Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by stockwizard5 View Post
    Anyone have some data on the Save DC vs DBFB?
    I *think* that on normal, 28 is a fail. I'm really not sure though, as it might have been on hard.

edit: err, ok my mind is mush, too much work lately, I'm pretty sure on my ranger 3+26 passes and 2+26 fails.

Post Everybody's favorite Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by tihocan View Post
    Anyone has gathered enough data to figure out the exact DR / Fortification of the Pit Fiend? (at least on normal).
    I'm trying to figure out what would be my best weapon against him... would be so much easier if we could save our combat log

My own guess would be DR 20 and 25% fortification, but it's based on nothing solid.
    15/good and 15/silver; 50% fort. And of course it gets worse on hard/elite...

As always, numbers subject to change in the future, so don't take this as unchanging gospel

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyGazebo View Post
    15/good and 15/silver
    Wait, so this means a holy-only weapon (not silver) still bypasses half his DR? Hmm... I always thought it was just a DR/Silver+Good. Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Qzipoun View Post
    Wait, so this means a holy-only weapon (not silver) still bypasses half his DR? Hmm... I always thought it was just a DR/Silver+Good. Interesting
    That means that if you have a good weapon, you bypass the 15/Good but you don't get pass the 15/Silver.

DR doesn't stack.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Quote Originally Posted by Borror0 View Post
    That means that if you have a good weapon, you bypass the 15/Good but you don't get pass the 15/Silver.

DR doesn't stack.
    in other words, if it isn't both good AND silver (or transmuting): don't even bother trying to overcome the DR.
    Last edited by Laith; 03-28-2008 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laith View Post
    in other words, if it isn't both good AND silver (or transmuting): don't even bother trying to overcome the DR.
    Yes, exactly.

You need both Silver and Good, otherwise you'll be facing either of the two DR.

15/good and 15/silver; 50% fort. And of course it gets worse on hard/elite...

As always, numbers subject to change in the future, so don't take this as unchanging gospel
    You're a veritable font of DR information lately.
    Have a question about the Eberron Setting?
    Ask a Loremaster.

Post Dr

Quote Originally Posted by Qzipoun View Post
    Ahh, DR, the most misunderstood system in the game

DR is listed by what ignores it. The highest DR that your weapon doesn't bypass applies, and all others are ignored.

So if you stick him with a boring normal sword, his DR stops 15 points of damage (either one applies, and they're each 15)
    If you stick him with a silver sword, that ignores the 15/silver, but the 15/good stops 15 points of damage.
    If you stick him with a good-but-not silver sword, that ignores the 15/good, but the 15/silver stops 15 points of damage.
    If you stick him with a good+silver sword, that ignores both, so his DR does nothing.

So in short: if your weapon is good+silver, his defenses are ignored. If it doesn't have both of those, he blocks 15 points of the damage.

Transmuting counts as silver (and all other materials); holy adds "good" to your weapon.

DR is listed by what ignores it. The highest DR that your weapon doesn't bypass applies, and all others are ignored.

So if you stick him with a boring normal sword, his DR stops 15 points of damage (either one applies, and they're each 15)
    If you stick him with a silver sword, that ignores the 15/silver, but the 15/good stops 15 points of damage.
    If you stick him with a good-but-not silver sword, that ignores the 15/good, but the 15/silver stops 15 points of damage.
    If you stick him with a good+silver sword, that ignores both, so his DR does nothing.

So in short: if your weapon is good+silver, his defenses are ignored. If it doesn't have both of those, he blocks 15 points of the damage.

Transmuting counts as silver (and all other materials); holy adds "good" to your weapon.
    Transmuting also counts as Flametouched Iron, and so also bypasses Good at the same time ^_^
    "Traps don't do damage. They ask you to do damage to yourself." -Andy Menard
    Release your inner dwarf. Then get him some ale!

Actually, Transmuting makes you bypass all DR, as per its description (except DR/Magic but that might have been fixed by now). You don't need a Transmuting of Pure Good to get the job. The only DR not bypassed by Transmuting is DR/-, as it can bypass "all damage reduction that can normally be bypassed".

I don't have much to add to the conversation other than to say this....

...in part 1 of the Shroud, my main role as a cleric is to heal the group. I don't have greater construct bane weapons and since I'm more of a healer than a fighter I don't have a ton of good weapons in general. However, I've found that weapons "of pure good" do red damage on the portals rather than yellow, at least when it comes to the "bonus" damage from the pure good. So, it might not be much, but every little bit helps! If you want to be part of the "portal smackdown" and don't have a decent weapon, you can at least do some damage with a pure good weapon.
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Oops - somehow I posted the above statement in the wrong topic...
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Much appreciated

Community Member

Doesn't transmuting weapon bypass any DR in the game? That is what the suffix description says about it. So a regular transmuting sword should get past both the GOOD and SILVER parts of Mister Pit Fiend's DR.
    Would Grease spell make him slip?

Quote Originally Posted by GORAK View Post
    Doesn't transmuting weapon bypass any DR in the game? That is what the suffix description says about it. So a regular transmuting sword should get past both the GOOD and SILVER parts of Mister Pit Fiend's DR.
    Would Grease spell make him slip?
    The transmuting property of a weapon allows it to change its physical makeup to mimic any of the metal atributes that a weapon can have. As such it can bypass the silver portion and the good portion by becoming some odd metal mix of silver and flametouched iron.

Grease could make him slip but its not likely as that little tech was removed from raid bosses a while back.
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

Post DR and transmuting

Quote Originally Posted by GORAK View Post
    Er, yeah, I forgot how impressive transmuting was.

Indeed, a transmuting weapon will bypass both the silver part and the good part, and thus is a great thing to hit a pit fiend with. The only types of DR that transmuting doesn't bypass are */Epic and */-, both of which are quite rare.

Interesting way to explain it... is it coded as 15/good, 15/silver or 15/good and/+ silver?
    970 sp and counting
    Help Fix Ranged Combat for Everyone. Come help complete the DDO Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Turial View Post
    Interesting way to explain it... is it coded as 15/good, 15/silver or 15/good and/+ silver?
    heh, people will always be confused by DR.

in the case of the pitfiend, he has 2 seperate DR entries:
    15/silver
    15/good

let's imagine a different case:
    15/silver
    10/good
    3/adamantine

in this case
    a silver weapon overcomes the 15/silver DR, but is still subjected to the 10/good and 3/adamantine. 10>3, so DR = 10.
    a good weapon overcomes the 10/good DR, but is still subjected to the 15/silver and 3/adamantine. 15>3, so DR = 15.

a silver good weapon overcomes the 15/silver and 10/good DR, but is still subjected to the 3/adamantine. DR = 3.

in this particular (imagined) case, if you could only choose one type to have on your weapon, silver is best (as it overcomes the largest DR value).
    in the case of our pitfiend:
    a silver weapon is still subjected to 15/good, even though it ignores the 15/silver.
    a good weapon is still subjected to the 15/silver, even though it ignores the 15/good.
    Last edited by Laith; 03-28-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Post More about DR

Quote Originally Posted by Turial View Post
    Internally, he's coded as having two separate DRs: the first is 15/good and the second is 15/silver.

It's similar to the warforged paladin who has DR/adamatine from his forgeyness, and DR/evil from casting angelskin -- an enemy with an evil adamantine sword gets to ignore both, but an enemy who just has evil will falter on the adamantine and one who just has adamant will falter on the angelskin.

DR 15/good,silver would be a DR that gets bypassed by good OR silver. This is the notation that leads to the every-few-months forum thread by someone who gets a spearblock item, and doesn't understand that "3/bludgeon,slash" means it will block piercing attacks, but not bludgeon or slash (and everything physical should be one of those three types, so this is how DR expresses "will stop piercing attacks only")

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast