Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member

It was very well done. I hope it gets some kind of sequel and inspires other D&D projects. Maybe Netflix could bankroll a new D&D anime or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nandos View Post
    It was very well done. I hope it gets some kind of sequel and inspires other D&D projects. Maybe Netflix could bankroll a new D&D anime or something.
    The streaming rights are controlled by Paramount +. There is a Dragonlance Series in the works, Joe Mangeniello is the Series Producer, he might be best known as Flash Thompson in the 2002 Spider-Man film and the 2007 follow-up Spider-Man 3.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nandos View Post
    There's already vox machina if you want an animated DnD thing that takes 11 years to tell a decent story.
    If I can read the dev tracker, you can too.

Default 9/10 Dang near perfect!

It was ingenious. Great way to get new blood from today's generation into D&D.

Characters were great. A BARD is the main character! YESS!! YESS!! YESS!!

The opener: Worst part of the movie. The 1st 10 minutes was a disjointed clusterbunk. At least there are cool looking cinematography which kept me interested but they SPOILED a chance to expand on the D&D lore to educate viewers that werent D&D folk. May prove confusing in the beginning and leave the non-D&D person confused throughout the movie. They could have addressed this oversight in the first 10-20 minutes.

But then the movie KICKS into gear and becomes everything I wanted to see in a D&D movie! I felt Baldur's Gate type of humor & SONG! Bard's Tale types of humor! Its not as polished as Lord of the Rings.... but a SUPREMELY talented cast and the movie's got D&D CAMERADERIE written all over it!!!

Its a STRONG WINNER. I'd like to see more D&D movies with this cast! GO SEE IT WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!

https://www.dungeonsanddragons.movie/

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Thought it was good, not great, but worth the price of admission. Definitely better than the 2 older movies.
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofus View Post
    Thought it was good, not great, but worth the price of admission. Definitely better than the 2 older movies.
    THREE older movies!

Did you forget about Dungeons and Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness movie?

To be fair, that was a SyFy movie, I think.

But yeah, this new film was WAY better than all the other ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Community Member

It was well done.

dragon was amazing.

my 2 probs are the bard and the barb

He acted more like a rogue then a bard - only using the lute a couple of times and was overly obsessed with gold. I also wish that they would use more magic (bard, healing etc) and before you say it is supposed to be a low magic - you have people using frickin time stop! a ninth level spell!

and the barb

i truly dont understand how she keeps getting roles. her version of acting is the same stone face in every role. car blew up? stares blankly. love interest kissing someone else? stares blankly. dragon coming at you? stares blankly.

at least they played to her strengths

barb is supposed to be angry and non emotional otherwise so they got that right!

and finally, i loved the wildshape scene but have 2 small problems with it - you cant shift that many times in a day but i consider that house rules as she didnt cast any spells. and 2nd you cant detect wild shape with magic! you need detect thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobgoblin51 View Post
    It was well done.

dragon was amazing.
    Agree, I love that tubby dragon. I need a big squishy, pillow of Themberchaud.

He acted more like a rogue then a bard - only using the lute a couple of times and was overly obsessed with gold. I also wish that they would use more magic (bard, healing etc) and before you say it is supposed to be a low magic - you have people using frickin time stop! a ninth level spell!
    I figured he was a multi-classed bard/rogue the moment he gave up his life with harpers and began thieving. But I agree the magic usage was a bit lopsided with one side using top spell levels and the other... the bard, the druid, using little to no? spells... I'm sure the paladin used more magic on screen than they did. I think the bard did more Use Magic Device than use magic. But again bard/rogue is a pretty ubiquitous multi-class I can't say it was unexpected.

and 2nd you cant detect wild shape with magic! you need detect thoughts!
    That bothered me too.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

It was well done.

dragon was amazing.

and the barb

i truly dont understand how she keeps getting roles. her version of acting is the same stone face in every role. car blew up? stares blankly. love interest kissing someone else? stares blankly. dragon coming at you? stares blankly.

barb is supposed to be angry and non emotional otherwise so they got that right!

and finally, i loved the wildshape scene but have 2 small problems with it - you cant shift that many times in a day but i consider that house rules as she didnt cast any spells. and 2nd you cant detect wild shape with magic! you need detect thoughts!
    Yeah the bard clearly didnt take instruction from Mississippee! I found MULTIPLE spots in the movie where my bard could have healed and threw Crowd Control!! I was like what the hell is wrong with this bard!? Haha

I LOVED how they were very IMPERFECT in the beginning, hapless, but through TEAMWORK they became much better than the sum of their parts---- BEST PART of the movie for me as that is REAL D&D and real GUILD life.

As far as liking gold too much, Im PERFECTLY ok with that part, after all Misissippee was originally built as a haggle bard and still has the means. Now as far as inspiring COURAGE... I thought he was a bit lacking but he does eventually come through with it. YES more LUTE! I was thinking about the SNL COWBELL bit... "Can I have a little more COWBELL!?"

But its a bard in the main role... Im overall VERY THRILLED with that decision and end result.

Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 04-08-2023 at 12:51 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Community Member

It was well done.

and 2nd you cant detect wild shape with magic! you need detect thoughts!

Given what was happening in that scene, other than the wild shaped druid, I'd say that it's far more likely she was using detect thoughts than detect magic. If I'm trying to convince two extremely wealthy people to do something, I'd much rather have some idea of what they're thinking than trying to detect magic. She just rolled well enough on her deception check to convince everyone else that it was detect magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post

I figured he was a multi-classed bard/rogue the moment he gave up his life with harpers and began thieving. But I agree the magic usage was a bit lopsided with one side using top spell levels and the other... the bard, the druid, using little to no? spells... I'm sure the paladin used more magic on screen than they did. I think the bard did more Use Magic Device than use magic. But again bard/rogue is a pretty ubiquitous multi-class I can't say it was unexpected.

That was probably done as a conceit to the "5 man band" trope to ensure that each character had a niche which was all theirs. To let the sorcerer ("smart guy", aka usually some kind of caster / hacker) shine, neither the bard ("leader") nor druid ("tough guy" because the barbarian is the "lancer" of the group) could have access to spells in the first movie. I think that we'll see more spellcasting from those characters if there is a sequel.

Liked it alot. Thought it was alot of fun and might open up opportunities for all kinds of dnd adventures. Cast was great and the end fight had some of the best magic ive seen in any fantasy movie. Mimics gelanous cubes dragonborn all good. I give it 8/10
    Khyber IN BAD COMPANY Longand Drunkmage Sexyheals Fullforce

Community Member

He acted more like a rogue then a bard
    I figure he multi-classes when he became a harper, with only a very few levels in bard and most of it in rogue.

you cant shift that many times in a day but i consider that house rules as she didnt cast any spells.
    One thing to consider about that scene: it did not actually help achieve her goal in any meaningful way, it just looked really really cool. So chock it up to rule of cool.

Default Omg omg omg!

OMG OMG OMG!

(sorry I'm not familiar with this level of entusiasm of mine)

OMG OMG OMG!

This is what I've been waiting for 20 years at least.
    Something that gives the spirit of D&D for those who thinks RPG is only for kids.
    Polska gildia DDO / Polish guild

Polska gildia DDO - Magia i Miecz (200), Argonnessen
    Zapraszamy!

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

It was well done.

dragon was amazing.

and the barb

The dragon was amusing not amazing Vermithrax looked better. the barb was tiny and annoying the bird man and halfling looked truly fake but overall a decent movie. Your right about the bard but I hate bards so being more rogue like was a plus to me

Beware the Sleepeater

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by count_spicoli View Post
    Liked it alot. Thought it was alot of fun and might open up opportunities for all kinds of dnd adventures. Cast was great and the end fight had some of the best magic ive seen in any fantasy movie. Mimics gelanous cubes dragonborn all good. I give it 8/10
    The Dragonborn looked fake they should have done a better job

Beware the Sleepeater

The Dragonborn looked kinda like Skeksis from the Dark Crystal, and the Tabaxi were pretty creepy.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie.
    Ghallanda: Tervail (solo player)

Community Member

Default SPOILERS Minor ones

SPOILERS Minor ones

There were two parts in the movie that had me in tears laughing...

First one was when he was playing his musical instrument walking toward the guards, and his face starts distorting.... I laughed so hard I almost couldnt breathe..

Second one that had me rolling is at the end, when the druid turned into a Owlbear and was smashing the female red wizard into the ground over and over.. that too had me rolling.

As for the entire movie how I felt about it..

It was awesome to hear names of places.. BUT I felt the story line was all over the place ... There just is too much Dungeons and Dragons world, and lore, and history, places.. just way way too much stuff to try to cram a movie getting as much references to places as possible.

The over all story line could been better written.
    The acting was great.
    You are welcome to follow me on Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/cmecu_grogerian OR https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5...4Db-RhwMsZBedQ
    Also Friday Nights 8pm EST Brock and Friends DDO Stream https://www.twitch.tv/ddostream

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmecu View Post
    It was awesome to hear names of places.. BUT I felt the story line was all over the place ... There just is too much Dungeons and Dragons world, and lore, and history, places.. just way way too much stuff to try to cram a movie getting as much references to places as possible.
    That's an interesting take on it, I actually found it all flowed fairly well. My only real complaint is how "convenient" everything felt - but that's sort of a case of rule of conservation of detail. Each scene led well into the next in a logical and orderly fashion. But little things like how easy it was to find the paladin, how the helm "just happened" to be hidden within walking distance of an entrance to the Underdark that was, itself, conveniently within walking distance of where they found the paladin... yeah.

Not that it ruined the movie for me though. I fine gripes like that in all dense films.

Quote Originally Posted by elvesunited View Post
    Am I the only one to check if DDO's underdark red dragon was the same name as the movie's underdark red dragon?
    ( It wasn't )
    Ah, but the movie's Underdark red dragon IS the same as in Forgotten Realms Underdark: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Themberchaud
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123