Talking New "type" of PvP?

I wasn't sure where I should put this, but I figured why not in the section of the forums that most of the population ignores and yells at? :P

Anyway, as the Eveningstar pack introduced, there were two challenges in which a person or team enters an arena and fights waves of enemies, with the waves supposedly getting more and more difficult, until you fight a boss and win. Or die.

Anyway, would implementing a type of PvP, not Player vs Player necessarily, but a Gladiator type of arena/combat challenge be worth the effort? A team could get together, select their difficulty rating, and go fight. The rewards could be based on level, so a team of level 6's would be fighting for a grand prize of...8,000XP and 50 Healing Potions. Something with an XP value, so it's potentially worth running depending on how risky (or bored) you feel, but also with a sizable material value, so that a "newbie" can acquire some potions, without breaking the bank.

A team of higher level players could fight for Renown for instance, slaying "Legendary" beasts to improve the fame of your guild, or perhaps they could introduce even MORE "challenge" loot and you could earn trophies to purchase rewards in the Colosseum.

Thoughts, complaints, rants, derogatory speeches or all of the above?

I'm not sure I am understanding you correctly but is sounds like you are looking at a mechanic where a group can take turns losing so that they can power level each other.

Well as it is now you do get "renown", just not the type you are looking for.
    You get "experience" as well, both of the player-to-player kind, wasn't it meant to be that way?

Community Member

Default Arena!

I don't think this belongs in the PvP forums. Probably should go in ideas and suggestions, but anyway...

Sort of like the arena in Final Fantasy?
    I've always wanted an area where you could set up spawns for solo or group play. The area doesn't have to be fancy, just an open field with walls and gates for the monsters to enter.

An idea I've had lately is make this unlockable with the monster manual- that is, once you've unlocked all the spider deeds, you can go to the arena and spawn whisperdoom (or 10 wisperdooms! or any type of spider) to fight.
    Make it so you can choose the CR of the monsters.
    Keep the XP and loot rewards fairly low.

This would also give casters a great place to go test out and practice spells.

/signed.

also add only caster vs. caster and melee vs. melee, none of this "meteor swarm the 1rst melee you see come down" cr@p
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    **** you forum folk...**** you all!!

While I am not for devs spending time on PvP changes, I am also not going to whine if they do.

What I am against is having PvP be meaningful to your character. Thus getting xp and/or items is something I am completely against.

DDO is a strictly PvE game, with PvP tossed in for testing and gameplay break purposes. Since the game is not, nor should be, balanced around PvP play then there should be no rewards, other than satisfaction, for winning.

Lastly, as someone pointed out, this is rife with exploit potential, so another reason not to implement.

However, if you want the mechanic with no rewards, then I see nothing else wrong with your suggestion.
    Male Fairy: "Dont cry my dear. You know what I do when I'm sad?"
    Felicia Day Fairy: "Look douchy..."

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    Actually, if this Nerf's one of Shade's barb's I doubly support this!

you know that you can set your own rules ( like decline classes, level and such ) in the already existing PvP options ? ( and do that with parties of characters )

The only thing is that it's not the Lobster Pit. It's the other PvP options.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Legendary beasts....

Quick the Terrasque is moving toward Shadowdale!!! We must do something!!!

It would be like an EQ raid with a bunch of people beating on it for 20 minutes straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago. Note - This was posted in 10/2013 (when concurrency was ~4x what it is today)

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Legendary beasts....

Quick the Terrasque is moving toward Shadowdale!!! We must do something!!!

It would be like an EQ raid with a bunch of people beating on it for 20 minutes straight.
    And you still lose since noone has wish loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Letrii View Post
    And you still lose since noone has wish loaded.
    This, and make it an hour
    It'd be a good raid just to try entomb it, would take lots of beating at it just to draw aggro to pull it towards the trap.
    And conceivably you'd fail the quest if it manages to destroy the world in the process :P

There's a book, "Endless Quest: Clash of the Sorcerers", that describes how many mages and archmages had to sacrifice their lives to do this.
    And naturally some villain would someday try to break the seal (which btw turns up to be a follower of Lolth)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix-daBard View Post
    I'm not sure I am understanding you correctly but is sounds like you are looking at a mechanic where a group can take turns losing so that they can power level each other.
    ^This
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Kind a like Oblivion's Arena? I like it.

/signed
    Farm Epic Elite Chests by yourself.
    Hide of Goristro ~5 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIwV...ature=youtu.be
    Spider Silk & Stone Heart ~2 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSABE...ature=youtu.be