Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default what do you think about the new D&D movie?

Hi guys, let us speak a little about the new milestone in fantasy film genre using D&D and Forgotten Realms as base. What do you like and what do you hate and do you would like a next part? My two cents: Hug Grant and Chris Pine are brilliant and quiet charismatic humorous main players. I like the red wizard\ Szass Tam parts very much. And of course the druid shape changes... Best regards Tarinia

Incredible. It was refreshing and one of the better movies (in general) for a long while.

Also I liked how the melee was the only one to die at the end so DDO accurate as well.

8.5/10 (I don't give 10's) overall

10/10 if you play anything remotely D&D.

Saw it this morning and it was fantastic.
    The Nak Abides - Argo - Ascent
    Ganak Goblinjuicer ~ Xanak the Irregular

Default Some SPOILERS! You have been WARNED.

I thought the beginning where he was telling the backstory was contrived and dull and a chore to get through even though it makes sense in the vein of a D&D game/story. It just did not work well for film IMHO. However, once past that bit I enjoyed the film overall. It got really, really amusing in the Speak with Dead scene, and once in the Underdark I was fully enjoying it. I loved the tubby dragon and I hope they make a plushie of him.

A couple things didn't make much sense to me, one being if the girl had an invisibility charm how did she not see, overhear something to make her question good Ol' uncle Forge's story. Also if her relationship with her dad had been as strong as the backstory conveyed while she might have resented him, I don't think she would have swallowed Forge's story so fully either. No one else in the whole of Neverwinter did magic? No magic user anywhere in the city or local questioned Sofina's role, her background, anything? Certainly no other magic user came to help during the end spell. Her time spell that trapped them at the beginning left NO harper witnesses just them to take the fall? And no one questioned that? Tabaxi+baby was some of the worst "special effects" in the film. Just ew. But the druid Shifting was pretty awesome to me.

I did like the main character's ability to pivot a plan whenever a new obstacle arose and simultaneously his ability to trust others to carry out their parts. The dictionary picture of Can-do Attitude, or bravado or both.

One thing the film was missing for me that I hope is in a special edition DVD/Blu-ray is a D20 roll on the side for important moments. Such as the moment he was trying to apologize to his daughter and convince her to leave with him but failed to realize it was Sofina disguised should have had a perception check fail 1 in the corner. Likewise, the wizard's Use Magic Device with attuning the helm should have repeatedly shown a string of failures so much so the column of numbers itself would have been hilarious.

Finally, I loved the inclusion of the characters from the cartoon.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    I thought the beginning where he was telling the backstory was contrived and dull and a chore to get through even though it makes sense in the vein of a D&D game/story. It just did not work well for film IMHO. However, once past that bit I enjoyed the film overall. It got really, really amusing in the Speak with Dead scene, and once in the Underdark I was fully enjoying it. I loved the tubby dragon and I hope they make a plushie of him.

A couple things didn't make much sense to me, one being if the girl had an invisibility charm how did she not see, overhear something to make her question good Ol' uncle Forge's story. Also if her relationship with her dad had been as strong as the backstory conveyed while she might have resented him, I don't think she would have swallowed Forge's story so fully either. No one else in the whole of Neverwinter did magic? No magic user anywhere in the city or local questioned Sofina's role, her background, anything? Certainly no other magic user came to help during the end spell. Her time spell that trapped them at the beginning left NO harper witnesses just them to take the fall? And no one questioned that? Tabaxi+baby was some of the worst "special effects" in the film. Just ew. But the druid Shifting was pretty awesome to me.

I did like the main character's ability to pivot a plan whenever a new obstacle arose and simultaneously his ability to trust others to carry out their parts. The dictionary picture of Can-do Attitude, or bravado or both.

One thing the film was missing for me that I hope is in a special edition DVD/Blu-ray is a D20 roll on the side for important moments. Such as the moment he was trying to apologize to his daughter and convince her to leave with him but failed to realize it was Sofina disguised should have had a perception check fail 1 in the corner. Likewise, the wizard's Use Magic Device with attuning the helm should have repeatedly shown a string of failures so much so the column of numbers itself would have been hilarious.

Finally, I loved the inclusion of the characters from the cartoon.
    You are right the speak with the dead scene and plush Dragon where quiet refreshing and amusing. Not the old standard we normally knew from our own games. The D20 is a really nice idea such as Baldurs Gate 3 is using the dice in the story. I was totally believing the story in the first place, perhaps because from gamemasters view the heroes shou!d be in the centre of the story and to much attendees are only in the way of quick action and story progress. Realistic is fantasy most often not anyway. Thanks Tarinia

It was excellent, and I'm hoping it gets more people interested in D&D. I believe that even those unfamiliar with D&D can still thoroughly enjoy it, so bring your non-D&D-loving friends along with you!

Community Member

seriously LOL'd at a particular Paladin trait that was portrayed

I guess I will be the voice of dissent here.

I thought it was not worth the time. Yes I thought seeing the cartoon guys was kind of neat but that was about it. The dumb jokes, the feet caught in the rope, the foot stuck in some mystical missing stone in the walk. Come on.

What would it take to make an actual adult orientated serious DnD movie for once.

And I sorry but the druid was ridiculous.

Take the kiddos to see it, leave any expectations at the door.

4/10 in my book.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Karaskkesir, Desideratum, Gregorii, Jhasmyne, Vis
    Ubique eo, invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Quote Originally Posted by Baahb3 View Post

I thought it was not worth the time. Yes I thought seeing the cartoon guys was kind of neat but that was about it. The dumb jokes, the feet caught in the rope, the foot stuck in some mystical missing stone in the walk. Come on.

What would it take to make an actual adult orientated serious DnD movie for once.

4/10 in my book.
    It won't sell.

People don't want serious like DragonLance : War of the Dragon Queen. Because A.) it would look dumb (very very hard to do these right LoTR movies were a big exception.) B.) People don't want serious, their lives are serious and they want to escape not relive their dreary "Ravenloft-like" lives. C.) People have no clue what all this is about; GoT broke ground by getting mainstreamers into fantasy. But D&D is high fantasy (the highest of high fantasy) it's just too crazy and "out there" to grab the attention of the mainstream.

Community Member

I thought it was a fun watch, over-expository dialogue notwithstanding. The acting was decent-good, and it felt like something that could have been a tabletop campaign (with some artistic licenses taken) I appreciate that a lot of the jokes were multilayered, where ttrpg players would get the added metahumor in addition to the joke, such as the speak with dead or intellect devourer scenes.

The second D&D film (Wrath of the Dragon God) tried to do that. It still failed epically at its goal, even by SyFy channel movie standards.

Community Member

4/10 in my book.
    got a certain impression from the trailers. So it is the Joss Whedon / MCU formula? Every sentence a "joke"?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stradivarius View Post
    It won't sell.

People don't want serious like DragonLance : War of the Dragon Queen. Because A.) it would look dumb (very very hard to do these right LoTR movies were a big exception.) B.) People don't want serious, their lives are serious and they want to escape not relive their dreary "Ravenloft-like" lives. C.) People have no clue what all this is about; GoT broke ground by getting mainstreamers into fantasy. But D&D is high fantasy (the highest of high fantasy) it's just too crazy and "out there" to grab the attention of the mainstream.
    yeah, and GoT was all comedy, flowers and cuteness... right.

Community Member

4/10 in my book.
    I asked myself the question a lot, if there is to much humour in it. But if you compare marvel with DC at start, there was much more humor in the marvel films and they were much more successfull. And I laughed and smiled more in the D&D movie then not about this looser wizard portrait. By the way I had broken nearly my foot from a broken stone in the street in reality, so it is not unbelievable. And what you remember more, the foolish Illusion or the fireballs of the thay wizardess?
    Last edited by Tarinia; 04-01-2023 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martininice View Post
    GoT is low fantasy fare. In fact it started losing people toward the latter seasons when all the dragons ice zombies and other fantasy stuff started to show up.

Saw the movie earlier today and liked it quite a bit.

LOVED the paladin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Community Member

Am I the only one to check if DDO's underdark red dragon was the same name as the movie's underdark red dragon?
    ( It wasn't )

8/10

Humor was fine. Action good. My only really complaint was how ( other than the planning ) useless the bard character was. In a movie with wizards and a shapeshifting druid they could have given the bard actual powers with his music.

I really enjoyed it.

Saw it with my wife and my friend who is a coworker and a DnD player that has played tabletop with me.

The friend who happens to be female really liked the barbarian character, because she plays Barbarians.

We both agreed that certain tabletop rules were broken, like teh Druid wild-shaping more than twice a day.

BUT the movie not adhering strictly to the rules made the non-player enjoy it (My wife).

I hope they have a sequel, or just another good DnD movie.

Having Szass Tam was nice too. He was/is my favorite "Big bad guy". I have had so many campaigns revolve around him because he's actually really interesting.

I recommend everyone seeing it.

Also, I ran into a player on Ghallanda who came back because the movie got him excited about DDO again. He evidently played in 2006 and a little past that, but the movie sort of got him to check out the game. Also he couldn't enter STK, so I told him about the code and he used it. Nice guy, hope he sticks around.
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Martininice View Post
    It is easier to get viewers to watch a tv series. They have already paid for the medium, so they are more inclined to give something new a try, because if they don't like it, they just lost a bit of time. A big screen movie is different. They have to get ready at a certain time, go out into the world, then pay to get in to watch it. To get people to do that, you have to hook them, catch their interest. The easiest way to do that is with something that makes them laugh.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RictrasShard View Post
    It is easier to get viewers to watch a tv series. They have already paid for the medium, so they are more inclined to give something new a try, because if they don't like it, they just lost a bit of time. A big screen movie is different. They have to get ready at a certain time, go out into the world, then pay to get in to watch it. To get people to do that, you have to hook them, catch their interest. The easiest way to do that is with something that makes them laugh.
    according to this, there would be no serious (as in not of comedic tone) movies in the cinema. That seems unlikely, looking at the mixed most watched lists in recent years... or movie history. And people did not give GoT e.g. "a try", it was one of the biggest small screen hypes. Daredevil and Punisher also had a huge following, to bring up some Marvel formats beyond "tehe, Thor's nekkid".

Community Member

I thought it was a great, fun little film and enjoyable to watch. I hope they make more of them.

As movies go over-all? It wasn't perfect. There were some special-effects failures and some problems with the cinematography. It was not a masterpiece, but not every movie has to be. There are far and away more good points than bad ones, and I am excited to see it a few dozen more times.
    If I can read the dev tracker, you can too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast