Default DDO Players News Episode 326 - A Wonka Bar In The Plainscape

It's been awhile! So we have a SUPERSIZED size for you! Patrick and Evilbeeker join us this week we cover Update 59 and beyond on Lamannia, The D&D 5e road map, One Magic card to rule them all, and we review the D&D Honor Among Thieves movie. Plus much more!

Listen/Watch/Download/Stream @ DDO Players

Timestamps for video version (Audio should be fairly close to these)

0:00 Start
    02:25 Game News
    08:25 Update 59 And Beyond Lamannia Talk
    33:29 D&D 5E Roadmap For 2023
    44:55 The Lord of the Rings Role-playing 5E
    49:19 The One Ring Magic Card
    58:27 History Of Dungeons & Dragons Movies
    1:04:04 Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves Review/Talk
    1:23:43 Minecraft Dungeons & Dragons
    1:30:56 Week In Gaming
    1:53:58 Support Us On Patron!
    "Denn Die Toten Reiten Schnell"
    "For The Dead Travel Fast"

Oh, come on!

The "Underdark Cat" is analogous to Drizzt Do'Urden's huge black panther figurine of wondrous power Guenhwyvar.

The Underdark thing is because Drizzt is a Drow (who are from the Underdark in the Forgotten Realms).

The armored part doesn't connect to Guenhwyvar directly but think back to Battle Cat (not Cringer) from the old He-Man cartoon.
    Last edited by Arkat; 04-14-2023 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Oh, come on!

The "Underdark Cat" is analogous to Drizzt Do'Urden's huge black panther figurine of wondrous power Guenhwyvar.

The Underdark thing is because Drizzt is a Drow (who are from the Underdark in the Forgotten Realms).

The armored part doesn't connect to Guenhwyvar directly but think back to Battle Cat (not Cringer) from the old He-Man cartoon.
    Well duh! why did I not think of that, during the conversation!
    "Denn Die Toten Reiten Schnell"
    "For The Dead Travel Fast"

Quote Originally Posted by Draculetta View Post
    Well duh! why did I not think of that, during the conversation!
    If only I could have reached a) through the monitor, and b) back in time, I would have shaken one of you!

Evilbeeker should have known better too!!
    Last edited by Arkat; 04-17-2023 at 12:16 PM.
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    If only I could have reached a) through the monitor, and b) back in time, I would have shaken one of you!
    Evil Beaker should have known better too!!
    First ... that's Evilbeeker, sir.

Second, Guenhwyvar is technically a magic item, though there is an argument out there if it is a real cat or not. Most argue it's like summoning a genie from a bottle. Bob's books refer to it as a "black panther that lives on the Astral Plane summoned to the Prime Material as a figurine of wonderous power", hence Guenhwyvar is not native to the Underdark. Also, Guenhwyvar never had "armor"; so technically, not Guenhwyvar.

Lastly, and just a wild guess, but I'm thinking SSG doesn't have permission to call anything "Drizzt" or "Guenhwyvar"; hence, "Underdark cat". Salvatore's books are very "hands off" by copyright, so I'm sure that's a topic to be avoided by SSG.

I would have liked a spider. Plus, we already have panthers, so reskinning the old one to just have armor seems like an easy out.

Thanks for listening!!!

EB
    Last edited by KMelka; 04-17-2023 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMelka View Post
    First ... that's Evilbeeker, sir.

Second, Guenhwyvar is technically a magic item, though there is an argument out there if it is a real cat or not. Most argue it's like summoning a genie from a bottle. Bob's books refer to it as a "black panther that lives on the Astral Plane summoned to the Prime Material as a figurine of wonderous power", hence Guenhwyvar is not native to the Underdark. Also, Guenhwyvar never had "armor"; so technically, not Guenhwyvar.

Lastly, and just a wild guess, but I'm thinking SSG doesn't have permission to call anything "Drizzt" or "Guenhwyvar"; hence, "Underdark cat". Salvatore's books are very "hands off" by copyright, so I'm sure that's a topic to be avoided by SSG.

I would have liked a spider. Plus, we already have panthers, so reskinning the old one to just have armor seems like an easy out.

Thanks for listening!!!

EB
    EB,

Please re-read my post.

I said it was "analogous" to Guen. I also said the armor was supposed to make you think of He-Man's Battle Cat.

Jeez.

BTW, fixed the Evilbeeker spelling.

Still aren't any native "cats" in the Underdark, buddy! Spiders ... lots of spiders ... :P

Now ... if DDO is in a different multiverse than the original Forgotten Realms, then you might have an argument! Then it would be called the Space-Time Multiversal Underdark Battle-Cat.

I also imagine then this DDO multiverse would also have an Orko, Skeletor, Clawful, Mer-Man, Moss-Man, She-Ra, Plasmar, Sy-Klone, King Hsss, and He-Ro the Cosmic Warrior hirelings?

Enjoy!
    EB
    Last edited by KMelka; 04-17-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMelka View Post
    Still aren't any native "cats" in the Underdark, buddy! Spiders ... lots of spiders ... :P

Now ... if DDO is in a different multiverse than the original Forgotten Realms, then you might have an argument! Then it would be called the Space-Time Multiversal Underdark Battle-Cat.

I also imagine then this DDO multiverse would also have an Orko, Skeletor, Clawful, Mer-Man, Moss-Man, She-Ra, Plasmar, Sy-Klone, King Hsss, and He-Ro the Cosmic Warrior hirelings?

Enjoy!
    EB
    Again, never said "cats" were native to the Underdark.

You're reading WAY too much into my comment.

Please re-read both of my previous comments. Take them at face value and stop jumping to conclusions.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Another good episode, thanks for the content.