Default 17 years and still going strong

These days it is 17 years since I started playing DDO on the Codemasters server Aureon.

I have had a couple of year long breaks, but came back both times. I have tried other games, games that may have better graphics, but not the endless psossibilties to build your character the way you want. So I lost interest, as I felt I just levelled up someone elses character, not my own. There is simply nothing like DDO out there.

I still play with people I met back on Aureon 17 years ago.

I love DDO, I hope I can play another 17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wahnsinnig View Post
    These days it is 17 years since I started playing DDO on the Codemasters server Aureon.

I have had a couple of year long breaks, but came back both times. I have tried other games, games that may have better graphics, but not the endless psossibilties to build your character the way you want. So I lost interest, as I felt I just levelled up someone elses character, not my own. There is simply nothing like DDO out there.

Congratulations!

I have tried other games, games that may have better graphics, but not the endless psossibilties to build your character the way you want.

I too have looked for games mechanically similar to DDO and had as much luck. Those endless possibilities are DDO's greatest barrier to entry for new players. The type of person willing to put in the time and who favors the subject material has already self-sorted into small minority of gamers at best. The limited potential market simply precludes any production resources. Until the tools and infrastructure exist which will enable a small, independent team of devs to produce and profit from a comparable platform, which is a few years away at most, we will have to enjoy what we have.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Love it Wahnsinnig, same here.

You were on a codemaster server? I saw they distributed some "unofficial drops" like a crazy +14 seeker quiver image I saw so many years ago. Have or seen anything like that?
    The Nak Abides - Argo - Ascent
    Ganak Goblinjuicer ~ Xanak the Irregular

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ganak View Post
    Love it Wahnsinnig, same here.

You were on a codemaster server? I saw they distributed some "unofficial drops" like a crazy +14 seeker quiver image I saw so many years ago. Have or seen anything like that?
    it was a one off, & 10 seeker . It still exists & is worn by Chunki Norris on Orien.

DDO's uniqueness is main reason I got back to it.

Played a number of MMORPG's and all of them were variations of same formula with some randomness thrown in.

Sad part is that I often get the feeling SSG/Daybreak have no idea what they want to do with DDO.

They have a golden goose in their hands and are failing to cash it in.

Started on Lyrandar all those years back with the wife. Honestly as something to tide us over while waiting for LOTRO to release.

My first MMO. Still my only one really.

As for LOTRO? Tried it, hated it. The mechanics of DDO just blew it away.
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

I started on the Keeper EU server also about 17 years ago. Back then the level cap was 14, GH was the endgame. Tor was like a raid, and it took R10-like coordination to kill those dragons. A dwarf fighter with +5 Mithral Fullplate, +5 Mithral Tower Shield and a mid 20s Dex was near untouchable. Then the cap was raised to 16, Devils came to the market and the endless Shroud farming began.

Good times. Good times.

Similar appreciation for the endless build possibilities, theres nothing else out there like it. But for me, without reincarnation, this game would be dead (pun not intended... or was it... )

Quote Originally Posted by Eme View Post
    it was a one off, & 10 seeker . It still exists & is worn by Chunki Norris on Orien.
    This is really cool. I never knew that. If I run into them I'll have to ask to see it! Wish there were more of this one-off items out there ..perhaps there are :0

Same here. I was here for startup 17 years ago on argo left couple times but always come back. I love making odd characters not much of an endgame player get them to 20-25 and make new ones, still have my first 3 characters Akla, Healalot, and Wilky
    akla thornfist lev 17fighter- healalot thornfist lev 19cleric- aklasek thornfist 13fighter 4 paly- healthis thornfist lev 17 32pt cleric- seakla lev 8 rogue, proud member of unbreakable

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by akla_thornfist View Post
    Same here. I was here for startup 17 years ago on argo left couple times but always come back. I love making odd characters not much of an endgame player get them to 20-25 and make new ones, still have my first 3 characters Akla, Healalot, and Wilky
    Well we will be waiting for you when you log in bro. Bala of Unbreakable.

Staggering
    Pale Fox

Enough of this already, if we don't start posting Doom Threads again the end might be closer than we think.

Community Member

I started back in 2010. . .still on Cannith. . .love the game, hope they add more ravenloft areas, like lamordia and such.
    Not sure about the isle of dread though. . .it's just not impressing me any, not after the under dark, faerun bits, and ravenloft.

I do hope they keep upgrading things, maybe redo storm reach with new graphics. . .that would be pretty amazing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by calouscaine View Post
    maybe redo storm reach with new graphics. . .that would be pretty amazing.
    it's about time there was an NPC fixing that loose plank on the bridge in the harbour...

I read the title of this post and thought it was about the sticky ladder bug.

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverash View Post
    I read the title of this post and thought it was about the sticky ladder bug.
    At this point it needs to remain broken. Its as much a part of this game as kobalds are.
    Chances are I posted this reply to your thread and won't be checking back. If you have a comment that you think I must see then a PM would be in order.

16 years here. Never left for another game. Never took any significant time off. VIPd every year.
    Sometimes I pull one out just to watch it die over and over. That's how much I hate hires.

Community Member

If only your enthusiasm and interest was shared by game devs and (non-existant) Executive Producer.