Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by doubledge View Post
    at least the event gives now-defunct mabar loot... grindy painful loot is better than no loot at all.

Hey! That lvl 16 cloak is kinda useful, sorta, maybe, LOL
    Last edited by dredre9987; 02-28-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesrali View Post
    On Gland wasn't seeing it.
    We were farming em and saw it go off via "every chest is a mimic", but unfortunately we don't know when it will go off again!

Can anyone help?
    Do I need to post a toon in a public area so that I see when it goes off? (If it were to not go off in quests...)

Thanks...

- Tes
    Nope. I never saw anything tonight. We were in the bank when it went off and SOMEONE saw it and mentioned it. So Im thinking it only displays in a public area.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Community Member

..whatever
    Last edited by janave; 02-28-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Without the Frenzy time, this event is a waste of time... 6 turn ins so far 4 card VIII. Seriously

2 of the same cards = any other but that that card?
    I threw up an LFM titled "Come Get Some... Motes" L1-28 tonight repeating Stormreaver Fresco. We were done in about an hour an a half, when boredom set in and we went back to running firstlife underleveled elite for no appreciable gain. I got my tome and my robe out of 25 cards tho.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

I ran a TR normally for about an hour and a half. I'm not feeling well so I primarily did some solo SRE through Tangleroot and 3bc. That plus the 5 quests I ran yielded 4 motes.

I took a break and came back later and I was in a full group in Fresco opening 30 chests in 2.25 minutes, recalling and doing it again. We were determined to hit Frenzy. It took us 2.5 hours to finally start a frenzy. I ended up with 431 motes total.

Those got turned into 43 random cards, none of which was a #9.

You took a fairly straight forward, grindy event and:

Made it a lottery on whether the mimic appears.
    That lottery has diminishing returns based on the number of chests you open.
    Those gains have been cut by a factor of 10, since it takes 10 motes to get a card.
    These cards have a random distribution scale, with the higher cards having a lower percentage.
    If you do manage to get a card you want, the loot is BtC. Better hope you don't want Level 24 gear on multiple characters.

Call it 2.5 minutes a run. 24 runs an hour, time 2.5 hours is 60 runs, times 30 chests is 1800 chests... for 431 motes. Less than 24%.
    Excluding the Fenzy that gives us 251 motes in 1630 chests... 15.4% of chests.
    How many chests do you think we open in normal play? How do you think we'd get a meaningful amount of motes without gaming the system like this? And 1/10th of that becomes cards. Which are random... How do you expect people to make level 20 and 24 gear?

nm
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Systern View Post
    ... How do you expect people to make level 20 and 24 gear?
    Because TURBINE!!!!

Nuff said!
    Darkrune TRx2 lvl 20 FvS, Darkdivinity lvl 20 cleric, Darkaxe lvl 20 fighter, Darktune TRx1 lvl 4bard, Darkbow lvl 20 AA Ranger, Darksoldier TRx1 lvl 20 Barb, Darkspells TRx2 lvl 20 Wizard, Darkbattle TRx1 lvl 20 artificer, Darktemper lvl 17 Ranger, Darkfists TRx1 lvl 20 Monk, Darkherald lvl 5 paladin Guild Leader of No Politics Thelanis Server

So in a nutshell what I am getting out of this thread is:

People are ****ed because now they have to grind to get motes and turn those motes into cards which happen to be random. In effect people want everything handed to them in the easiest possible way.

LOL sorry but you don't have to "grind" for them. You can get motes during normal gameplay. You are choosing to "grind" and waste your time and when you end up wasting your time...its all Turbines fault? ROFL sorry I LOVE that philosophy. Its just so much of the modern day "blame someone else because I didn't get what I wanted" idea.

Just because events in the past were easier...in some cases a LOT easier...to get FREE stuff from now everyone thinks it should be easier every year. This stuff is FREE people. You aren't spending any in game money or TP's. It is FREE. If you don't get what you want your not out anything except time..and YOU chose to spend your time "grinding".

I will grind every day for about an hour just like I did last Mabar and that's it. If I get something cool...great. if I don't...who cares.

**** why even have an event lets just have everyone line up and pick what they want from the list and have it hand delivered. No won't work...people will complain it takes to long. ROFL!!

Toons - Ziffin / Hirtz / Mheka / Duskh
    Guild - High Lords of Malkier
    Server - Sarlona

How do you expect people to make level 20 and 24 gear?
    Ummm AH/Questing/Raiding/trade channel/trade forums/etc

Oh wait are you talking the Mimic items? Where in the world did Turbine say every single player would end up with every piece of gear? Its random. Some people will get stuff and other won't.

Toons - Ziffin / Hirtz / Mheka / Duskh
    Guild - High Lords of Malkier
    Server - Sarlona

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    *snip*
    Here's my feedback in a nutshell.

I expect an event to be FUN.
    This event would be more fun with less random.
    I like random mimics, I do not like random cards purchased with motes.
    This would have been a better setup if the rewards cost x# of motes rather than involving cards at all.
    Then there wouldn't be need for a new bag. *gasp* needless complication?!
    Then the rare rewards would have cost more motes and the basic mabar equipment could have been achieved by the characters that need it at the level they need it.

This isn't about getting stuff handed to you, its about fun and the totally insensible way this event was setup... and not incidentally about how the lammania feedback was more or less ignored.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

People are ****ed because now they have to grind to get motes and turn those motes into cards which happen to be random. In effect people want everything handed to them in the easiest possible way.
    I'm not seeing that at all. What I am seeing is people not satisfied or happy about this kind o system for these kinds of rewards.

Turbine has done random reward events just fine in the past:

• Festivult - I don't recall anyone complaining at the randomness of the Cookies rewarded, with a tiny chance of a nifty lowby weapon or maybe even a +3 Tome or Heart of Wood.
    ^Those were random done right^

• Risa games - I don't recall anyone complaining about the randomness of Recipes rewarded.
    ^Random done right^

• Anniversary Card Event - {excluding the dupaplooza aspect} - Even once the combos were posted, it was still random what Cards you got. {Had the dupe not taken place, the event would've been a better success}
    ^Random done right^

• Easter Egg Hunt - I don't recall anyone complaining at the randomness of the rewards turn-in.
    ^Random done right^

Sure, there were probably some complaints that I'm simply not recalling; I'm not naive enough to try and say "Everyone loved everything about the events I listed" or any other such nonsense. What I am saying is that the random rewards schedule for those events was not a major *****ing point like this event's random rewards schedule.

These are simply the wrong kinds of rewards to offer on a random schedule. <- That is what I see as the common theme driving most of the complaints. Had they left in the Tome, the Mimic pets, and perhaps the Augments; but replaced all the BtC gear @ multiple level points with minor but nifty stuff like Rods of Teleport, Bells of Opening, Loot Jewels etc - I suspect the response from Joe Public would've been very different and much more positive - or at least a lot less negative
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 02-28-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

LOL sorry but you don't have to "grind" for them. You can get motes during normal gameplay. You are choosing to "grind" and waste your time and when you end up wasting your time...its all Turbines fault? ROFL sorry I LOVE that philosophy. Its just so much of the modern day "blame someone else because I didn't get what I wanted" idea.

Just because events in the past were easier...in some cases a LOT easier...to get FREE stuff from now everyone thinks it should be easier every year. This stuff is FREE people. You aren't spending any in game money or TP's. It is FREE. If you don't get what you want your not out anything except time..and YOU chose to spend your time "grinding".

I will grind every day for about an hour just like I did last Mabar and that's it. If I get something cool...great. if I don't...who cares.

**** why even have an event lets just have everyone line up and pick what they want from the list and have it hand delivered. No won't work...people will complain it takes to long. ROFL!!
    *** are you talking about? People just want to see a message.

I ran a TR normally for about an hour and a half. I'm not feeling well so I primarily did some solo SRE through Tangleroot and 3bc. That plus the 5 quests I ran yielded 4 motes.

I took a break and came back later and I was in a full group in Fresco opening 30 chests in 2.25 minutes, recalling and doing it again. We were determined to hit Frenzy. It took us 2.5 hours to finally start a frenzy. I ended up with 431 motes total.

Those got turned into 43 random cards, none of which was a #9.

Made it a lottery on whether the mimic appears.
    That lottery has diminishing returns based on the number of chests you open.
    Those gains have been cut by a factor of 10, since it takes 10 motes to get a card.
    These cards have a random distribution scale, with the higher cards having a lower percentage.
    If you do manage to get a card you want, the loot is BtC. Better hope you don't want Level 24 gear on multiple characters.

Call it 2.5 minutes a run. 24 runs an hour, time 2.5 hours is 60 runs, times 30 chests is 1800 chests... for 431 motes. Less than 24%.
    Excluding the Fenzy that gives us 251 motes in 1630 chests... 15.4% of chests.
    How many chests do you think we open in normal play? How do you think we'd get a meaningful amount of motes without gaming the system like this? And 1/10th of that becomes cards. Which are random... How do you expect people to make level 20 and 24 gear?
    They did not take a straight forward Grindy event and turn it into what we have now.

They created a new event & substituted loot from an old event which has nothing to do with the event at all with the caveat of possible new rewards next time.

If the mimic event had its own unique rewards it would have been much more positively received even with the problems it has. Players wouldn't care as much about a new grind to earn new stuff.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Make every drop have the chance to mimic Bust a crate, mimic! Go to grab that collectible, MIMIC! Remnant? Nah, its a mimic!

Community Member moomooprincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yes, it does look like our global messaging for the Mimic Hunt is not functioning correctly. We will continue to look into it.
    Hallelujah!! We are not imagining things.

On February 28, I just so happened to be getting ready to run Irestone Inlet for actual XP and favor when someone typed in general chat, MIMIC FRENZY.

I checked my screen. Nothing was on it that was not something that had been there before.

I checked my chat, did not see anything.

I just entered Irestone and frantically ran to the areas with chests and was able to get five mimics in the fifteen minutes. I also did not die.
    Recipemaker Guild: Top Chef School of Recipes

Event Statistics: Risia, Festivult, Midwinter, Daily Dice, Mimic Hunt

Community Member

Default Kill count

Devs please consider posting a kill count (like a countdown) somewhere so that players know how much is left before the frenzy. Also please lower Wayfinder kill count since the population on that server is significantly lower.

Thanks in advance for the consideration

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Dragonsbane View Post
    Devs please consider posting a kill count (like a countdown) somewhere so that players know how much is left before the frenzy. Also please lower Wayfinder kill count since the population on that server is significantly lower.

My wife and I played for about 6 hours (with some gaps) on Khyber over the weekend and must have missed the frenzy every time.
    He left the name, at which the world grew pale.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Dragonsbane View Post

This!

I've been running Stormreaver's run on saturday and sunday on Thelanis and I've guesstimated a lot of Frenzies, but having a countdown, a counter or any indication of how close you are to one would've been greatly appreciated.

Community Member

How did you know exact start time? The only reason I knew is because I opened 3 chests in a row and all were mimics so I sent a quick tell to guildies and I hit up Irestone.

Personally I hope they do NOT give a global announcement. Let the people actually adventuring be the first to figure it out and get more chests not the people standing around with 5 accounts waiting to see the news.
    there was a yellow text, just like the DM lines that said 'the mimic frenzy is now active' (or alike) but there was no global announcement like the 'guild X reached level 100'

Default No COUNTER or ANNOUNCEMENT SUKS

it is so easy to take 1/2 break from hours of farming for a frenzy and miss it...you can easily go half a day and not see one..unless you play 24/7 c/mon ddo ...announce the frenzy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast