Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default Orien is crumbling

Absolute lag monstrosity last couple of days. Raids, R10s, quests - everywhere is stuttering, freezes and cant even recall from quests. Only way is to die and release. People are rage-quitting.

Time to move Orien to a new dedicated server with MORE resources.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

We foolishly thought DDO was an MMO. Big mistake.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

In other news, from the code to what seems like a blockbuster D&D movie, I forsee Ghallanda being 2nd most populated in a few months.
    Last edited by Stradivarius; 03-25-2023 at 11:18 AM.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Stradivarius View Post
    snip
    Thank you for your kind and considerate post. I hope the people in your life appreciate your compassionate personality.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Community Member

I have to add in the obligatory I'm not seeing this at all.

What are the locations of the affected accounts?

It's just hard to reconcile people frozen in place by lag when I'm literally not lagging at all.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoobTheProud View Post
    I have to add in the obligatory I'm not seeing this at all.

What are the locations of the affected accounts?

It's just hard to reconcile people frozen in place by lag when I'm literally not lagging at all.
    Just another sky-is-falling post. Yes, there is lag. No, it is not even close to unbearable.

I play DDO on a very old computer so I experience much worse lag than almost anyone else (I know this because I have a second account I play on a different computer sometimes and it is so much smoother with much faster loading than what I am used to on my main account). Even on my main account on the super slow computer the lag is fine and I almost never experience what the original poster is talking about. I think I have experienced one lag party wipe in the last 2 months and that is mostly being in R10 the whole time.

Threads like this mostly just exist to make people that didn't transfer feel like they did the right thing by staying put. The minor increase in lag on Orien is a small price for the vastly more active LFM's.

Can someone give us the truth about the lag on Orien. So much biased talk out of two sides on this very contentious issue.

Community Member

I think the biggest lag contributors are probably latency/packet loss and VRAM with RAM in the mix.

Pings under 100MS with no packet loss likely have very little lag. If you have 4GB of VRAM and 8GB of RAM the package is pretty close to complete for effective play. It is probably a good idea to have a utility that clears RAM for gaming every time you launch DDO. I have one of these from the PC manufacturer and I see a large amount of RAM cleared every time I launch the game. If you don't want to run one of these it probably makes sense to close unnecessary background apps before you launch DDO. There are definitely minor memory leaks in the 32 bit client and I suspect in the 64 bit client as well although the memory allocated to the DDO app appears to be more stable over time in the 64 bit client.

However I think having one person with a crappy connection can blow everybody else in the party up. We've all seen the parties hitching and stuttering and then somebody DC's and suddenly everything is ok again. I think certain effects are constantly communicated to everybody in range, like Bard and Pally auras, and those effects can cause a lot of problems if the connection of the character providing them is weak. This is one reason that I think any attempt to share Reaper points is doomed to a lukewarm reception.

Basically a good internet connection with no throttling by the ISP + reasonable proximity to the servers + a fairly modern PC should give solid results.

Can someone give us the truth about the lag on Orien. So much biased talk out of two sides on this very contentious issue.
    It was laggy the other day, so I logged into my old server, and it was laggy too. Orien did seem extra laggy last night, but I didn’t bother checking my old server.

You have any alts on another server? Just log on both of them, and see if they feel the same.

If the OP is referring to crippling minute or longer lag spikes they are, at the very least, also occurring on Thelanis.

rarely, but they are happening

The truth is that lag on any server is inconsistent and usually intermittent. Two players can report very different experiences and both be telling the truth.
    Ghallanda: Tervail (solo player)

Community Member

While lag is being tossed around my gripe and theres no doubt its happening is as a dh my arrows id say 10 % of the time just flys off into nowhere its super frustrating and needs to be addressed

Community Member

The ranged weapons are definitely a problem on every server. It's been years though since I could fire a repeater and get hits on the first volley reliably. There's some kind of sync issue and I think it began when they nerfed IPS.

Just did a run through Orein with a new character. It was a stutterfest. Nothing crippling just annoying.

Definitely wouldn't be a great first impression for a new player if O was still the default.

Since we are talking specs. 8gb vram 16gb ram. 8 core amd cpu. 570 mobo and gen 4 m.2 SSD. I know it's time for a upgrade.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malveaux View Post
    Just did a run through Orein with a new character. It was a stutterfest. Nothing crippling just annoying.

Definitely wouldn't be a great first impression for a new player if O was still the default.

Since we are talking specs. 8gb vram 16gb ram. 8 core amd cpu. 570 mobo and gen 4 m.2 SSD. I know it's time for a upgrade.
    What is your ping in the network monitor?

What is your ping in the network monitor?
    That I didn't look at. All I can tell you is I am on the west coast of the USA with the fast cable internet. I will be on G playing shortly. I will report back if the conditions are the same and what my ping is.

Community Member Luthor_Darkhammer's Avatar

Basically a good internet connection with no throttling by the ISP + reasonable proximity to the servers + a fairly modern PC should give solid results.
    AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI PRO X670-P WiFi ProSeries Motherboard
    32gigs of Corsair DDR5 6000 spd
    MSI GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC

png 41ms dls 753.71 uls 71.19

New enough since it all recently came out. Good internet. Now I can give my unbiased opinion. For the most part Lag to me hasn't been to atrocious when soloing and even in some groups. Yesterday was a different story. Mostly in Sharn public area was a stutter fest. Even in LVod R1, LTS R10, lag got pretty bad. It's not just people complaining or defending here on the forums. I would be willing to bet there are more players not on the forums than there is. So on here you get a small echo chamber of complaints and defenders. Yes, people from G-land said lag was bad here, but not as bad as it was there. But then I hear from others saying it's worse. I have watched some live stream lagfests where it was constant, but my only sever experience was in Immortality lessons where during the end fight we lagged out for over 20 minutes where I spent the majority of that time looking down from the sky. It was impossible to complete. Small lag over and over is what people are getting upset about I think. It would be one thing if it was the occasional spike, but when it's constant throughout the quests it can get rather annoying.

This is just my 2 cents on the matter. Take it with a grain of salt because I can't speak for everyone nor will I belittle or insult them like some child either from their experiences.

Community Member

I am in the middle to doing 100 favors runs on opener accounts to get points for Sharn. I decided to try Orion just to see. The lag is much worse than on my home server for sure. I saw it most clearly doing tile puzzles in KI, it was really annoying. Not going to be trying that server for any more favor runs.

And no, before anyone asks any annoying questions about whether this could possibly be on my end rather than an SSG problem, I didn't rip my internet infrastructure out of the wall and replace it with something much worse than what I normally use or lock my wifi router in a lead vault. Believe me about the server lag or not, as you will.

In other news, from the code to what seems like a blockbuster D&D movie, I forsee Ghallanda being 2nd most populated in a few months.
    Yeah I don’t see the movie bringing too many players to the game unless SSG starts doing some advertising

Be patient and after the transfer period the lag will improve or disappear altogether.
    Here is your truth oh fountain of knowledge!

And casters are still everything that is wrong with this game!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast