10 is nice but not sure its there yet, no toggle in graphics options.... Guess they brought it up for the upgrade tomorrow. Graphics I am am seeing ARE better than on normal servers but not sure Directx 10 in effect. Rest of Server looks like it did last time it was up, not Updated. Still has Arrowhawk errors on items so no update yet.
    Last edited by Baron; 10-13-2008 at 07:53 PM.

DX10 is significantly better if the software is written to use all the new DX10 pipelines. Turbine will be hamstrung by the fact that they can't drop DX9 support or all the XP users will not be able to play - check out the microsoft docs on DX10 if you don't believe me.

Re: vista - my Dell came with vista preinstalled and the first thing I did was to swap the HD and install XP. I got all the latest drivers and all the latest hotfixes installed, and fired up DDO, and it ran slower than Vista. I can't explain it... anyway - I'm still under Vista, but people are right that it does need a lot of power (especially Memory) to get the most advantage.

Good luck on the screenshot contest! Since I can't enter I'll be posting them on the forums

Garth

Quote Originally Posted by willphase View Post
    DX10 is significantly better if the software is written to use all the new DX10 pipelines. Turbine will be hamstrung by the fact that they can't drop DX9 support or all the XP users will not be able to play - check out the microsoft docs on DX10 if you don't believe me.
    I don't believe any new game will launch without DX9 support for at least another year. Vista and upgraded video card requirements would alienate too much of the gamer marketplace. I'd guess probably M$ games would be the first... but that's killing a lot of sales... with their raw drivers/OS launch of Vista, many people had bad experiences with Vista and won't try it again.

I personally went with Vista 64 because 8 Gigs of RAM is now ~$150 after rebates. Multilayered photoshop on 10 megapixel cameras outstrips the 2Gig limit pretty quickly.
    Casual DDOaholic

DirectX 10

Only available on Vista, no Windows XP

Videocards

All add-on videocards above the 100 price range, in the last year, has DirectX 10 support.

I believe some onboard graphics have dX10 support, built within the last year, but non in the lower price range.

A list of DirectX 10 videocards, note this may not be a full list.

GeForce 8400 GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8300 GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8400M G - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8400M GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8400M GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    Geforce 8500 GT- DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 9500 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    Geforce 8600 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    Geforce 8600 GTS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8600M GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8600M GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8700M GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 9600 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce GTX 280 - - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce GTX 260 - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 9800 GX2 - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8800 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8800 GS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8800 GTS - DirectX 10
    GeForce 8800 GTX - DirectX 10
    GeForce 8800 Ultra - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8800M GTX - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 8800M GTS - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    GeForce 9600 GT - DirectX 10 - HDCP Ready
    Radeon HD 2000 Series
    Mobility Radeon HD 3400 - DirectX 10.1
    Radeon™ HD 3000 Series - DirectX 10.1
    Radeon™ HD 4600 Series
    Radeon™ HD 4800 Series

if anybody has more up todate list ill add more to this list
    Last edited by Theboz; 10-14-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    Member of Mythical

Radeon HD 2400 and 2900 cards are also DirectX 10.0 capable. The Radeon HD 4000 series are DX 10.1.

Community Member

Since there is no actual prize being given out, why are you restricting it to US residents only?

What's the point, beyond insulting the rest of your player base?

I come back to the game and get greeted by unplayable lag day after day... and now that's followed up with a big FU from Turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by 7-day Trial Monkey View Post
    Since there is no actual prize being given out, why are you restricting it to US residents only?

What's the point, beyond insulting the rest of your player base?

I come back to the game and get greeted by unplayable lag day after day... and now that's followed up with a big FU from Turbine.

They can't, they dont have any rights to do so in other countries, Since turbines place of business in here in the states they can only offer contest for people who live here in the state.

if you want to win a prize if youlive in Europe, then you need to go to http://www.ddo-europe.com/?territory=EnglishUK and play on there servers.
    Member of Mythical

Community Member

I don't live in Europe.

They don't seem to be giving away any prizes, at least nothing is mentioned in the OP.

So again I ask, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by 7-day Trial Monkey View Post
    I don't live in Europe.

They don't seem to be giving away any prizes, at least nothing is mentioned in the OP.

So again I ask, why not?
    Well, let's make this clear:

A business operating in the USA cannot, LEGALLY, offer a contest of any sort, prize being physical or simply a notoriety on a website, to anyone not residing within the USA and respective territories thereof. It's not Turbine, this is the US Government. Go complain to them.
    "Oh yes, I bring the funny."
    Szalkerous - Aytara - Gilanthlas - Ambralas
    Proud veteran guild officer of the Umber Hulks on Thelanis.
    Proud guild member of the Knights of the Silver Dragon on Thelanis.

Quote Originally Posted by szalkerous View Post

A business operating in the USA cannot, LEGALLY, offer a contest of any sort, prize being physical or simply a notoriety on a website, to anyone not residing within the USA and respective territories thereof. It's not Turbine, this is the US Government. Go complain to them.
    See? There's another legal guy out there!

I was going to say this, but instead I'll just say /QFT.

That having been said, be glad it's not further limited by state laws which prohibit some contests (NY for example precludes a lot of offers for some reason...).
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by szalkerous View Post

Oh really? Got a U.S.C. cite for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Typically the reasons for restricting competitions such as this are related to tax, as any competition winnings that are monetary in value have to be taxed.

I'm surprised Turbine can't come up with something sensible to compensate those players outside the US that isn't taxable - perhaps a unique in-game item, or a forum title?

Garth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast