Community Member

Default Inquisitive Imbue

Anyone has a strong opinion? What imbue should an inquisitive use?

I am running an iconic life 15 to 30. Thinking about Inquisitive to mix it up. Following the imbue change, I was wondering. Should I go for the Law Damage imbue, or go with EK 1d8 elemental imbue? Slap a ML16 Corrosion augment into nightshade shooter, maybe combine with stone shoes...

(Tentatively considering Deep Gnome Wizard 3/Artificer 2/Dark Hunter 15, because I have not yet played dark hunter.)

No personal insight to offer re Law vs. EK etc., but, on the possibility that it's helpful, a recent post on Inquisitive imbues in general:

o https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6561666

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Should I go for the Law Damage imbue, or go with EK 1d8 elemental imbue? Slap a ML16 Corrosion augment into nightshade shooter, maybe combine with stone shoes...
    The advantage to Spellpower-based Imbues is you can crank your Spellpower a lot higher than Ranged or Melee Power. Your proposal starts with 167 Corrosion Spellpower from gear, plus Spellcraft, plus anything you grab from Enhancements; so probably ~200 to start.

The disadvantage is having to slot both Ranged and Spellpower, which makes Gear Tetris that much more complicated as you level.
    (Tentatively considering Deep Gnome Wizard 3/Artificer 2/Dark Hunter 15, because I have not yet played dark hunter.)
    Presuming you're going for a DH past life, you'd get +1D imbue damage from wiz 6 / arty 2 / DH 12, but lose a sneak attack die.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Here's one more consideration: If you avoid law damage, you can get +1 imbue dice from T5 Inquisitor's Path.

Anyway, looking at AP spread...
    41 inq
    12 harp
    11 sniper shot
    6 EK

Only 10 left for dark hunter Leaving the tasty extra dice and sneak attack just out of reach.

6/2/12: EK imbue, +2 dice from EK, +1 die from T5inq, extra feat (wiz)
    3/2/15: EK imbue, +1 die from EK, +1 die from T5inq, +1 sneak die, CCW admixture
    1/4/15: Law imbue, +3 dice from DH, +2 sneak dice (DH levels and tier 3), CCW admix, extra feat (art)
    (wiz/art/dhu)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Another option would be wizard 6 / Artificer 6 / Dark Hunter 8. You get INT to damage from Insightful Damage, so you can tweak your AP split to be:
    • 41 Inquisitive (capstone, +7 Imbue dice)
    • 16 Dark Hunter (+3 Imbue, +3d6 SA)
    • 11 DWS (Sniper Shot, +3d6 SA)
    • 6-8 Harper Agent (Know the Angles)
    • 6 Eldritch Knight (Spellsword, +1 Imbue)

Or wiz 7 / DH 7 to grab level 4 spells, since ranger is the dominant class.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

I have to observe that a lot of these builds are going to be back-loaded to one extent or another; that is, while they add up to "maximum imbue" at Level 20, getting to Level 20 may be slower than other builds, as those imbues may only trickle in toward the high-end of each class.

So it all depends on what you are looking for,1) a high-imbue end-Heroic/Epic build, or 2) a stronger/faster leveling build for reincarnation.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    I have to observe that a lot of these builds are going to be back-loaded
    it's an iconic life

Community Member

Depends entirely on your ranged vs spell power. It's just a pure math problem....4.5*(1+ acid power) * (imbue dice + 1) vs 5.5*(1+ ranged power) * imbue dice

At endgame, when RP is at its cheapest, the breakeven is probably going to favor Inquisitive imbue, if your only sources of SP are from 1 or 2 pieces of gear, though. You'll probably be able to achieve similar Ranged Power, so the larger base die of the Law imbue wins out.
    Last edited by droid327; 05-02-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    it's an iconic life
    I wanted to make it clear that these builds were not for Heroic leveling (which Iconics ~mostly~ don't care about). Didn't spell that out, my bad.