Default What weapons are finessable?

I was wondering if there was a thread that tackled this question wanted to know if a hand axe is finessable and what others weapons can be used by a finesse fighter?

Akron- Mentock- Tierant - Xzun - Mother - Mightor - Beatrick - Punjab - Zurge - Sizter

Weapon Finesse
    You use your Dexterity bonus instead of Strength bonus to determine bonus to attack with certain weapons.
    Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus +1
    You may select from the following list:
    -Unarmed
    -Dagger
    -Handaxe
    -Short Sword
    -Rapier
    -Sickle
    -Kukri
    -Kama
    -Light Mace
    -Light Pick
    -Light Hammer

Talking Thanks for the post response

Did not realize it was on the website under finesse feat.

Akron- Mentock- Tierant - Xzun - Mother - Mightor - Beatrick - Punjab - Zurge - Sizter

Always been curious - does this refer to off-hand only or to both hands...for example can you wield a khopesh in one hand and rapier in offhand and if so what is consequences?

Cheers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by paul1devries View Post
    Always been curious - does this refer to off-hand only or to both hands...for example can you wield a khopesh in one hand and rapier in offhand and if so what is consequences?

Cheers

Since a Rapier is not a light weapon you would suffer an additional -2 to each melee attack over above other penalties. So with all the appropriate feats and such you would be at -4 to all melee attacks. Now just to clarify the original post dealt with weapon finese, now while finese and two weapon fighting often go hand in hand, they are NOT the same. Having weapon finese will not help twf except insofar as using finesable weapons will allow you then to use your dex mod 'to hit' rather than your str.

Hope this helps

Rapier is not a light weapon, but is Finessable.

~
    If we shrank our solar system to the size of a Quarter, and lay it at your feet, the Milky Way galaxy would still be larger than North America. ~NASA Perspective anyone?

Cheers
    I'll go one step further incase you were asking several questions with that one.

As stated above, rapier is finessible, but not a "light-weapon" so therefore does not eliminate the extra -2/-2 penalty if off-hand wielding one.

However, if you do choose a rapier (or any other finessible weapon) to wield along with a standard one-hand weapon you will use your STR or DEX for your attack (whichever is higher) for the finessible weapon only. All one-handed weapons (other than rapier) use STR only for attack rolls. Take note when i say one-hander and light-weapon, as they are different.

You do not need finesse to dual wield, and you do not need two weapon fighting to use finessible weapons. All weapons use STR mod for attack, unless you have Weapon Finesse, then only light-weapons and rapiers use whichever modifier is higher (STR or DEX).

Ok I think I repeated myself several times, but I hope I cleared up any confusion.

-Jude
    "Never pay Leapfrog with a Unicorn."
    -Ankh - 7 Human Wiz
    -Judicator - 9/1/2 Drow Pally/Fighter/Rogue
    -Bruhn - 12 Dwarven Barbarian

Ahh thanks for the complete answers to my really bad question... What I really wanted to know was what you really answered!

I think this is the conclusion:

If you have the finesse fighting feat, you can use dex instead of str for attack bonus while using finesse weapons. Of the finesse weapons, many are light and can be wielded during gtwf in the off-hand with no penalty. The rapier, as a finesse weapon, but not light, can be dex based but if wielded in off-hand incurs a -2 penalty.

So, I could use my vorpal khopesh I pulled in my off-hand during gtwf but would incur -2 for not being light (or if I use in main hand do I still incur penalty because it is not light?) and would be using a str modifier not dex for the to-hit?

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

So, I could use my vorpal khopesh I pulled in my off-hand during gtwf but would incur -2 for not being light (or if I use in main hand do I still incur penalty because it is not light?) and would be using a str modifier not dex for the to-hit?
    The extra -2 penalty is only if you wield it in your off-hand, and yes, you would use str for the to-hit.

FYI: Warforged are able to wield halflings as finesse weapons.
    My Videos Shadow Mage (ok, it's a build now)
    A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
    Britches and Hose kidnapped my dog and are forcing him to farm Shroud ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    So if the halfling's are dualwielding, does that mean that the WarForged is quad-wielding?
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Quote Originally Posted by binnsr View Post
    So if the halfling's are dualwielding, does that mean that the WarForged is quad-wielding?
    Depends if is whole halfing or if it is broken in 2, if is whole halfling then warforged need the 2 hands to use it properly, else if take 2 broken halflings (each on a hand) then yes is Quad-wielding
    ARGOMABAR Server
    Zorlinta Freespirit- Korlana Malataza
    Yeah, finally updated the signature so?

Default Damage bonus

Using finesse skill for dex mod to attack what about damage on said weps does your str mod still apply for that?

Damage is always based on STR mod.

To hit bonus is STR mod, unless you have Weapon Finesse. IF you have Weapon Finesse, for the weapons on the list above you use DEX mod for the To Hit modifier.

Two weapon fighting is another whole skill that has nothing to do with weapon finesse other than that many characters who choose to TWF get that feat for free and tend to have high dex to start with, so to get maximum dps they TWF.

You can pretty easily figure out the penalty by playing around with the weapons and hands you use them in and watching your to hit modifiers on the Inventory Pop up screen. Find the best combos and weapon set them for quick changes.

Be careful since a Longsword Dagger combo is not the same as a Dagger Longsword combo. Weapon sets assign a hand to each weapon based on how you set them up. If the first time you get it wrong, swap the order of setting up the weapon set. It can make a HUGE difference in the to hit modifiers.
    Sarlona - The Ko Brotherhood :Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8+4E; Hennako-Human Cleric22; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15; lots more

Thanks for the info. I knew about TWF and rules to that I was trying to figure out if I wanted to to take finesse feat. I am dual wielding and plan to pick up improved version lvl 9. My rogue started of 16 16 str dex and will use clickes pots whatnot for 20 str. And boost my dex through enhancments and abiltiy increses plus items to max it as high as I can. I use short swords and rapiers as my main ones working on getting good ones. The upside is those two are not high demand prob can find them rather cheap. Plus drow race can add mods to these two weps. As long as my str adds dmg I am happy lol.

OK, I have a question about this. I recently created a halfling rogue/ranger, Started with one level of rogue, and then two of ranger. I wanted him to be a trap/door/sneak and hide char, so I went with 17 dex, 14 wis/int and only 8 str, and took the weapon finesse feat at level 2 ranger.

Basically, the question is, was it a mistake to only take 8 str? I'm dual wielding +1 light maces in damage situations, and use a single mace and shield for soloing.

I saw a gigantic increase in hit rate when I took the weapon finesse feat, but I'm wondering if the lack of strength is not going to cripple the char.

I don't yet have the faction to roll a drow, but am close, and could reroll as drow if this character is going to be ruined.

Your sneak attacks will help compensate for the low strength when attacking.

Though that low strength will till hurt you. Halflings only get 3/4 carrying capactiy to start off with. And you only have 8 Str. Double ouch
    [REDACTED]

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
    Yes by my WF (Aflac the Duck) duel wields Dwarves who are duel wielding Dwarven Axes.

He uses halflings as his missle throwing weapon
    Unguilded on Thelanis Pempernel, Melyanna, Greyiira, Valienor, Pempernal, Pempernil, Pempersensai, Pempnoir, Paw, Zilvira, Celebrimbor
    Proud Member of the Silver Legion - Cannith Aflac, Mabar, Pistachios, Pempernel, Melyanna, Kazoo

The Shining Crescents, from the Titan, is the only two-handed finesse weapon that I am aware of at the moment. Even though it is a two-handed weapon that lets you use 1.5X your STR bonus and allows you to deal out glancing blows, it is classified as a sickle, which makes it finessable.

I was pleasantly surprised on my weapon finesse bard when I got my Shining Crescents and realized that I was using my DEX bonus to determine to-hit with it.