Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    When the Wizzy dropped did he agro on someone outside of the main room and reset? Was everyone in the party actually in the main room? I could see something like this happens if his agro swaps to someone out of range or unreachable so he resets.
    We were all in the puzzle room. Practically on it actually.

Plan was to form a wall with the wizzy behind us. When aggro switched due to dot dps we intended to pin him much like groups do with raid bosses, surround and pound. Problem was that the poor guy threw dots/dps spells immediately instead of allowing us to get his aggro. He panicked and tried to run, and such was the end of him in less than two steps.

Funny part was that our wizzy friend kept aggro. Or, at least, gained it again upon being resurrected. He was too eager and too prone to panic to make the plan work. Sanyasi's health reset to full following every death.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

FlimsyFirewood

Hey folks,

I'm the dev who made the fight. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact mechanics of his health reset, but I think it has to do with him running out of enemies.

In other words, if he kills every player who hurt him, he should reset back to 100% and go back to his patrol route. He also does that when he gives up the chase, when a player becomes unreachable, for instance with dimension door. So that part is WAI.

If you had multiple people fighting/nuking him and he resets after he kills just one, that sounds fishy to me, he should instead switch to chasing the second most hated attacker (the person who did most damage, usually). But that's just from the top of my head without looking at the dungeon and digging in the guts of it.

Thank you for submitting the bug. Sounds like there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    We were all in the puzzle room. Practically on it actually.

Plan was to form a wall with the wizzy behind us. When aggro switched due to dot dps we intended to pin him much like groups do with raid bosses, surround and pound. Problem was that the poor guy threw dots/dps spells immediately instead of allowing us to get his aggro. He panicked and tried to run, and such was the end of him in less than two steps.

Funny part was that our wizzy friend kept aggro. Or, at least, gained it again upon being resurrected. He was too eager and too prone to panic to make the plan work. Sanyasi's health reset to full following every death.
    Well, regardless of where your party was located, bug or not, it's fairly evident by the re-aggroing and reseting health that the boss wasn't 'spotting' the rest of the party.
    Now, I know, from my own experiences, that if you're in the hallway, down around the area nearish to where the pad on the right side is, he sometimes doesn't aggro until you move forward or attack. Since the sorc attacked before you all could arrange any aggro, it may have bugged from that, or you may simply not have moved forward enough after.
    While the hallway aggroing is exceptionally quirky in the manner I noted, I've never seen him completely bug out on it, so unless it's specific to the manner your sorc grabbed the aggro, I'd suggest the issue came with how your party responded to the hallway issues.

Likewise, if you run into the room at the back, sometimes he'll chase you inside, sometimes he'll run back away, but most often he'll reset back to puzzle room.

(And I've seen the hallway/room elements repeated numerous times on different servers, with different party compositions, so I'm confident in their reproducibility. It's actually quite annoying when you're trying to reset him, or keep his aggro, by running into the room at the start, and it does the opposite.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

I recall running this over a year ago, and we fought the boss cos no one knew how to solve the puzzle. EVERY time someone died, his HP went back up to full, regardless of how low it was. I recall a dev discussing this quite some time ago, and that this *IS* working as intended, because you have the option to skip that fight and just solve the puzzle to instantly defeat him. Its all tied in with the fact that hitting him has a chance to blow one of the puzzle tiles. The "correct" way to beat the quest is to solve the puzzle without doing any damage to him at all. Otherwise, expect a very difficult, very nasty fight, and you BETTER be able to deal with his massive damage and not die, or the fight simply will not end. These factors are intended to push you to solving the puzzle instead.

In any case, the fact that he regains all HP is nothing new. Its been in the game for at least a year. And he always rebounds after traveling just a short distance away from the puzzle, most likely to make players stay in the puzzle room and deal with the traps. Its also a great way to reset his aggro if the wrong person aggroes him, rather than the designated kiter.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Hey folks,
    I'm the dev who made the fight. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact mechanics of his health reset, but I think it has to do with him running out of enemies.

In other words, if he kills every player who hurt him, he should reset back to 100% and go back to his patrol route. He also does that when he gives up the chase, when a player becomes unreachable, for instance with dimension door. So that part is WAI.

If you had multiple people fighting/nuking him and he resets after he kills just one, that sounds fishy to me, he should instead switch to chasing the second most hated attacker (the person who did most damage, usually).
    I think the key here is that usually only one person damages him and gets agro, so after they die, he gets health.

If he kills charms or companions, he gets full health. But that might be that I didn't damage him.

I just did a solo elite run today and was having the normal issues (all the other mobs were running on the puzzle as well as him dropping down real fast now). I charmed a couple of mobs up top to hold agro for a little time and just as I was just about to hit the last spot, it seems they did enough damage to him to lock a tile (I was literally featherfalling onto the right spot as it happened).

The only thing that really annoyed me was after you fixed that safe spot, you also made him come down a lot faster. It is hard to hit enough puzzle tiles and run back up before he can mess them up and now it is virtually impossible.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Hey folks,

If you had multiple people fighting/nuking him and he resets after he kills just one, that sounds fishy to me, he should instead switch to chasing the second most hated attacker (the person who did most damage, usually). But that's just from the top of my head without looking at the dungeon and digging in the guts of it.

So... does every boss in DDO do that? Why him, specifically?
    Those are not pebbles surrounding the urn filled with Human teeth. They are megaliths!

Hey folks,

Hey Flimsy,

Thanks for posting here much appreciated.

From my experience I can confirm we had at same time multiple dotters / kiters on sanyassi on elite difficulty. The lead aggro / kiter (one with most damage dealt on boss) was the only one who died and Sanyassi consequently still reset with 5 people alive.

As posted he was still within the final chamber either up top or around the puzzle. Hope this helps in replicating the problem and have it addressed.

The Quest on Elite is a blast.... Great challenge overall.... The possible broken boss mechanic if its truly broken then would make a broken puzzle a sweet challenge and not a dire frustration to dot the boss down and pray :-D

Cheers once again Flimsy and keep up the great work.

Have a great week-end.
    Thelanis Server Accolyte 21 PL FVS Completionist Super Soul Accelerated 20 PL Completionist Super Sorc Accessory 3 Ranger 3 Sorc 1 Wiz PL Artificer Accusal 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Accxer Mathbane Barb PL Barbarian Acc 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Ctrl 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Archmage Jati 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Tactics Monk Somnath 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Dark Monk

Hey folks,

Ever since the quest came out its been full regen whenever someone dies to his attacks. This is not a leashing issue as he would happily kill one then kill a second and keep killing. It's why the unsolvable puzzles use to be such a huge problem as Sanyasi was all but unbeatable even on normal without using the exploit chandelier.

Not sure if he also regens if someone /deaths or gets killed by trash though.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Community Member

Default Bad fight

my guildies and i also had a severe problem with that end fight. we did the quest on elite and all of us had no problems with the quest but as we came to the end fight the end boss kept respawning back to the middle when ever he got up the ramps in the area... he kept resetting and triggering the puzzle untill it was unsolvable... we tried killing him down below and he kept resetting as well when about 1-5 % down in health... so we pulled back to the entrance room for the boss fight and put in a ticket... but we had constant scorpion respawn there and had to constantly fight... 50 min we waited for a response and finally had to recall out as the party ran out of resources... 5 min later a gm contacts us and says i can't help you as you finished out of the quest.

Moral of the story.... Monastery of the scorpion needs a rehaul.

Also for refrence. other isues we have seen

Graphical glitch.. often the areas in this quest don't seem to keep up and you get graphic glitches where the entire screen turns green for a moment...

Solving the puzzle in record time and the second chest area not opening... this has happened too mqany times on our runs... is this a issue or just our bad luck lol.

The GM ... it seems that everytime we have problems with that quest and put in a ticket the GM seems to be unfriendly and very uncooperative. we are not sure if its the same on but come on ... throw us a bone we are the ones working our butts off to complete and we do deserve help.

Quote Originally Posted by varusso View Post
    I recall running this over a year ago, and we fought the boss cos no one knew how to solve the puzzle. EVERY time someone died, his HP went back up to full, regardless of how low it was. I recall a dev discussing this quite some time ago, and that this *IS* working as intended, because you have the option to skip that fight and just solve the puzzle to instantly defeat him. Its all tied in with the fact that hitting him has a chance to blow one of the puzzle tiles. The "correct" way to beat the quest is to solve the puzzle without doing any damage to him at all. Otherwise, expect a very difficult, very nasty fight, and you BETTER be able to deal with his massive damage and not die, or the fight simply will not end. These factors are intended to push you to solving the puzzle instead.

In any case, the fact that he regains all HP is nothing new. Its been in the game for at least a year. And he always rebounds after traveling just a short distance away from the puzzle, most likely to make players stay in the puzzle room and deal with the traps. Its also a great way to reset his aggro if the wrong person aggroes him, rather than the designated kiter.
    Not to seem argumentative or anything.....

You said you recall a dev posting about it sometime ago as *IS* working as intended.

2-3 posts above you the *ACTUAL* DEV who developped the end fight commented that according to the information collected it seems *Fishy*

Thread was originally started to get a Dev comment about the mechanic and gather gaming / forum community input to help resolve the problem if any.

Most people take for granted that lot of things are WAI and move along. And never submit bug reports.

I am actually taking time in my TR's to notice various things and help the Dev community address possible bugs and issues. Some will be bugs, other will not, some will be WAI and some not also. Its the time we take and feed the hamster masters that make this game better, what it is today and will be tomorrow

here is Flimsy's reply 2 hours near before your post.

Hey folks,

have a great day
    Thelanis Server Accolyte 21 PL FVS Completionist Super Soul Accelerated 20 PL Completionist Super Sorc Accessory 3 Ranger 3 Sorc 1 Wiz PL Artificer Accusal 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Accxer Mathbane Barb PL Barbarian Acc 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Pale Master Ctrl 3 FVS 3 Wiz PL Archmage Jati 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Tactics Monk Somnath 3 Monk 3 Ftr PL Dark Monk

Hey folks,

just tried last night not elite but the toon was only 15.
    his health reset when I got incapped, not just dead.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by karpedieme View Post
    Not to seem argumentative or anything.....

You said you recall a dev posting about it sometime ago as *IS* working as intended.

2-3 posts above you the *ACTUAL* DEV who developped the end fight commented that according to the information collected it seems *Fishy*

Thread was originally started to get a Dev comment about the mechanic and gather gaming / forum community input to help resolve the problem if any.

Most people take for granted that lot of things are WAI and move along. And never submit bug reports.

I am actually taking time in my TR's to notice various things and help the Dev community address possible bugs and issues. Some will be bugs, other will not, some will be WAI and some not also. Its the time we take and feed the hamster masters that make this game better, what it is today and will be tomorrow

here is Flimsy's reply 2 hours near before your post.

have a great day
    1) Flimsy said himself that he is working on memory and hasnt looked at that code to make sure if its actually correct. The wording of the post smacks of "i may be misremembering this, but here is my off-the-cuff response".

2) Flimsy posted while i was typing my reply. His post just got finished before mine; only reason it precedes mine.

3) I never said the OP was wrong for posting this. I said it has been working this way for at least a year, that it is NOT new (as the OP should know, if they are experienced in the quest, as the post seems to indicate), and there was a dev post about it already that said it was WAI, which there was. Its an old post somewhere in all the clutter of the forums. And no, I am not going to sort through the haystack to try and find that needle. If Flimsy wants to look into this and possibly change the mechanic (whether its WAI or not) *shrug* I certainly wont object But theres already a mechanic in place to avoid the issue -- so long as you dont do something to break that mechanic.

Thumbs up

If nothing else that quest should be looked at due to the extreme graphics glitches it has developed at some point.

Great quest though-awesome XP in a good party and really challenging-the new cannith quests should have taken a page out of the RR playbook instead of being long, slow and poor XP-they could EASILY be doubled and TRs probably still would skip them.

As has been mentioned a few times, that guy has always worked that way. He hits pretty hard and could two shot a squishy pretty quick. People were still fairly new to the puzzle and would whittle down his health a bit to remove buttons. Hell, that's why people started using the perch spots, so they didn't inadvertantly die and send him back to full health.

I know Flimsy said its "fishy" but it was a long time ago for him. The devs were focused on this quest pretty heavily (hell RR in general) for a time, I am reasonably sure this particular mechanic didn't escape their notice, when details like the wall perch and chandelier perch didn't.

If they change it up though, doesn't matter to me...everyone solves it nowadays anyways.
    Last edited by Delt; 05-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.

This quest, as far as I can remember, has always been like this. If someone dies, he's up to full health, so if the healers or the people damaging them are weak, the fight is doomed. Think of it like ToD on steroids.

Then again, I can solo it on elite on a wizard, never mind a sorcerer. It isn't THAT hard.

On the other hand, I never noticed if DDooring reset his health or not. Since he does have health regen, I always assumed he'd have naturally healed up to full unless you DDoored when he was way down in hps. But I never really tried to test it out, interesting info.
    Last edited by Solmage; 05-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

i just thought he had some uber fast self-healing
    Thanks for clarifying that for me

Hey folks,

wait... it wasn't wai??

all this time we've been playing that quest thinking it was intended
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

FlimsyFirewood

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    wait... it wasn't wai??

all this time we've been playing that quest thinking it was intended
    It might've been intended when I first built it. I was more ruthless back then.

It might've been intended when I first built it. I was more ruthless back then.
    so you're going soft on them newbies?
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

I noticed that he was swapping agro when there were mobs between him and his target. Again, this life, elite 2 out of 2 runs. No problems whatsoever on the normal farm runs (when there are no other npcs in the room).

This could just be my brain spotting patterns that arent there due to small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    We like the fact it’s a choice as suppose to, “hell we just kill yonder dragon cause we’re OP”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I say we take off and nerf the whole game from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast