Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDO health ?

Default DDO health ?

We have seen a ton of threads doomsaying and all but is there a possible way we could player fund a deep dive into hardware/ the coding to allow for larger servers and core functionality upgrades. Things that were build on old spaghetti code could be rewritten. It would be a ton of money but id throw my share in. Anyways no rant and just a few ideas.

1. DDO code needs to be rewritten and the game re-released after a large amount of moneh gathering. Needs to be fairly transparent though.
    2. Game mechanics need to be simplified BUT allow for more diversity. Remove Reaper trees entirely but maybe add in a system which awards universal AP instead letting some power back to players in a system we already utilize?
    3. Figure out if pastlives could somehow be worked to be lighter duty on the server somehow.
    4. For the love of god remove some crafting bloat and see if itemization is causing issues. I know gear tetris makes rerunning a thing and makes a time sink but can we do it a different way? Maybe pack materials can be used to craft exclusive augments or something?

I just want the game to be seen in a good light between players and devs. Kinda need to come on together and everyone paddle the boat in the same direction. Whether is costs money or not. If we could fund it hire more devs to rewrite old code. If it breaks some things thats ok in the name of progress.

I think at the end of the day DDO needs an engine update. Right now we are a 1970s Big Block Chevy being squeezed for emissions and down on power, time to throw in the modern V8 even if some stuff changes along the way.

Happy questing everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel99 View Post
    We have seen a ton of threads doomsaying and all but is there a possible way we could player fund a deep dive into hardware/ the coding to allow for larger servers and core functionality upgrades. Things that were build on old spaghetti code could be rewritten. It would be a ton of money but id throw my share in. Anyways no rant and just a few ideas.

1. DDO code needs to be rewritten and the game re-released after a large amount of moneh gathering. Needs to be fairly transparent though.
    2. Game mechanics need to be simplified BUT allow for more diversity. Remove Reaper trees entirely but maybe add in a system which awards universal AP instead letting some power back to players in a system we already utilize?
    3. Figure out if pastlives could somehow be worked to be lighter duty on the server somehow.
    4. For the love of god remove some crafting bloat and see if itemization is causing issues. I know gear tetris makes rerunning a thing and makes a time sink but can we do it a different way? Maybe pack materials can be used to craft exclusive augments or something?

I just want the game to be seen in a good light between players and devs. Kinda need to come on together and everyone paddle the boat in the same direction. Whether is costs money or not. If we could fund it hire more devs to rewrite old code. If it breaks some things thats ok in the name of progress.

I think at the end of the day DDO needs an engine update. Right now we are a 1970s Big Block Chevy being squeezed for emissions and down on power, time to throw in the modern V8 even if some stuff changes along the way.

Happy questing everyone!
    Sorry, but without an investment in the millions DDO2 just isn't likely.

use client side storage,
    consolidated character sheet data access processing during the quest.
    have more then 1 hardware server for 6 virtual servers.
    1 for banking and storage data, another for vender and ah shard exchange access, another for common travel between continents...
    segregated from the actual gaming or lfm servers.
    which would need a code rewrite.
    a mega server for connections LFM with virtual servers for the quests which display latency information to create an environment for less lag.
    ( who really cares about common area latency?)
    not that I'm a software engineer or anything.

Community Member

Yes, this game certainly needs to be rewritten. Its the only way to get rid of the lag problems. Unfortunately as posted above, it would take many millions to rewrite the game on a newer platform so unless there's a billionaire playing DDO who has money to burn, its not happening.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

The game has been doomed for seventeen years now.
    I gave up a life of farming to become an Adventurer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

could start by locking the lfm to 1 quest at a time for anyone in the lfm.
    got groups running different quests
    seems once a player is in a quest no-one should be able to open another one.

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    might as well lock server to 1 player at a time. That'd surely help with lag.

Community Member

Why? Also, it is not likely something SSG controls anyway.

I am curious. Why do you think that matters at all?
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Community Member

Are you saying that all people playing a particular quest should be in the same instance? Or are you saying that once someone puts up an LFM for Brining the Light, all people should join that one until it is full? Or perhaps you are suggesting something else?

I'm not being argumentative, but simply trying to understand your proposal (and why your proposal would be beneficial).

use client side storage,
    consolidated character sheet data access processing during the quest.
    1 for banking and storage data, another for vender and ah shard exchange access, another for common travel between continents...
    segregated from the actual gaming or lfm servers.
    which would need a code rewrite.
    a mega server for connections LFM with virtual servers for the quests which display latency information to create an environment for less lag.
    ( who really cares about common area latency?)
    not that I'm a software engineer or anything.
    actually they are doing this on update 59 lam...

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I am curious. Why do you think that matters at all?
    I would think it taxs the server buffer with more data from both maps rather than from only 1 to the lfm channel.
    possible area for memory leak ?
    I would think the less things that happen in quest that are not ordinary the less lag spike glitches there would be.
    along with background loading of players active on the server ( the who Tab)
    players in the guild on line ( guild tab)
    bank data from character and inventory and TR bank as well as shared bank and how it is loaded and or carried by the Character into the lfm .
    character names in the LFM tab

what if 1 players is loading characters names from the who is in the background is causing the quest to lag ?
    if this information was all updated by all player prior to entering game play at character loading screen < but this is a problem already because of queve lines from character switching to mules and such. some of this data could be stored locally< security risk) and would not need to be updated for each login. i guess you would need a good security encryption from hackers.
    Last edited by archest; 04-04-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Are you saying that all people playing a particular quest should be in the same instance? Or are you saying that once someone puts up an LFM for Brining the Light, all people should join that one until it is full? Or perhaps you are suggesting something else?

I'm not being argumentative, but simply trying to understand your proposal (and why your proposal would be beneficial).
    not al all if your already in a lfm and that lfm started you should be locked into that quest unless you leave the lfm or all players have left the last quest.
    meaning you cant open another quest if someone in the group is in a quest.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    The game has been doomed for seventeen years now.
    Right?

First one I remember was Conan was the DDO killer. Flavor of the week changes all the time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by boldarblood View Post
    Right?

First one I remember was Conan was the DDO killer. Flavor of the week changes all the time.
    They have their heart in the right place, but from a technical point of view, Funcom is basically SSG with a bigger headcount

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicis View Post
    Sorry, but without an investment in the millions DDO2 just isn't likely.
    But they have very very very rare sales of Otto boxes and such that should bring in tons of dough. It's like twice a month or something. Marketing like this should guarantee positive EBITDA and investment capital.
    Gordion ~ Jaheira ~ Piccolo
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Strider1963 View Post
    Yes, this game certainly needs to be rewritten. Its the only way to get rid of the lag problems. Unfortunately as posted above, it would take many millions to rewrite the game on a newer platform so unless there's a billionaire playing DDO who has money to burn, its not happening.

Its not like this game hasn't generated multi millions over the years, they have it, they just don't want to spend it because we as players keep paying and coming back. So unless that changes drastically , no new changes like that will ever be done.

Great game, great ideas, poor execution at times. it happens when companies get big and no longer need to make those adjustments to keep income rolling in.
    When you ignore any type of leadership, you yourself are not fit to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by dogbreath68 View Post
    Its not like this game hasn't generated multi millions over the years, they have it, they just don't want to spend it because we as players keep paying and coming back. So unless that changes drastically , no new changes like that will ever be done.

Great game, great ideas, poor execution at times. it happens when companies get big and no longer need to make those adjustments to keep income rolling in.
    "Raiding the Till" is the most successful quest of all time for SSG.
    Gordion ~ Jaheira ~ Piccolo
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its a video game based on an RPG game which has a lot of copyright issues with hands out for the margin.

if the game was controlled by 1 entity decisions of a major upgrade would be as easy as DDO 2.0.

so new investment is not interested in investing in someone else's game.
    current owners aren't interested in cooperating enough to upgrade. (reinvest into the upgrade)
    I don't know but I don't think I'd fix up your house so you could sell it for more money and then pocket the margin without repaying me.

Community Member ShifterThePirate's Avatar

The new test server lag fix seems really promising! Amazing how smooth the game runs there now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast