Community Member

Default PC - can't log in to any account on any server (launcher works, game fails to start)

My other computer can log into all the accounts, on any server just fine. So Its a Local problem.

So launcher asks me for my UN+PW I enter it in, it then prompts me to choose a server.
    I can choose ANY server:
    I get the message
    "getting in line to connect"
    Launcher exits
    and instead of the game launching.... nothing happens.
    No DDO process in task manager - nothing.

--
    Just before this I had a DDO crash and it lost my saved info (aka, which account name to pre-populate the launcher with) -- I tried to do a DDO repair.
    I just finished doing a complete uninstall and re-install. still the same problem as above.

any advice?
    thanks.

Windows 10 PC - I didn't change any hardware or software (to the best of my knowledge, who knows what windows updates in the background these days...)
    processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor 3.60 GHz 64bit
    Ram 8.00 GB
    Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

I also did another fresh uninstall, manually deleted the documents->DDO folder (where layouts and such files files are that do NOT get removed with uninstall) -- still same thing.
    Last edited by Finn42; 03-29-2023 at 04:19 AM.

download the Microsoft directx package from Microsoft downloads and install the older versions of directx. switch to an older version in the settings of the game launcher under options.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    download the Microsoft directx package from Microsoft downloads and install the older versions of directx. switch to an older version in the settings of the game launcher under options.
    um, can you please provide a bit more information ?

I am currently running directx12 , I don't see a specific build number with dxdiag though.
    quick google search shows that there is no good way to downgrade to dx11.

I tried telling the launcher: DNDLauncher.exe
    and client: dndclient.exe
    to run in windows7 compatibility mode for all users. (as one internet search suggests as way to try and force it to use an older directx version. ) This also doesn't help.

In the game launcher itself I don't see a place to select the older version.
    I have "select display adapter" automatic, Nvidia gefore gtx 560, and Microsoft basic render driver
    I have tried using all 3 options to no avail.

The game uses various libraries from the old dx9 stuff. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109 Install that just incase your system is lacking any of the old Dx9 files that the game needs.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by rabidfox View Post
    The game uses various libraries from the old dx9 stuff. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109 Install that just incase your system is lacking any of the old Dx9 files that the game needs.
    OK... so I went to the MS directX download, and it downloaded some stuff (even though dxdiag thought I was up to date) and now DDO is working again! yay, thanks for the solution of "update the thing that *shouldn't* have needed updating."