Default Druid conjuring wapons and flying

I really like druid idea of casting their own weapons, so I have a few suggestions

First of, at early levels (even lvl 1) all druids, either normal druid or blightcaster, should be able to conjure a wooden quarterstaff to beat up opponents. Any self respecting druid has control over the plants to do that, plus its the most iconic weapon for a druid to have (and the only two handed he gets to master without extra feats).
    It doesn't need to have especially powerful enchantments at druids normal form, maybe give it spinters doing some small passive damage to opponent after getting hit or making it an implement. But since its our druids favourite weapon (cause that how I like him ) it will change form if druid is using fire or water elemental (do fire damage or ice damage) and like thornblade schimitar (poison/acid damage) while thorn or hive forms. As for animal forms, not sure, add a doublestrike and strikethrough chance or something. Obviously the quarterstaff gets improved as the caster grows, like schimitars do.

Second is thorn knight. The cool word for me here is Knight, so my suggestion is that our druid, while he is in that form (and only in that form, not even thorn kin), should be able to conjure not only a schimitar or 2 schimitars but also a schimitar and a shield. The shield should be wooden and maybe have some acidy/poisonous spikes on it to do some acid/poion damage with shield bash or any other shield attacks. Maybe giving him shield bashing too, but thats not necessary, if one wants to use thorn knight with shield they would already make sure to get the appropriate feats.

Third is hive master. Since in that form our druid is half normal, half a swarm he should get passivly the effects of feather fall and extra boost on jumping, you know to make him fly a bit. Or give him an action boost similar to the memory of flight (with differet name)

P.S.: I think thornblade is a bit too bright green, sure i get its because its acid and poison, but its a wooden weapon, just tone it down or make it woody with bright green edge.

Community Member

I have strong issues with your first point.
    First level characters don't necessarily have access to everything iconic about the class, and it's perfectly normal.

"First of, at early levels (even lvl 1) all *sorcerers* should be able to conjure *an explosive ball of firey doom* to beat up opponents. Any self respecting *sorcerer* has control over *fire* to do that, plus *Fireball is* the most iconic *spell* for a *sorcerer* to have"
    Having the ability to outright control plant growth is an iconic druid ability, just not a first level druid ability. Just like making rooms explode with fire is an iconic Sorcerer ability.

The spell you're looking for is Shillelagh. It's a first level druid spell that allows its user to make one staff a lot deadlier than it has any right to be.
    First level spells are either very temporary bursts of energy (like Produce Flame), or modifications of existing things so they do what you want them to (Entangle, Shillelagh, Longstrider).
    Enthusiasm enthusiast enthusiast.

I know about shillelagh spell, just yesterday i searched about it a lot and made a post on druid forum. What you say makes a lot of sense and has a good exapmle, leading me to assume that you would completely agree with the quarterstaff if it was on lvl 3, right? (Although there is flaming bolt for sorcerer on lvl1, but isn't as iconic as fireball.)
    But keep in mind that druid also in lvl 1 has entangle which sounds way more difficult to cast than a hitting stick.

So overall you are right, it may be way too op for the first 2 levels.

What about the rest of the quarterstaff idea and the other two ideas, you agree, got ways to improve them?

Any constractive critisism comments are welcome.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jodro View Post
    I know about shillelagh spell, just yesterday i searched about it a lot and made a post on druid forum. What you say makes a lot of sense and has a good exapmle, leading me to assume that you would completely agree with the quarterstaff if it was on lvl 3, right? (Although there is flaming bolt for sorcerer on lvl1, but isn't as iconic as fireball.)
    But keep in mind that druid also in lvl 1 has entangle which sounds way more difficult to cast than a hitting stick.

So overall you are right, it may be way too op for the first 2 levels.

What about the rest of the quarterstaff idea and the other two ideas, you agree, got ways to improve them?

Any constractive critisism comments are welcome.
    Frankly, I'd start by outright removing the dual blade option from Thorn Blade, and add a Staff option.
    Heck, I'd replace Thorn Blade with Prickly Stick, and give it a club/staff option, to REALLY differentiate it and Flame Blade.

About Entangle, remember that it affects existing plants, it just forces them to grow out of control. The LACK of control is the theme with Entangle. Creating simple wooden objects (like a staff) using existing wood is the purview of Wood Shape, which also happens to be a 2nd level spell in pen and paper. The need for control is what makes it harder to cast. Even then, it would result in a perfectly nonmagical staff.

I wouldn't give it a shield option because the goal is to make it different, but similar in power to Flame Blade.
    Flame Blade has two options - one hand with a weapon, or two hands with weapons. The new spell would have two. One hand with a club, or both hands occupied by a quarterstaff.
    I wouldn't give a shield automatically to the first mode, because some people might want the club but prefer their own shield or orb.
    I wouldn't give it another mode because then it'd be a clearly more powerful spell (3 modes instead of 2).
    Enthusiasm enthusiast enthusiast.