Question DDO Fresh Install from Steam Instructions (Suggest Making Sticky Thread)

On a fresh typical Windows gaming laptop with a fresh install of Windows 10 and a fresh install of Steam, a fresh install of DDO from Steam will not run. Attempting to run via Steam (which just launches the ddolauncher.exe) results in an apparent attempt to run that is aborted before the user interface draws.

This is not a new issue, nor an intermittent one. It's just that the install is misconfigured or incomplete (as it has been for about a decade). So the user must manually install the Visual C++ redistributables and/or DirectX9, etc. The thing is, this only comes up every 2-3 years for me, so I forget. And then I have to go digging around the internet piecing together info until I sort it out. Can we maybe do better, by getting instructions into a post here and making it sticky?

I'll try to help by posting here if I am the first person to gather the info. But I'm not having as much luck as I remember having last time... Microsoft seems to have moved or removed files. I haven't been using DX9 and I'd rather not install it if it isn't actually necessary.

Can someone (hint-hint SSG) who knows what is required write the short list of steps necessary to get DDO running... The steps to get form a clean Windows 10 install to working login?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Sarlona - Nyr Dyv Raiders
    Bloodbath, Smasher · Sonnkral, Finisher · Sentient, Caster

Quote Originally Posted by HumanJHawkins View Post
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...=1#post6494008

That's a brief collection of what I've gathered.

Never install from Steam.

I always download the client from the DDO.com website. Here's a link to where you need to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.