Community Member

Default dark hinter issues?

dark hunter has been designed around medium armour instead of the usual light armoured rangers
    but due to dark hunters supporting trees being dex based light armoured 2 weapon fighting tempest and dex based light armoured ranged deepwood stalker which both have bonus ac, +max dex/dodge and +dodge enchantments to light armour in trees is there any reason to use medium armour?
    maybe coat of the traveler since its very very powerful at its level (and even way higher named armour cant compete with it) would be the only reason but even that will get outclassed with light + some expenditure in the tempest/deepwood trees

-1 to armour check penalty per core is absolutely needed if going to be a trapper and aligns it with light armour for skill check purposes and the +10% to ac in medium is nice but is there enough support for medium armour? does it need more to make it viable vs light?
    couple of tempest tree things were updated to include medium for dark hunters but should dark hunter tree itself have more support for medium?

im trying to use medium armour for rp reasons but finding light is just so much better or am i completely wrong here?
    as a solo player having a full base attack melee with great ranged ability with trapping and a pet im really enjoying but just confused whether i should be using medium or light?

whats the point of the tier 3 +1/2/3 to use magic device? its not even a class skill?

also with the "class loot" option turned on for end rewards (yeah i know they suck anyway and continually give your falchion wielding fighter light crossbows, handwraps and spell powered staves as rewards sigh) dark hunter uses the ranger list and therefor you never ever even get offered a single piece of medium armour as reward. well my DH is now lvl 13.2 and hasnt been offered a single piece
    which is another reason to avoid medium cause just due to the many light armours you will be offered as a reward over the DHs career there will just be a much greater chance that you will have better quality light armours than medium

the wolf why is it so determined to jump into lava? i know hirelings at the very best can be described as a little bit of a thickie but **** that wolf is above and beyond. theres been many times my character and hireling have looked at each other and the hireling has said "even im not that stupid......." as the wolf bounds off and disappears under lava to die, and it does that every. single. time.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copecetic View Post
    is there any reason to use medium armour?
    Uncapped MRR plus a bit more PRR to offset not having Evasion. They also changed Dervish (Tempest capstone) and Elaborate Parry to work with medium armor, so I think Improved Dodge+Mobility are the only things in Tempest tree which require light (or no) armor equipped. I don't think they changed DWS's Survivalist so that still requires light armor. Also you can't take Evasive Dance without Evasion.
    whats the point of the tier 3 +1/2/3 to use magic device? its not even a class skill?
    This was pointed out repeatedly on Lamannia but it never went away. There are other instances of trees giving bonuses to non-class skills (e.g., Fire Savant's +6 to Haggle and Intimidate) but it's rare.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Dark Hunter is a complete mess.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Dark_Hunter_enhancements
    Underdark Armor: While wearing Medium Armor, you gain a +10% Exceptional bonus to Armor Class and take 50% less damage from Traps.

Staggering
    Pale Fox

Any reason why I can't equip armor on my dark wolf?

Probably because it comes from an enhancement like the pale master skeleton, rather than as a class feature like the druid/artificer pets.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LightBear View Post
    Any reason why I can't equip armor on my dark wolf?
    It appears Dark Hunter wolves can only equip non-metal light and medium armors. Functionally it seems to be just a palette-swapped version of the druid pet.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    It appears Dark Hunter wolves can only equip non-metal light and medium armors. Functionally it seems to be just a palette-swapped version of the druid pet.
    Wait. Regular armor?! My pet has been unarmored but w/ collar since forever...

Recommendations what for a pet armor?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Which means they just copied the druid wolf pet which has the same druid oath restrictions as a druid. The DH wolf should have the same restrictions as the DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post

Here is a link to Druid allowable armor. I would think these would work for both druid and dark hunter wolves.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Druid_equipment/Armor

(Except for the docents of course)
    If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post

Kindred Sprit from Ravenloft is really good. Using it on my DH wolf now:

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Kindred_Spirit

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wahnsinnig View Post
    Dark Hunter is a complete mess.
    In what way? I am planning on using DH in the next Hardcore season, my testing with it, running elite at +2, has been going great.

Staggering
    Pale Fox

Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post

So far that was the only armor that I could slot without getting error messages.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by yfernbottom View Post

I had 2 of these! Thank you for the reminder! Slotted right up.