Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SSG: We need to talk about the LAG

Hi SSG, great game. Fantastic game!

But, it's currently unplayable. Like seriously. And it isn't on our end, we've been deluding ourselves thinking it was, we've upgraded/souped up machines hooking onto our universities' dedicated 100 Terabyte connections that should be used for research but it ain't working.

The game is simply unplayable.

Fixing the lag should be your #1 Priority.

Thank you, and you're doing a great job with the rest of the stuff!

Hell I got to talk about the Stradivarius !!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43curh

PS: I hope you are a Bard with that name (and not a boxer)!
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 04-03-2023 at 10:04 AM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Stockholder syndrome: a proposed condition in which customers believe they have a say in company's business priorities.

When everyone was complaining about the orien lag you were trying to convince people the lag was fake news. Any idea why this wasn't impacting you before, but it suddenly a top priority now?

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6575227

Quote Originally Posted by Stradivarius View Post
    At least for me and my crew, we're experiencing ZERO lag on Orien.

There's a lot of players and devs disguised as players trying to scare you from transfering off your dying server to Orien. But don't be fooled.

Orien is the mega-server promised land. Don't miss your chance! Who knows if they'll shut it all down early again!

Maybe open up a "transfer off Orien" special period - seems like the simplest solution
    Last edited by slarden; 04-03-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Maybe open up a "transfer off Orien" special period - seems like the simplest solution
    Given the way the transfers were handled(read: "bungled") this doesn't seem likely. Unless another HCL league comes along and ends conveniently when transfers to other servers are broken, don't expect anything.
    If I can read the dev tracker, you can too.

Not saying lag isn't present on other servers and can only speak of my own experience on Thelanis, but it's really not been an issue for me recently.

I took a break from the game for a year and came back about a month or so ago and haven't had any particular issue with lag. This contrasts with before I left where it was pretty usual to have a spike or two and, albeit rarely, it could cause a party wipe in high reaper. Now the spikes seem rare and party wipes are zero.

Not to trivialise the issue, as I can appreciate the lag monster is awful when it hits, but this does seem to be a bigger issue on Orien than elsewhere.

So I'm not sure what the Devs can or even should do when it seems to be mainly affecting one server in particular, and the one which has recently been the subject of a player driven campaign to have folks utilise the recent free transfers to get to Orien. With, I seem to recall, the OP as one of the chief cheer leaders in that campaign, and throwing in quite a bit of uncalled for and unseemly gloating on other servers, particularly GLand. To the point where they were called out for trolling by Cordovan.

I also see some folks form Orien are apparently happy to pay the lag price in order to have more folks to group with.

Seems to me this is a problem much of players making, not least the OP. So those players have two choices: ether suck it up and pay the lag price as some seem happy to do, or pay to transfer off of Orien and mark the mistake of transferring there down to experience.

In short I don't see this necessarily as a Dev problem to fix. Though I do have sympathy for those "original" Orien players impacted by the influx to the "mega server".

I didn't have a dog in the fight when the OP was engaging in their anti GLand shenanigans, and looked on quietly and somewhat bemused at it all at the time, but I'm sorry to have to say I can't find much sympathy here for the OP now, and feel it now involves me when the issue is now being portrayed, wrongly, as some game-wide crisis. It isn't. At least not from where I'm standing.

So good luck whatever option you choose to take, but I can't really support this plea for Dev prioritisation. It's really your mess to clean up. Sorry.

My dudes, I have to come clean here and say that the mega-server idea (which seemed good at the time) may have not been all that it's been cracked up to be.

Don't get me wrong Orien's pop explosion have been a blast but the lag hangover seriously makes primetime unplayable. So much so that it's caster/nuker only .. if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwier View Post

So good luck whatever option you choose to take, but I can't really support this plea for Dev prioritisation. It's really your mess to clean up. Sorry.
    This is really not an accurate statement. Saying its "Your mess to clean up" is implying that the player has control over the amount of lag that we experience. Since this is not the case, then no.. it is not our mess to clean up, but the developer's.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Community Member

[QUOTE=slarden;6579385]When everyone was complaining about the orien lag you were trying to convince people the lag was fake news. Any idea why this wasn't impacting you before, but it suddenly a top priority now?

[URL]https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/537658-ORIEN-Is-Fine-and-lagless?p=6575227&viewfull=1#post6575227[/URL

LOL! How true! More than a few Orien players said back a while that there was little to no lag on Orien. They even enticed more people to transfer there for the large population. This goes to prove that you sometimes get what you ask for, and sometimes thats not a good thing.

Let's not blame the players for wanting to be on a server that is actually populated. If this game can't handle server's that are decently populated, well you know where it is headed.

SSG is the one who allowed the free transfers, for anyone, not just hardcore players. SSG is the one to blame here, another blunder, another day for SSG.

Perhaps they need to seperate the population into Wayfinder size servers...lol.
    Last edited by Assassination; 04-03-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Lag is not an orien only issue. The arguments over this server specifically, player decisions, or SSGs decisions seem silly to me when lag affects all servers.

While I doubt any devs want to have an honest conversation about lag in DDO, there's a few things I'd like to know...

2 years ago the doublestrike (and other) changes went into effect, and had a significant impact on lag, but the lag returned only a few updates later.

-Was this caused by the introduction of the new destiny system? Has this been looked at since?
    -Was this done in order to downgrade the servers to save costs for the company?
    -Were there other system changes made that could have caused lag to return?
    -What, if anything, is currently being done to reduce lag in the future?
    Thelanis

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Archer View Post
    Lag is not an orien only issue. The arguments over this server specifically, player decisions, or SSGs decisions seem silly to me when lag affects all servers.

While I doubt any devs want to have an honest conversation about lag in DDO, there's a few things I'd like to know...

2 years ago the doublestrike (and other) changes went into effect, and had a significant impact on lag, but the lag returned only a few updates later.

-Was this caused by the introduction of the new destiny system? Has this been looked at since?
    -Was this done in order to downgrade the servers to save costs for the company?
    -Were there other system changes made that could have caused lag to return?
    -What, if anything, is currently being done to reduce lag in the future?
    I would be very curious to see how a breakdown of DDO server and database costs per player would like like. As CPUs, disks databases, bandwidth etc get faster and cheaper, you would think that DDO would have less problems with lag, not more. I suspect that either the business people are skimping on server hardware because it is "free to play" (even though profits per player in DDO were high), or there is some very nasty bottleneck built into DDO somewhere (usually the DB layer) and the devs are either unaware or unable to fix it.

At this point I think many would be desperate enough to just throw money at lag to make it go away. $5 for an evening with personal dedicated server hardware anyone?

My 2 cents is that they should spend a few months to fix the lag and then merge everything into one server. While justifying spending resources on lag fixes might be difficult, if you could roll everybody onto one server where you could easily find groups again, the business value of that to new and old players alike should be pretty easy to grasp.
    Last edited by LurkingVeteran; 04-03-2023 at 04:16 PM.

No lag on G-land. Thanks for taking that "special Ghallanda lag" to Orien.

All the LFM's in the world that I would of never joined in the first place couldn't convince me.

Community Member

lel, guy is expanding on his routine

seems to me we have been talking about lag, for me anyway, in this forum, since 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    seems to me we have been talking about lag, for me anyway, in this forum, since 2016.
    Because people blame SSG for their performance problems when its their own hardware/ISP

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malveaux View Post
    No lag on G-land. Thanks for taking that "special Ghallanda lag" to Orien.

All the LFM's in the world that I would of never joined in the first place couldn't convince me.
    Maybe that lag was caused by certain players (or at least, some characters contribute more than others). I know my main, with all his gear and past lives, lags more than my other characters so perhaps those seasoned characters that used to be on G-land were the source of your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by erethizon View Post
    Maybe that lag was caused by certain players (or at least, some characters contribute more than others). I know my main, with all his gear and past lives, lags more than my other characters so perhaps those seasoned characters that used to be on G-land were the source of your problem.
    I never really had the lag problem. My main doesn't just lag because of the past lives and reaper points.

Community Member

1. DDO is not unplayable. Not even close.
    2. People tend to personalize their experience and then extrapolate that to conclusions that can't be supported by said experience.
    3. Almost all these server posts are done with ulterior motives.
    4. Orien has changed from a boutique server to a mega-server. We are all experiencing changes to gameplay. Are there a few negatives? Sure. But when the exchange is being able to get a group at virtually any time of day and playing in a game that actually feels alive, I for one think it is well worth the adjustment we all have to go through. Change is not something to be feared.
    5. Continuous posts about lag are only going to lead to character nerfs (that may or may not reduce lag). Proceed at your own risk.

I am Awesomesauce!

Recruiting on Ghallanda for us hasn't been this healthy since the old days (at least 6 years ago). PUG groups are way down temporarily but are seeing improvements as new blood arrives.

People need to remember what BUILT & MAINTAINED DDO. It wasn't servers. It was GUILDS. From DAY ONE. Devs and guilds. The servers are INTERCHANGEABLE. But GUILDS arent. Which guild you are in MATTERS. Guilds create the ambiance, the player experience, the friendships that can last a lifetime. So I think SSG needs to turn the conversation from servers to GUILDS.

We are sticking to what we've always done best, to create a drama free zone where people from all walks of life could play together. Day or night. Its just that simple. We know how to do that. So for us, we are trying harder in our guild to provide more events, and we are opening some of it up to Ghallanda to join us and get a feel of that GUILD LIFE (in an organized guild of 16 years running). And just to have FUN.

So what happened?

Sadly, there was an undertow of drama by a select few who do NOT CARE about the game and haven't cared for more years then we have fingers. This mega server idea was NOT POSSIBLE, is not possible and never will be possible in DDO. The tech is just NOT THERE.

So all this did was to create false hope, confusion and doubt & fear in our player base, and it provided fodder for those select few negative nancies that want to see the game die. For that minority, they haven't had this much fun since the old days when blacklisted websites actually could hurt the game.

My opinion is that Ghallanda will rebound. Reasons to play on Ghallanda are manifold. There are still lots of guilds that will soon see growth, as the server repopulates. Others will come back. Some already have. Its GOOD for the game to re-populate Ghallanda as soon as possible. And what is good for DDO is great for Tyrs Paladium and any guild leader, on any server, who has spent a good deal of time in their lives building up their guild. What helps your guild helps the game. And thats something that means something to me and I would hope just about everyone that still plays the game.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 04-04-2023 at 12:13 AM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast