Default Lamannia U59 Performance Updates Preview 3

As previously mentioned, we've fundamentally changed how bonuses are calculated behind the scenes to be using a more performant algorithm to reduce lag in the game. This change impacts:

Feat bonuses
    Enhancement bonuses
    Epic destiny bonuses
    Past life bonuses
    Toggled bonuses
    Temporarily granted Feats
    Armor Class bonuses
    Blocking Armor Class bonuses
    Attack bonuses
    Damage bonuses
    Savings throw bonuses

Please keep an eye out for discrepancies in bonuses on your character sheet between the regular Live game worlds and this Lamannia build. Adding and removing Feats, Enhancements, and acquisition of Past Lives are the primary mechanisms that might cause these bonuses to exhibit erroneous behaviors. There are more than 485 bonuses affected and not all of them are on the character sheet and easily displayable.

We have also addressed some that were previously reported to us, so if they are still busted do please let us know again so we can take a closer look.

My effective HP on the plus tab on live vs lam are different but all the other stats I can compare match up. Not sure if the math for effective HP got changed up or if there's something different behind the scenes statwise that I can't check that's off.

Community Member

Default Some weirdness with Max Dex Bonus and Max Dodge

Doing some testing with max dex bonus and max dodge and things don't look right.

The test build and no armor I see
    Max Dex Bonus: NA
    Dodge Chance Max: 33 out of reaper, 35 in reaper
    Did this to make sure I had enough dodge for the test
    The 2 difference is due to Reaper Heightened Evasion tier 4 and tier 5

Only changed armor on the two test build below.

The first test build has a calculated value for max dex bonus of 35, With this gear set I see the following:
    Max Dex Bonus: 33 out of reaper, 33 in reaper
    Dodge Chance Max: 30 out of reaper, 32 in reaper

For the 2nd test build I changed the armor out for one that had a max dex bonus 2 higher to bring the calculated max dex bonus of 37, With this gear set I see the following:
    Max Dex Bonus: 35 out of reaper, 35 in reaper
    Dodge Chance Max: 30 out of reaper, 32 in reaper

To figure out the Max Dex problem, I started removing items and resetting enchantments and feats to see if it was a stacking problem and could not come up with any obvious problem.

I am even more stumped by the dodge Chance Max. My understanding is that Dodge Chance Max = the lesser of Max Dodge or Max Dex Bonus. Since I have a max dodge of 35 with no armor, Dodge Chance Max should equal Max Dex as long as Max Dex is 35 or less.

Community Member

Default Fencing Master is not applying it's Maximum Dexterity Bonus to Armor.

Following up on my pervious post:

After doing a lot of item/gear/enhancement swaping -it looks like the guild bonus Fencing Master is not applying it's Maximum Dexterity Bonus to Armor. While it took me awhile to get to this, it can be easily seen by resetting all enhancements and destinies, clearing all feats that give max dex bonus, and removing all gear so there is no bonus to max dex other than the guild bonus. Then put on a piece of armor and you will see that Max Dex Bonus = Armor Max Dex Bonus so Fencing Master is not applying.

I have still not been able to find any reason for the Max Dodge Bonus being less than the Max Dex Bonus when Max Dodge is greater or equal to Max Dex.

Community Member

Default Looks like Max Dodge is somehow capped at 30 when wearing armor regardless of Max Dex

This is a summary of what I observed trying to figure this out:

For the Max Dodge Bonus being less than the Max Dex Bonus it does not seem to matter what order I add things in that increase the Max Dex Bonus. This is what I am seeing

Max Dodge with no armor = 35 (to show Max Dodge is not limit)
    For Max Dex <= 30, Max Dex = Max Dodge
    For Max Dex > 30, Max Dodge = 30 out of reaper and 32 in reaper

So it looks like Max Dodge is somehow capped at 30 when wearing armor regardless of Max Dex and that the Reaper bonus to Dodge applies above the artificial cap.

Thanks Wongar for going through everything.

I'm certain we're at just the tip of the iceberg in terms of these types of bugs and there's a lot lot more below the waterline but thankfully we got peeps like you.

I would do it, but I'm terribad at math and looking at my endgame character's sheet makes my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongar View Post
    This is a summary of what I observed trying to figure this out:

For the Max Dodge Bonus being less than the Max Dex Bonus it does not seem to matter what order I add things in that increase the Max Dex Bonus. This is what I am seeing

Max Dodge with no armor = 35 (to show Max Dodge is not limit)
    For Max Dex <= 30, Max Dex = Max Dodge
    For Max Dex > 30, Max Dodge = 30 out of reaper and 32 in reaper

So it looks like Max Dodge is somehow capped at 30 when wearing armor regardless of Max Dex and that the Reaper bonus to Dodge applies above the artificial cap.
    Go here to see how Dodge Bonuses work.

According to the Wiki, the max Dodge bonus should be set to 25% unless you have some way to raise the cap beyond 25%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Go here to see how Dodge Bonuses work.

According to the Wiki, the max Dodge bonus should be set to 25% unless you have some way to raise the cap beyond 25%.
    I have read the wiki page on dodge. If you look at the portion of my post you quoted, the build has a 35% Max dodge with no Armor on. This should show the problem is with the max dex bonus and how it is applied to Max Dodge when wearing armor and not due to the overall dodge cap on the build.

I could easily be missing something, but I don't see anything on the wiki that would explain why Max Dodge is less Max Dex Bonus when the build has more dodge than Max Dex.

Given that dodge is arguably the best defense in the game, I see this discrepancy as something that needs to be addressed. I'd like to know that for some reason it is WAI or see it acknowledged as a bug that needs to get fixed.

For the record, I tested a lot of item, feat, enhancement stacking besides dodge as requested and the Max Dex, Max Dodge issues are the only ones I found. Overall, I am very encouraged by the performance updates and think the devs have done a good job with it.

I have read the wiki page on dodge. If you look at the portion of my post you quoted, the build has a 35% Max dodge with no Armor on. This should show the problem is with the max dex bonus and how it is applied to Max Dodge when wearing armor and not due to the overall dodge cap on the build.

I could easily be missing something, but I don't see anything on the wiki that would explain why Max Dodge is less Max Dex Bonus when the build has more dodge than Max Dex.

Given that dodge is arguably the best defense in the game, I see this discrepancy as something that needs to be addressed. I'd like to know that for some reason it is WAI or see it acknowledged as a bug that needs to get fixed.

For the record, I tested a lot of item, feat, enhancement stacking besides dodge as requested and the Max Dex, Max Dodge issues are the only ones I found. Overall, I am very encouraged by the performance updates and think the devs have done a good job with it.
    For clarity, this is how Dodge is supposed to work while wearing Armor:
    • Your Maximum Dodge in armor is 25% at the start.
    • This can be increased by bonuses to the Max Dodge stat (so +1 would make your Maximum Dodge 26%).
    • Your Armor and Shields have a Max Dex Bonus on the item. This is set per-item, but can be increased by effects, enhancements, etc.
    • The most Dodge you can have is capped by the lower of your Maximum Dodge and Max Dex Bonus.
    • If you have less Dodge than the cap in the above stat, you have that much Dodge. If you have more Dodge than that, it caps at the above cap.

For example if you have:
    • 40% Dodge
    • +10% Max Dodge (adding to the base 25%, giving you effectively 35%)
    • A Medium armor equipped with a Max Dex Bonus of +2
    • An enhancement that adds +2 to the Max Dex Bonus of Medium Armor

The amount of Dodge you would end up with is 4%, as the Max Dex Bonus is the lower of the two. To increase the amount of Dodge you can effectively have in Armor, you need both a high Max Dodge AND a high Max Dex Bonus.

Does that match what you're seeing on Lamannia?
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

Are you a monk in Ocean Stance? Wearing an armor will uncenter you and you would lose the dodge cap bonus from the stance. That could explain it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post
    • This can be increased by bonuses to the Max Dodge stat (so +1 would make your Maximum Dodge 26%).
    • Your Armor and Shields have a Max Dex Bonus on the item. This is set per-item, but can be increased by effects, enhancements, etc.
    • The most Dodge you can have is capped by the lower of your Maximum Dodge and Max Dex Bonus.
    • If you have less Dodge than the cap in the above stat, you have that much Dodge. If you have more Dodge than that, it caps at the above cap.

For example if you have:
    • 40% Dodge

The amount of Dodge you would end up with is 4%, as the Max Dex Bonus is the lower of the two. To increase the amount of Dodge you can effectively have in Armor, you need both a high Max Dodge AND a high Max Dex Bonus.

Thank you for responding and the explanation. I do not think this is what I am seeing on Lam.

I think some of the confusion is with Max Dodge as a term applying to both the maximum amount of dodge a build can have as well as the maximum amount of dodge allowed by armor. I will try and be careful to use "Build Dodge" when referring to maximum amount of dodge a build can have and to use "Armor Dodge" to refer to maximum amount of dodge allowed by armor

I was trying to test all the sources of increasing Max Dex with the test build. It included feats (Mobility,) Enhancements(multiple trees,) Destiny (Armor of Dusk,) Past Life (Student of the Sword,) gear (Boots of blessed travels, Agility Aug,) and guild buff (Fencing Master).

Using an armor with a max dex bonus (MDB) of 8, I had a calculated Max Dex Bonus of 35. Fencing Master is not working so the in game display showed 33

I also increased "Build Dodge" from multiple sources so that when wearing no armor I had a in game display of "Build Dodge" at 35.

Test case was that if I have a Max Dex Bonus of 35 and a "Build Dodge" of 35 with no armor, I should have an "Armor Dodge" of 35 with armor. I believe this is how it works with what you outlined.

The test as I did it:

Create the build with no sources of Max Dex Bonus and with the "Build Dodge" Bonuses.

Verify that with no armor, "Build Dodge" is 35 - passed

Equip Armor with MDB of 8 verify ingame display Max Dex Bonus is 8 and "Armor Dodge" is 8 - passed

Continue to enable Max Dex items one at a time and verify that Max Dex Bonus = "Armor Dodge" - passed until "Armor Dodge" hit 30 (32 in reaper)

Once "Armor Dodge" hit 30, Max Dex continued to increase with additional items as expected but "Armor Dodge" stayed at 30 (32 in reaper)

Using armor MDB 8 and an in game Max Dex Bonus of 31, I swapped to MDB 10 armor. In game Max Dex went up by 2 as expected, "Armor Dodge" stayed at 30 (32 in reaper)

I then removed all armor and checked the in game display of "Build Dodge" to make sure "Armor Dodge" was not capped at 30 by "Build Dodge." "Build Dodge" went up to 35 as expected with no armor.

I performed the test multiple times - adding the items to increase Max Dex in different orders to see if it was a stacking issue or tied to a specific item. I also restarted the client multiple times during the testing and did an LR. Nothing changed the results so it it seems something else if artificially capping "Armor Dodge" at 30 (32 with reaper enhancements)

Hope this clarifies how I tested and the results. Happy to provide any further details if helpful.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kortar View Post
    Are you a monk in Ocean Stance? Wearing an armor will uncenter you and you would lose the dodge cap bonus from the stance. That could explain it.
    No monk levels, no monk stances

Thank you for responding and the explanation. I do not think this is what I am seeing on Lam.

I think some of the confusion is with Max Dodge as a term applying to both the maximum amount of dodge a build can have as well as the maximum amount of dodge allowed by armor. I will try and be careful to use "Build Dodge" when referring to maximum amount of dodge a build can have and to use "Armor Dodge" to refer to maximum amount of dodge allowed by armor

I was trying to test all the sources of increasing Max Dex with the test build. It included feats (Mobility,) Enhancements(multiple trees,) Destiny (Armor of Dusk,) Past Life (Student of the Sword,) gear (Boots of blessed travels, Agility Aug,) and guild buff (Fencing Master).

Using an armor with a max dex bonus (MDB) of 8, I had a calculated Max Dex Bonus of 35. Fencing Master is not working so the in game display showed 33

I also increased "Build Dodge" from multiple sources so that when wearing no armor I had a in game display of "Build Dodge" at 35.

Test case was that if I have a Max Dex Bonus of 35 and a "Build Dodge" of 35 with no armor, I should have an "Armor Dodge" of 35 with armor. I believe this is how it works with what you outlined.

The test as I did it:

Create the build with no sources of Max Dex Bonus and with the "Build Dodge" Bonuses.

Verify that with no armor, "Build Dodge" is 35 - passed

Equip Armor with MDB of 8 verify ingame display Max Dex Bonus is 8 and "Armor Dodge" is 8 - passed

Continue to enable Max Dex items one at a time and verify that Max Dex Bonus = "Armor Dodge" - passed until "Armor Dodge" hit 30 (32 in reaper)

Once "Armor Dodge" hit 30, Max Dex continued to increase with additional items as expected but "Armor Dodge" stayed at 30 (32 in reaper)

Using armor MDB 8 and an in game Max Dex Bonus of 31, I swapped to MDB 10 armor. In game Max Dex went up by 2 as expected, "Armor Dodge" stayed at 30 (32 in reaper)

I then removed all armor and checked the in game display of "Build Dodge" to make sure "Armor Dodge" was not capped at 30 by "Build Dodge." "Build Dodge" went up to 35 as expected with no armor.

I performed the test multiple times - adding the items to increase Max Dex in different orders to see if it was a stacking issue or tied to a specific item. I also restarted the client multiple times during the testing and did an LR. Nothing changed the results so it it seems something else if artificially capping "Armor Dodge" at 30 (32 with reaper enhancements)

Hope this clarifies how I tested and the results. Happy to provide any further details if helpful.
    Hey! In your post, I strongly suggest you swap "Build Dodge" to "Dodge Cap" and "Armor Dodge" to "Maximum Possible Dodge after MDB" for clarity.

"Maximum Possible Dodge after MDB" should not be capped at 30 as far as I'm aware, it should simply be the lowest of MDB & "Dodge Cap", as you're aware.
    Based on what you're describing, it sounds as if something is capping "Maximum Possible Dodge after MDB" at 30, even if both MDB and "Dodge Cap" are above 30.
    This sounds like a bug, assuming you didn't lose any sources that increase your "Dodge Cap" when you equipped your armor (maybe you had something that increaes "Dodge Cap" only while you're in cloth armor/centered?).

In regards to Fencing Master, I've often found myself thinking it is bugged, only to then try again sometime later with a clear head and find it to be functioning correctly. Not saying it's definitely not bugged right now as you're suggesting, but further tests (focusing *only* on Fencing Master) wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for your efforts.
    Last edited by Firebreed; 04-23-2023 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelstar View Post

For example if you have:
    • 40% Dodge

What about "Temporary dodge bonuses" like Uncanny Dodge? Do they just add on top of your previously calculated dodge above ingoring any other limit aside from the hard cap of 95%?

For example if you have:
    • 40% Dodge
    • Uncanny dodge 25%

You would have a dodge of 29% while Uncanny lasted?
    $GME YOLO

Not sure why this is being made so difficult.

Port over your toon to Lam; compare Lam character's numbers to Live server numbers.. profit?

Or am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by apocaladle View Post
    What about "Temporary dodge bonuses" like Uncanny Dodge? Do they just add on top of your previously calculated dodge above ingoring any other limit aside from the hard cap of 95%?

For example if you have:
    • 40% Dodge
    • Uncanny dodge 25%

You would have a dodge of 29% while Uncanny lasted?
    Yes! I left that version out for the sake of clarity above, but certain Dodge bonuses (almost always listed as "Dodge that ignores Dodge Cap") can ignore the cap. These are usually short-burst abilities like Uncanny Dodge. I do see that the Uncanny Dodge feat does not mention that it ignores Dodge Cap, we should fix that.
    We don't only build for the builds that exist.
    We don't only build for the builds that are good right now.

The fact that some changes are necessary is not diminished by the fact that other necessary changes have not happened yet.

Community Member

I posted this as a topic but thought it could be menu"ed" on here for how it's affecting Caster Performance in this update and in general moving forward:

~~~

Taken from this link: https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...r-Reapers(R10)
    Read here to take notice but can be commented on to streamline the effectiveness to responding to Devs.

Is there a definitive breakdown in numbers as comparable as to what is the Damage in general for Melee/Caster/Range in Upper Reapers?

Since there are complaints to nerfs and overall nerfs to other classes affected by targeted nerfs to proxy Class.

Obviously Casters are getting blanketed Nerfs(in upper Reaper), even though certain class Casters are not doing the same damage as other Casters, yet they are targeted with that Hate crime of AOE Nukers. ( I feel for you)

Melees are still being the piñatas of the realms in getting hit by the mobs attacks.(Especially as a squishy clothe Rogue, penalty to switch to different light armor is prohibitive)

Range is hard to consistently 100% target moving mobs, especially within melee range, though at a safer distance than melee, is, at times you getting hit by mob unless your fast enough and constantly keeping your distance(similar to caster in a way but no AOE bombs).

It seems Helpless damage is a Culprit as well:

What are:

Casters getting up to in Helpless Damage percentage?
    Melees getting up to in Helpless Damage percentage?
    Range getting up to in Helpless Damage percentage?

Damage output:

Vulnerability to Element damage and Spell Power?
    Does it compare to Vulnerability and Melee Power/Range?
    Does it take into accountability for the danger/risk/reward positioning outcome?

Imbue Dice:

It seems to favor caster/hybrid builds?(Use to be a Warlock/Eldritch Knight boost "Prestige"?)
    As a Rogue having 3 Imbue dice in Tree with no vulnerability poison bypass seems to have been wasted on having it there, with nothing to boost it. How weak is this....(sigh)Poison Strikes On Crit only and seems uselessFort DC 10 + half Rogue level + INT modifier negates) I'd prefer Sap feat instead.

I think if discussions can be based on true numbers as to the concerns as to how this game is headed, will help developers see the full spectrum to a certain degree of what the complains/concerns are.

I know some have put out there some examples but they seem to be scattered and loss in between the message board subsections and never fully seen by a larger audience to make more accurate forward progression to adjusting the game moving forward.

It's great that a lot of emphasis has been put on streamlining how the game calculates all the multiple ways of having to deal with effects/affects to the game instances and that should be commended for sure and a thank you as always.

For instance the removal of Double Strike/Shot hurt many builds and didn't necessarily alleviate lag to the effect that keeping it in and out made a huge difference. It could of been handled with more time, in consideration to the builds that used it. (I use to have a chance to attack 3 mobs and now it's hard coded to one or two at most)
    All casters are getting reduction in damage in upper Reapers, when not all type of caster classes are doing the same amount of damage.
    I don't play caster but can feel for those that are getting dumped on(believe me my Assassin Rogue class has been getting dumped on ever since Artificer came out with better and stolen ways of a Mechanic, then Alchemists better ways at throwing Vials as damage than Rogues who had that ability, and now Dark Hunter has "Throwing Traps CC" and the Prestige Assassinate ability, with Assassinate DC's put in their Tree(even Falconer gets it as well, but not Assassin Tree?)

Going back to the numbers again, if this can get consolidated as to what exactly are the players referring to when it comes to "balancing the game" more so in upper Reapers, it might point to the direction and map as to what the Developers can do to not THOR Hammer every Class when it might be just a certain class is "Overperforming" with "Overperforming add-ons" in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by VinoeWhines View Post
    I posted this as a topic but thought it could be menu"ed" on here for how it's affecting Caster Performance in this update and in general moving forward:

~~~

Taken from this link: https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...r-Reapers(R10)
    Read here to take notice but can be commented on to streamline the effectiveness to responding to Devs.

Is there a definitive breakdown in numbers as comparable as to what is the Damage in general for Melee/Caster/Range in Upper Reapers?

Since there are complaints to nerfs and overall nerfs to other classes affected by targeted nerfs to proxy Class.

Obviously Casters are getting blanketed Nerfs(in upper Reaper), even though certain class Casters are not doing the same damage as other Casters, yet they are targeted with that Hate crime of AOE Nukers. ( I feel for you)

Melees are still being the piñatas of the realms in getting hit by the mobs attacks.(Especially as a squishy clothe Rogue, penalty to switch to different light armor is prohibitive)

Range is hard to consistently 100% target moving mobs, especially within melee range, though at a safer distance than melee, is, at times you getting hit by mob unless your fast enough and constantly keeping your distance(similar to caster in a way but no AOE bombs).

It seems Helpless damage is a Culprit as well:

What are:

Casters getting up to in Helpless Damage percentage?
    Melees getting up to in Helpless Damage percentage?
    Range getting up to in Helpless Damage percentage?

Damage output:

Vulnerability to Element damage and Spell Power?
    Does it compare to Vulnerability and Melee Power/Range?
    Does it take into accountability for the danger/risk/reward positioning outcome?

Imbue Dice:

It seems to favor caster/hybrid builds?(Use to be a Warlock/Eldritch Knight boost "Prestige"?)
    As a Rogue having 3 Imbue dice in Tree with no vulnerability poison bypass seems to have been wasted on having it there, with nothing to boost it. How weak is this....(sigh)Poison Strikes On Crit only and seems uselessFort DC 10 + half Rogue level + INT modifier negates) I'd prefer Sap feat instead.

I think if discussions can be based on true numbers as to the concerns as to how this game is headed, will help developers see the full spectrum to a certain degree of what the complains/concerns are.

I know some have put out there some examples but they seem to be scattered and loss in between the message board subsections and never fully seen by a larger audience to make more accurate forward progression to adjusting the game moving forward.

It's great that a lot of emphasis has been put on streamlining how the game calculates all the multiple ways of having to deal with effects/affects to the game instances and that should be commended for sure and a thank you as always.

For instance the removal of Double Strike/Shot hurt many builds and didn't necessarily alleviate lag to the effect that keeping it in and out made a huge difference. It could of been handled with more time, in consideration to the builds that used it. (I use to have a chance to attack 3 mobs and now it's hard coded to one or two at most)
    All casters are getting reduction in damage in upper Reapers, when not all type of caster classes are doing the same amount of damage.
    I don't play caster but can feel for those that are getting dumped on(believe me my Assassin Rogue class has been getting dumped on ever since Artificer came out with better and stolen ways of a Mechanic, then Alchemists better ways at throwing Vials as damage than Rogues who had that ability, and now Dark Hunter has "Throwing Traps CC" and the Prestige Assassinate ability, with Assassinate DC's put in their Tree(even Falconer gets it as well, but not Assassin Tree?)

Going back to the numbers again, if this can get consolidated as to what exactly are the players referring to when it comes to "balancing the game" more so in upper Reapers, it might point to the direction and map as to what the Developers can do to not THOR Hammer every Class when it might be just a certain class is "Overperforming" with "Overperforming add-ons" in disguise.
    The three "trouble-making" casters that are making a ruckus and ruining it for the other casters have been nerfed very little by the blanket upper-tier reaper nerf. Of course the "normal damage" casters are taking the brunt of the hit.

They need more targetted nerfs rather than nerfing an entire genre of play. Scalpel not a chainsaw please and thank you.