Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gem of Many Facets

I wasted 6500 threads trying to get a legendary gem of many facets combo right for my build and was unsuccessful. I was wondering why there is such a steep price to pay for this considering the amount of raiding it took to build them up. Have they considered doing the same idea they do with the epic gem in the stone of change? And for the love of all that is pure in the world, DO NOT tell me there is, as my only option seemed to be to spend 100 threads for a reroll LOL

Frustrated AF

Leadbelly
    Abandon all hope, ye who enter here..........

The perfect GoMF is a trap as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone ever gotten the exact gem they wanted after spending X number of threads? Yes.

The question is how many threads did they spend to get it?

Some got it only after spending a few hundred, some had to spend 5,000 or more. Some have never gotten it.

Personally, I don't think it's worth wasting your threads.
    Last edited by Arkat; 04-12-2023 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    The perfect GoMF is a trap as far as I'm concerned.

*snip*

Personally, I don't think it's worth it.
    It's very much this. Once RNG becomes a factor, statistics no longer matter and you are basically gambling on chance every time at that point (and you can lose all the time as well, especially if there are many outcomes that you do not want either). If you have spare, then by all means. But if you don't, it's definitely not a good idea to do so other than if you have some spare and OK to try once or twice just to try it out.

Always, when RNG is involved, you're better off not bothering when you need to invest in your own resources at that point.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

IMO, players should be able to pay X threads to get the exact combo you want. And if that is not technically feasible, then rerolls should be free like the epic gem or atleast way way cheaper considering the math/RNG variance on this one. The price + RNG is incredibly punishing...even regular weekly raiders can easily burn a half year worth of raid threads or more and still not get what you want. That's not ok IMO...too brutal. With the status the item is in right now I personally just play the game with the mindset that the Legendary GoMF doesn't exist when doing gearing for endgame.

I guess they intended it to be a thread sink but it goes too far. At the minimum the reroll thread price should be dramatically reduced.

Yep it’s terrible

Save yourself the frustration exclude that item from your gear then build your setup without it YW

Community Member

Its more evidence on the ever-mounting list of proofs the devs do not pay any attention to us.

Don't waste a single other thread on it. It is a broken, useless item and always will be.
    If I can read the dev tracker, you can too.

always stunned to learn of peeps wasting threads on it. Is there really nothing else to so with all those threads?

With level cap ever increasing, will it not be outdated soon anyway? I guess the big advantage of it is that you can craft to higher levels on it
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member

If you really want the perfect combo you should have about 50000 threads and even then it's not certain but still extremely likely you get it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    With level cap ever increasing, will it not be outdated soon anyway? I guess the big advantage of it is that you can craft to higher levels on it
    Not quite. Assuming the game lasts long enough(which is a big, fat "if" the way things are going), there will be Legendary Reincarnation at some point in the future - at which time all the ML30 legendary gear will magically become great twink gear.

Of course since they're never going to fix the GoMF, it will still be useless even then.
    If I can read the dev tracker, you can too.

I really like the GoMF, and have made several. I limit my rerolls to about 5 and live with what i get. I've gotten 3 very good melee setups this way, and several very weak to me caster ones that I won't use. If you really are stuck on a set
    then it can be very, very painful. I rerolled my epic level gem, into exactly what i wanted. It took me two seperate 30 minute sessions of rerolling to get it, those are free rerolls, and I was still rather irritated with the process. If I insisted on that set in Legendary it may have cost me 50,000 or more threads.

Should there be a way of buying what you want with say 2,500 threads... yes there should.
    Scotty! I need more power!

Community Member

Chase item must be chased

There's a reason its so hard to get, and its the same reason you want it so bad

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Chase item must be chased

There's a reason its so hard to get, and its the same reason you want it so bad
    To quote the WOPR, "The only winning move is not to play."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

I think it is a good system.

Overall, it is pretty easy in DDO to get any gear you want. A few things are rare - like (raid) items with +mythic + reaper but even that has become slightly more accessible with reaper fragments.

Having just one item that is rare due to randomness is absolutely fine. The issue isnt the randomness, the issue is the feeling of being entitled to be able to get *everything*.

I still miss several items from the right chest in Skelly - and even though I would love to be able to simply buy those for runes I still realise that it is good for the game that I cannot do that yet. Maybe once the next raid get here but not before.
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Snip~ and its the same reason you want it so bad
    Or completely ignore it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stunty View Post
    I wasted 6500 threads trying to get a legendary gem of many facets combo right for my build and was unsuccessful. I was wondering why there is such a steep price to pay for this considering the amount of raiding it took to build them up. Have they considered doing the same idea they do with the epic gem in the stone of change? And for the love of all that is pure in the world, DO NOT tell me there is, as my only option seemed to be to spend 100 threads for a reroll LOL

Frustrated AF

Leadbelly
    GMoF, Changestone, Reaper crafting are all designed for the top 1% who have nothing else to do in-game and have achieved everything - Triple heroic, iconic, epic, racial completeionists, 156 reaper points etc. What is the position for your character?

Default Stop! Stop! Its a simulation!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    To quote the WOPR, "The only winning move is not to play."

Devs heard you, they don't want to change it.
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.

Quote Originally Posted by Valtan View Post
    GMoF, Changestone, Reaper crafting are all designed for the top 1% who have nothing else to do in-game and have achieved everything - Triple heroic, iconic, epic, racial completeionists, 156 reaper points etc.
    citation needed

I wish they made the Legendary version a socket system where you buy "Inclusion of the <insert name of set bonus>" with threads. Basically a system like raid filigree. It would have been nice to have another way to turn Threads into Astral Shards. But, that ship sailed eight whole updates ago. Also, 100 treads per re-roll is too effing expensive. So, in this regard, I am on the OP's side.

That said, the OP was implying that in 65 rolls, they couldn't come up with anything that would be a good combo for one of their characters?

If you're going to play this mini-game, I'd like to suggest some strategies to make it less stressful:
    • First, abandon the whole "Perfect double combo" nonsense. That mindset is killing your fun. Don't think in that context. Don't plan gearsets using that thought process. Seriously, just stop doing this.
    • Second, identify what set bonuses you covet. Write that down on a list.
    • Third, only focus on getting one of each of the sets you covet. Once you get that single set, stop.
    • Fourth, if it's not on your list, and you're deciding to reroll a LGoMF's ask yourself: What would I use this on? If your answer is "Nothing", stop being an Pakled and keep asking the question until you come up with an answer. If the answer is "<This>, but I don't like playing <This>.", then go ahead and reroll.

All of my great Gems came from not giving an eff about what the second set was. For example, what I wanted was an Elder's Focus/Starless Nights combo for an Alchemist. What I got was a much more versatile Elder's Focus/Scavenger combo that I use on my Bard.
    Things worthy of Standing Stone going EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on.:
    • Epic and Legendary Mysterious ring upgrades, please.
    • Change the stack size of filigree in the shared bank to 50. The 5 stack makes the shared bank worthless for storing filigree in a human usable manner.
    • Fixing why I don't connect to the chat server for 5 minutes when I log into a game world.
    • Fixing the wonky Lightning Sphere and Tactical Det firing by converting them to use alchemist spell arcing.
    • Redoing the drop rates of tomes in generic and raid loot tables.

Quote Originally Posted by thread title changed to...
    Thread: Gem of Many Facets
    Just for the record, although I concede the original title clearly broke forum rules, it was still clever, and an understandable vent.
    o7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast