Thread: Ran a DH to 20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Default Ran a DH to 20

OK, so my main is on the new archetypes, and so the time had come to run Dark Hunter. I'd just done a tempest ranger life on my alt, so I thought I'd try to use the new enhancement tree instead, to check it out. We (three guildies) ran mostly on r4, and sometimes even down to r2 because we're slackers.

OK, what kind of build did I use? Dex based tabaxi (to get evasion), with a tiny bit of int to get my trap skills up a little. Used scimitars (had the old vorpal ones from Crystal Cove still).

Base class
    The sneak attack dice are nice.
    The limited FEs are annoying, but can be somewhat worked around with universal trees.
    The curative admixtures are both good and bad - you get AOE healing, and with a better version in level 4 spells. On the down side, they're slooooow to cast (quicken doesn't work on them), and had the usual targeting issues that annoy me.
    Having trap skills is awesome.

DH enhancements tree
    Wolf: As always, companions are mostly useless to me. I took all upgrades in the tree for it, and have all the old PLs, but it still dies quickly and does little damage. Having a lever puller is always a good thing, though.
    Sneak attack training: More SA dice is great, I love it.
    Bleed the weak: Combined with the upgrade from the wolf line, it can do a bit of damage - but bleeding is a highly resisted damage type, so it's not uber.
    Stone's Hue: More PRR isn't bad, and it only costs 1 AP.
    Death Attack: I tried this. I really did. When it works, it's great. I love assassinate, I've played rogue assassin several times, and I love it. But the limitation on which targets it can instakill is very annoying to me. The bleed damage is neglible, so that does nothing. And the debuff is pointless in heroics. I really, really loathe this ability. You sneak, get close, and then.... disappointment strikes. Now, if it did something like a paralyze on other targets, then it would still be worth something. And still be different from rogue assassinate. As it is, I got so annoyed at level 18 that I respecced to tempest t5 for the last 600k xp.

Conclusion
    All in all, it's OK. I'd probably not use the enhancement tree again, but it can be decent with a normal tempest version- The SA is good and works on everything. Sure, you lose some of the more decent FE picks, but it is not a dealbreaker to me. And trap skills are always great to have.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Did you get a chance to test Opportune Moment at all? I feel like it's a hidden gem, but haven't had a chance to level my DH to 12+ yet.

If you don't need prr/mrr debuff, then don't bother sneaking on monsters you can't assassinate.
    If you can't tell which monsters you can/can't assassinate, you aren't roleplaying Dark Hunter properly.

Was wolf helpful in finding traps, or Watchful Eye is better, and wolf is best left to pull levers only?

My biggest disappointment is that crit T5 only gives +1 threat range. AFAIR at Llama it was double threat range (triple with IC) for piercing.
    Last edited by magaiti; 03-13-2023 at 04:47 AM.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Aerendil View Post
    Did you get a chance to test Opportune Moment at all? I feel like it's a hidden gem, but haven't had a chance to level my DH to 12+ yet.
    It is decent, but like tumbling on an acrobat and the like, it gets annoying to use real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by magaiti View Post
    If you don't need prr/mrr debuff, then don't bother sneaking on monsters you can't assassinate.
    If you can't tell which monsters you can/can't assassinate, you aren't roleplaying Dark Hunter properly.
    The problem is that, for me anyway, the hassle of keeping track of which monsters are which type becomes so annoying that I'd rather not bother with it at all. I don't think it's a good idea if a signature ability of a class is solely devoted to what you call roleplayers. It should have some general use as well, which is why I suggested a small buff to it.

Was wolf helpful in finding traps, or Watchful Eye is better, and wolf is best left to pull levers only?
    No, it didn't help me. It was anearly always dead when I got to a trap. If it is supposed to stay alive without a LOT of micromanagement, it needs a large buff to defenses.
    Healing it myself with the very slow curatives is not really possible in combat, and it rarely survived even medium sized fights.
    I much prefer the self-based autodetects.

My biggest disappointment is that crit T5 only gives +1 threat range. AFAIR at Llama it was double threat range (triple with IC) for piercing.
    I suppose they thought it was too much. Which it possibly was, to be fair. They did make it multiselect to either range or multi, so you could still pair the tree with tempest.
    Still, rangers having to go deep in two trees just for the +1/+1 that everyone else gets in one tree feels outdated.
    DDO: If a problem cannot be solved by the application of DPS, you're not applying enough.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Conclusion
    All in all, it's OK. I'd probably not use the enhancement tree again, but it can be decent with a normal tempest version
    That was pretty much the consensus on Lamannia and how I'm playing my pure Dark Hunter. None of my complaints were addressed on live, but it does what I expect it to do: be a trapper with Tempest capstone and extra sneak attacks.
    It was a +2 critical multiplier with Imp Crit Piercing feat, which carried over to non-piercing weapons. Which might have opened up some novel build alternatives to Frenzied Berserker, the only other tree with +2 crit multiplier. But then it got turned into "+1 crit range or multiplier" which is less interesting IMO.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    but it does what I expect it to do: be a trapper with Tempest capstone and extra sneak attacks.
    That's better than Acolyte of the Skin, which is most effective as a standard Fiend-pact blaster with zero points put into the new tree.

7. 03-14-2023, 10:33 PM