Community Member

Default Brand new player

I am a brand new player. I did dip my toes in a few years ago but hubby did't like the game so we moved on. I need a break here and there from our current games so I wanted to try again.

I am just not sure where to start. I want a caster or ranged dps. I am not a fan of melee lol. I would like to be able to find secret doors and traps. Some heals would be nice. Needs to be able to solo effectively due to my schedule and outside commitments. My grandsons live with me so I am prone to unexpected afks. I have a few classes unlocked from last time I played and don't mind subscribing to get a needed class. Newbie friendly as I have zero idea what I am doing.

Thanks!

rogue with a repeater crossbow.
    hi dexterity charisma build
    Charisma to be able to use Devine scrolls ( raise dead and heal and greater restore.... buffs, summon monster...)

no multi class
    play with the rogue pure build enhancement trees think of them as multitasking

mechanics for trapping
    assassin for the sneak attack die
    acrobat ( would use for staff or melee )
    and the race ( elf has a lot of free proficiency feats the racial tree offers search with out having to actually manually search to find trap boxes, find by just walking by them.)

but ya go pure rogue for a 1st life solo you wont be soloing elite reaper but normal and hard for your 1st inexperienced life is more than doable)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BujoGamer View Post
    I am a brand new player. I did dip my toes in a few years ago but hubby did't like the game so we moved on. I need a break here and there from our current games so I wanted to try again.

I am just not sure where to start. I want a caster or ranged dps. I am not a fan of melee lol. I would like to be able to find secret doors and traps. Some heals would be nice. Needs to be able to solo effectively due to my schedule and outside commitments. My grandsons live with me so I am prone to unexpected afks. I have a few classes unlocked from last time I played and don't mind subscribing to get a needed class. Newbie friendly as I have zero idea what I am doing.

Thanks!

I just started a few months ago, so here is what I learned, and I am in a similar situation. Hide is your friend. Most quests have semi-safe spots, so I just go hide in a corner, when I have to suddenly take care of something.

If you liked melee, I would recommend a Rogue. But, if you want Ranged, you might find find a Ranger is just what you need. The mechanic Rogue with a Crossbow, might work also.

If you are playing for fun, you probably will avoid the super hard levels, so Healing may not be that big of a problem. And the whole goal of ranged is to not get hit. So you might find that some Cure potions are enough to get you to the next healing shrine. I don't want stress, so I run everything on Normal or Hard.

You might find the Rogue2/Wizard builds interesting also.

Good luck and enjoy.