Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Salutations.

I'm the developer in charge of our treasure system.

You'll be pleased to note that random treasure does not, in fact, discriminate in any way based on race, class, gender, time of day, favorite color, or any other means.

It's just a random roll on a table of results that I or another designer has set up.

We have no plans at this time to make chests have class-based treasure, as this would have a negative impact for many players. When you find items that you are unable to use, I'd suggest selling them to a vendor, trading them to another player, or putting them on the auction house for another player to purchase.

Community Member

Random Loot encourages teamplay/friends in groups. Looting everything by yourself without ever sharing with anyone is suboptimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    Old Birthday Cakes of Wishes don't turn into new Six Year Old Cakes.

Community Member

Totally.

They have the system set up, so relatively less coding, just apply it to chests as well as end rewards, and keep the option to turn it on or off for those of us multiclassers/inventive players.

Now, do we extend this to Raid chests? I would say no. Too many issues with that.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    When you find items that you are unable to use, I'd suggest selling them to a vendor, trading them to another player, or putting them on the auction house for another player to purchase.
    ...or you could break them down for essences you can make some wicked effects with cannith crafting even when you've only got a few levels.

Anyways I'm with FoS it would be a really bad idea to have drops be class based because way too many multi-class builds (and even some single-class builds) don't adhere to what their primary class is "supposed" to be...My two favorite Characters are a Wizard12/Fighter6/Rogue2 Tank and a Monk12/Fighter7/Arty1....I'd hate to never get D-Axes, Light Armor or other melee goodies on the former and the latter needs Bows and the like not Handwraps, Kamas or Shurikens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Salutations.

You'll be pleased to note that random treasure does not, in fact, discriminate in any way based on race, class, gender, time of day, favorite color, or any other means.

It's just a random roll on a table of results that I or another designer has set up.

We have no plans at this time to make chests have class-based treasure, as this would have a negative impact for many players. When you find items that you are unable to use, I'd suggest selling them to a vendor, trading them to another player, or putting them on the auction house for another player to purchase.
    I am happy to award to you the title of Special Cultural Ambassador on behalf of the Committee of Transsexual Warforged and Halflings who Like Mauve on Sunday Afternoons, and Plaid on any Other Given Time, as well as of the Action Group for Accepting Plaid as a Color.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Salutations.

Ok, so you're the guy I need to talk to about what some us call toon luck?

More seriously, pure random is the way to go and I'm glad to hear there's no plans to change this.

Salutations.

Could you at least make them more level appropriate. Why am I pulling +1 resistance cloak from a level 20 quest?
    Main - Dinomyte, Leader of the Cult of the Onyx Pikachu
    Alts - Skrapheep, Nimbleklutz, Magnarok, Metocalypse

Give us a checkbox option to "only take class-appropriate loot from chests" or something, please?
    Those are not pebbles surrounding the urn filled with Human teeth. They are megaliths!

9. 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM

Reason
    nm

Salutations.

Thanks for the reply Feather... Um so why the pink Docets? ;-). Maybe something a little less flamboyant? I mean it looks good om my female WF...but...the gang gives me a hard time when my male WF wears the same item.... From The Mindsunder reward. Docet of Battle.

;-)

Glad to hear you got this under control and clearing this up before it gets out of hand.
    Blackmoor Defenders (LVL - 193)
    Ghallanda ...Lhazaar 2006
    Forum-ID u779 : Guild Leader of The Blackmoor Defenders

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Random loot is awesome, and keeps the game interesting.
    Plus, class-based loot is what end rewards are for.
    Loot is NOT random. That is the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    Whacky idea: wait until you've got lots of chests, then post aggregate results.
    I will post my data as I see fit, thanks.

(emphasis added)

I'm telling you, it is NOT random (it was back in 2010 however). I will prove that it is no longer random, something has broken it. Check the work of others then. Team development is a challenge to put it politely. Thanks for your reply, and I kindly request that you take a good hard look at this, QA it to death, test with low level characters, test on multiple servers... etc. It is not random at all from my observations.

Fine, I can accept that, I do still request that you do your best to restore the previous random loot behaviour. To repeat myself one more time just to be sure: chest loot is not currently random.

Of course I have been selling and crafting these items a great deal, it is just a major burn that when the big items do come up they are consistently all fighter loot now.

Check the work of others. Review your version control system for changes made since late 2010. Something has changed this behaviour, and I trust your word, so this must have been unintentional.

I will post more data as I acquire it.
    Last edited by DynaBonk; 05-07-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Salutations.

Really? Then what is this all about? It is checked by default and has to be disabled by the player. I realize that a lot of end loot (especially quest chains) has set choices to fill the list with, but there are many that are completely random, no?

Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Community Member

It occurs to me that I did not play with a hireling cleric back in 2010 where I do now, there is a possibility that this could be the reason for the difference in the loot behaviour that I observe. I would review the code in areas where hirelings might affect it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    Really? Then what is this all about? It is checked by default and has to be disabled by the player. I realize that a lot of end loot (especially quest chains) has set choices to fill the list with, but there are many that are completely random, no?
    Hi Ganolyn. Thought you were gone, glad to see you're not!

We're discussing chest loot here - completely separate from quest rewards, which is what the option you mention affects. It does not affect chest loot from my observations and I believe that is the intended behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by DynaBonk View Post
    Hi Ganolyn. Thought you were gone, glad to see you're not!

We're discussing chest loot here - completely separate from quest rewards, which is what the option you mention affects. It does not affect chest loot from my observations and I believe that is the intended behaviour.

Oh, I realize that. I was just questioning FoS's assertion that end rewards were not random. They seem random at times, but I just want a confirmation that they are always selected from a set list.
    Last edited by Ganolyn; 05-07-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

The stuff handed to you by a person after completing a quest is "Oh, hey, you're a <foo> you might like one of these."

The stuff you find lying about in random boxes (aka chests in dungeons) is random stuff in a random box.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

Salutations.

Ah, Chester the Avatar of the loot gods approves of this message and adds:

"Drink more haste potions..."

Oh, I realize that. I was just questioning FoS's assertion that end rewards were not random. They seem random at times, but I just want a confirmation that they are always selected from a set list.
    I was speaking with regard to treasure chests.

As for quest end rewards, that option only applies to lists that would otherwise be random. If an end reward list has any special items in it (special crafting ingredients, named items, for example), then it is unaffected by the Quest End Rewards Based On Class selection. That is why Quest End Rewards Based On Class does not function on quest end rewards in the Vale of Twilight, Necropolis, Red Fens, Reign of Madness Part 1, and any other locations where any item has been set manually to have a chance of appearing on a reward list.

I hope that clears it up for you.
    Last edited by Feather_of_Sun; 05-07-2012 at 09:08 PM.

I was speaking with regard to treasure chests.

As for quest end rewards, that option only applies to lists that would otherwise be random. If an end reward list has any special items in it (special crafting ingredients, named items, for example), then it is unaffected by the Quest End Rewards Based On Class selection. That is why Quest End Rewards Based On Class does not function on quest end rewards in the Vale of Twilight, Necropolis, Red Fens, Reign of Madness Part 1, and any other locations where any item has been set manually to have a chance of appearing on a reward list.

I hope that clears it up for you.
    I'm curious as to why you made the special crafting ingredients rewards lists completely random?
    it would seem to me that the mechanics for having a special named item in a rewards list with a special item is in place already with the guild renown tokens. not knowing the code for renown i can't say it would be easy to convert to special crafting ingred but logically it seems like a perfect fit, from my ignorant perspective.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

why not change it so you can choose what you want, rather then randomness.

nothing worse than being skunked on a 20th run.

you have an expansion coming up, use the opportunity to try something new?

Quote Originally Posted by t0r012 View Post
    I'm curious as to why you made the special crafting ingredients rewards lists completely random?
    it would seem to me that the mechanics for having a special named item in a rewards list with a special item is in place already with the guild renown tokens. not knowing the code for renown i can't say it would be easy to convert to special crafting ingred but logically it seems like a perfect fit, from my ignorant perspective.
    If I remember correctly, they tried that initially and later on there ended up being unpredictable behavior with the reward lists. For just some people, the lists would end up blank or with only a couple of items on them. Unable to track down just how the code was producing those effects, they changed to this setup which, while not ideal, at least gives everyone all of the reward choices they are entitled to.

Programming can be an odd occupation. Not all coding mistakes have noticeable effects at the time they are made, but then sometime later, maybe years down the road, somebody uses a variable with the same name or otherwise does something that shouldn't cause problems and the programmer is left scratching his head because there really is nothing wrong with his/her code. And for some problems, the original mistake could be anywhere, in any other part of the program.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast