Community Member

Default Eldritch Blast Shape: Beam - needs to be wider.

This beam is far too narrow for a good multi-hitting main attack. It needs to be more like Scorch so that i can actually hit targets in a line. I looked it up and saw that some people suggested that you turn off auto attack so that you can aim better with it to try to hit multiple targets, but unless the targets are actually grouped together in the same exact spot it doesnt really seem to work. the beam is so narrow, that with auto-targeting turned off i can't even hit any of the smaller creatures, such as spiders and rats and such unless i specifically target them. The beam just passes harmlessly over their heads every time otherwise. please increase the width on this eldritch blast shape stance a little so that it's actually able to be a viable long-range multi-target attack, like Scorch. and so that i can hit giant spiders and rats with it while the auto-targeting is disabled. Thank you.

Every single review of it since the first Lamannia preview had the same complaint about the narrow beam. It feels exactly as bad as the devs want, apparently, so it is essentially a DOA addition to the game.

The window on that release has closed, so I wouldn’t expect any more changes to come. Enjoy (or not).
    Ghallanda: Tervail (solo player)

Community Member

Yeah its basically the same issue that ranged has with IPS...shots go right over shorter mobs, unless you're a short race yourself. And I dont think you can even manually aim Beam Shape as effectively as you can with ranged weapons either.

Beam really offers nothing that makes you want to take it over Cone or Chain. Doesnt do more damage, doesnt have better mechanics or geometry. The only time Beam is advantageous is if you have 4+ mobs in a straight line, and how often does that happen

Community Member

1. Increasing the width of the beam won't stop it from going over the heads of tiny critters. You want them to increase the height.
    2. It sounds like you just want Scorch.
    3. The eldritch blast isn't Scorch. There's no reason it should act like it is.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by OfElectricMen View Post
    1. Increasing the width of the beam won't stop it from going over the heads of tiny critters. You want them to increase the height.
    2. It sounds like you just want Scorch.
    3. The eldritch blast isn't Scorch. There's no reason it should act like it is.
    1. sry, I was referring to the width of the radius of the circular beam. i was not suggesting changing the shape into a wide oval.
    2. no, i want a force or evil or piercing blast that costs no mana and acts as my main attack, i just want it's area of attack to be useful.
    3. yes there is, it's because scorch has been around for a long time and people have shown that they like the way the targeting area works on that spell, and that targeting area should be used as a blueprint for the beam form of eldritch blast. if eldritch blast's beam form worked like scorch does, people would be a LOT happier with it and it would def not be OP.

Staggering
    Pale Fox

Does anybody know if the meta-magic Enlarge does anything for the beam at all?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Does anybody know if the meta-magic Enlarge does anything for the beam at all?
    As metas do not work with any other blast shape, I wouldn't expect it to work.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Yeah its basically the same issue that ranged has with IPS...shots go right over shorter mobs, unless you're a short race yourself. And I dont think you can even manually aim Beam Shape as effectively as you can with ranged weapons either.

Beam really offers nothing that makes you want to take it over Cone or Chain. Doesnt do more damage, doesnt have better mechanics or geometry. The only time Beam is advantageous is if you have 4+ mobs in a straight line, and how often does that happen
    Even when I get IPS for free on a ranger, I almost never turn it on. It's not worth losing 20% base damage to perhaps hit more than one mob. Especially since moving around to get mobs in the correct position makes you dump stacks of archer's focus. I sure as hell don't build for it any more.

Back on topic, beams are just terrible to try and hit more than one mob with. Whether it's IPS or a FS using sun beam, it's only an AOE in the loosest sense of the word. On a warlock, I can't imagine a sane human picking that shape over the others that do similar damage and are actually useful.
    Last edited by yfernbottom; 05-01-2023 at 11:17 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post
    Even when I get IPS for free on a ranger, I almost never turn it on. It's not worth losing 20% base damage to perhaps hit more than one mob.
    Thats where the skill element comes in - removes "perhaps" from the equation

The real best answer is to stance dance, though...which is annoying and sucks

Staggering
    Pale Fox

Quote Originally Posted by LurkingVeteran View Post
    As metas do not work with any other blast shape, I wouldn't expect it to work.

Am doing a acolyte of the flesh run to 30 right now.
    The thema and graphics rock, especially the capstone transformation.

The DPS is lacking, and the aiming makes me feel like The Morning After:

And yeah, that reaction on Hanky Panky is just like how the devs are reacting when we're having a discussion on how come we're aiming so bad.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Thats where the skill element comes in - removes "perhaps" from the equation

The real best answer is to stance dance, though...which is annoying and sucks
    That's really the issue. IPS is slow to activate and deactivate. Your options are really to often do ****** damage for no reason (there is no "perhaps" about it if there is only one mob standing), or turn it on and off constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Am doing a acolyte of the flesh run to 30 right now.
    The thema and graphics rock, especially the capstone transformation.

The DPS is lacking, and the aiming makes me feel like The Morning After
    Right, ran it to 32 a few times now, love the esthetic, but the dps is sooo bad.

This last life for the PL I just ran my normal dps lock build without going into the AoS tree. It's just sad
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodynobody1426 View Post
    If you look across all the changes it's basically a giant nerf to all the stuff we used to use while trying to force folks into theme based playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality. (Note: this quote was from 2013, things never change)

Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post
    That's really the issue. IPS is slow to activate and deactivate. Your options are really to often do ****** damage for no reason (there is no "perhaps" about it if there is only one mob standing), or turn it on and off constantly.
    IPS was the wrong nerf anyway it was never the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    IPS was the wrong nerf anyway it was never the problem
    It’s too bad their pride will prevent them from ever rolling the 20% nerf back.
    Ghallanda: Tervail (solo player)

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunan View Post
    This last life for the PL I just ran my normal dps lock build without going into the AoS tree. It's just sad
    ^This is the situation for too many of these Archetypes. What is the point of the tree if its going to be built so lack luster and ineffectual that most players advise against using the tree at all or only for low-hanging fruit (~less than 10pts)? Should the tree be hands-down better than a regular class trees? No, but it shouldn't be so pointless that most ppl playing the archetype refuse to use it either. There is a very fine line between OP and Decent but the line between Decent and Mediocre should be easier to recognize. We are fast approaching where Archetypes are going to need a buff because some of them came out the gate limping.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Staggering
    Pale Fox

I'm noticing that when firing the beam and other party members are directly in front of you.
    Which often is the case btw.
    The beam will simply hit nothing, almost as friendly fire logic is preventing the beam from hitting anything else.