Community Member

Default ranged Dark hunter viable?

Can a ranged Dark Hunter be an effective build in Dungeons and Dragons Online, and what feats and enhancements should be prioritized to optimize their damage output? also i don't need it to be the most powerfull full end game max stats, just like the flavor of the class and asking if it can be viable(as in not dead weigth)

Ranged DH is perfectly viable! I think it's just outright better on most /6 Ranger builds than base Ranger. Don't bother using the DH imbue with ranged - despite scaling with MP or RP, it only applies on melee attacks.

doing it with a multi classed .
    rogue ranger wizard

horizon walker tree

sword and board and ranged using sneak attack die (d21) but the S&B isn't primary.
    wanted to try wizard instead of fighter. ( shield)
    so i get the make bleed strike and the eldritch strike as melee hits and a shield bash not bad but a good distraction while many shot rebuffs... but with the lag were having ... using a bow isn't enjoyable. really 0 imbue die in this build.
    just a few toggle effects which so far dont cancel each other out .
    Last edited by archest; 03-28-2023 at 09:03 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael_Odin View Post
    Can a ranged Dark Hunter be an effective build in Dungeons and Dragons Online, and what feats and enhancements should be prioritized to optimize their damage output?
    You mean as a pure Dark Hunter without any P2P Enhancements like Horizon Walker? It's technically doable, though you won't have Conjure Arrows (or AA Imbues) unless you invest into the elven Arcane Archer racial tree; so ammo management will be a PITA. But something like 41 Dark Hunter / 31 Deepwood Stalker / 8 Tempest has +1 crit range & multiplier, 12d6 sneak attacks, Mark of the Hunted, Sniper Shot, Haste Boost, +20 Ranged Power and 20% Doubleshot from Killer and Slayer in the Dark fully stacked. And a fully leveled pet for uhh role-play value I guess.

Or do you mean as a multiclassed ranged DPS option? The usual rogue / ranger build options like Inquisitive (e.g., rogue 12 / ranger 6 / Artificer 2) or Horizon Walker should work fine with Dark Hunter instead of regular ranger. Or if you want to be mostly-Dark Hunter: maybe Dark Hunter 18 / rogue 2 Inquisitive? 41 Inquisitive / 12 Harper Agent (INT to damage) / 11 Deepwood Stalker (Sniper Shot) / 8 Assassin (+3 Imbue dice) / 8 Vistani or Tempest (Haste Boost). Though I guess that's not very Dark-Hunter-like, which is kind of the problem with the tree in general IMO; even when you're trying to build around it, it can feel like you've got better things to do with your APs.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

5. 03-29-2023, 06:52 AM

Been toying with various DH iterations of builds (ranged, melee, pure, MC, etc.) since its release, and currently trying out a ranged DH and enjoying it the most of all of the builds I've tried. Initially went DH/DWS as Unbongwah suggested above, but felt the damage was lacking in heroics. I wager it's disgusting in epics though.

Currently playing it in heroics as a variant of Strim's acid arrow Ranger. Using Elf for AA, with an extra 3 imbue dice (Primal Energy), a pet, and trap skills. Works very well.

Can a ranged Dark Hunter be an effective build in Dungeons and Dragons Online, and what feats and enhancements should be prioritized to optimize their damage output? also i don't need it to be the most powerfull full end game max stats, just like the flavor of the class and asking if it can be viable(as in not dead weigth)
    Mostly better than normal ranger for ranged. The missing favored enemies is the main downside I noticed.

If going for the past life, 10 DH/9 Rogue/1 Any works.
    For a bit more DPS a 6 DH/13 Rogue/1 Barb or Monk or Fighter angle maybe.

+5 Sneak Dice to go the 13 Rogue route, +2 free SD for the Rogue levels, plus you have enough Rogue levels to qualify for Epic Sneak Attack feat +3 SD.
    Please consider the environment before printing this post

Community Member

Default Played one on R10 few lives ago

It was very overpowered in my opinion. With the double sneak attack enhancement for sneak attack dice I could target pretty much anything for a kill, including doom reapers. I think i had 66 sneak attack dice after turning invisible.