Default Thornblade and Shillelagh spell

For blightcaster, does Shillelagh work on Thornblades and if so how it works? Whats the damage output?
    Besides that does shillelagh spell has any important use on higher levels? Aren't the weapon enchantments way more important?

And just a suggestion for future updates. If shilleagh spell works on thornblade I would personally prefer being able to magically create a Quarterstaff too.

EDIT: It says thornblade gets improved every 5 caster levels, improved how? Whats the old and new damage?
    Last edited by Jodro; 02-25-2023 at 12:07 AM.

I made a Blightcaster and tested it out, shillelagh indeed WORKS on thornblade schimitars (at least on level 4 before the whatever improve they will get).

So the questions remaining are what exactly is the improvement every 5 levels and given that information, is it bareable for someone to use as main weapon those schimitars instead of using normal enchanted ones?

And my suggestion for creating a wooden quarterstaff still stands especially now. Also another suggestion would be for thorn knight to get extra spell to create a schimitar and a shield with similar properties, fits the knight concept greatly. So if there is a thread to submit ideas I would apprecieate for somene to point it at me.

Thanks in advance for every answer you can give me

EDIT: Shillelagh works on quarterstaff with spellcasting Implement +3, Devotion +36, +2 Enchantment Bonus and Conjuration Focus +1, but not on quarterstaff with +2 Enchantment Bonus, speed +15% and Doublestrike +1%. Why is that happening, am i missing something?
    Last edited by Jodro; 02-25-2023 at 06:13 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jodro View Post

EDIT: Shillelagh works on quarterstaff with spellcasting Implement +3, Devotion +36, +2 Enchantment Bonus and Conjuration Focus +1, but not on quarterstaff with +2 Enchantment Bonus, speed +15% and Doublestrike +1%. Why is that happening, am i missing something?
    Is the second quarterstaff made of anything other than wood? Material matters, has to be wood, and wood only.

Aren't all quarterstaves made of wood? Then its probably my fault.

But why shillegah works on it in the first place? The restrictions are No other material than wood and no weapon enchantments, this is obviously heavily enchanted.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Aren't all quarterstaves made of wood? Then its probably my fault.

But why shillegah works on it in the first place? The restrictions are No other material than wood and no weapon enchantments, this is obviously heavily enchanted.
    There are some quarterstaves made of other materials, they are a bit on the rare side though.

No other enchantment refers to no other temporary spell that enchants the item (like deadly from artificer, or Imbue with Shadow from feydark illusionist)

Then its something usually druids do not do.

So without completelly understanding how exactly 1d6, 2d4 ect work, with a quarterstaff, shillegah spell and third core from season heralds you get attack 1d6+1d6+1d6 and thornblade schimitars get 1d6+1d3+1d3 (on each habd if you twf). Is that a good value?

Isn't that way better than all the other melee weapons? (Assuming it doesn't exist a wood great sword or something, do they?)

Community Member

Aren't all quarterstaves made of wood?
    Quite a few are not. There's at least Steel, Silver, Platinum, Adamantine, Crystal, Bone that I know of for named items. Even a random generated q-staff can be non-Wood (rarely).

Community Member

For blightcaster, does Shillelagh work on Thornblades and if so how it works? Whats the damage output?
    Besides that does shillelagh spell has any important use on higher levels? Aren't the weapon enchantments way more important?
    EDIT: It says thornblade gets improved every 5 caster levels, improved how? Whats the old and new damage?
    Thornblade follows the same template as Flameblade. But where Flameblade gets fire and Blinding, Thornblade gets acid/poison and Curse.

As for Shillelagh, as of U58 it adds +1[W], so 1d6 becomes 2d6, 1.5[1d6]+4 should become 2.5[1d6]+4 all the way up to 5[1d6+2] becoming 6[1d6+2] at level30+.

And just a suggestion for future updates. If shilleagh spell works on thornblade I would personally prefer being able to magically create a Quarterstaff too.
    One of the devs said that a summoned Quarterstaff was under consideration, but they never released it. Disappointing - I would have loved to see one too as it would have made an interesting option for a Monk or TA/Blightcaster build, e.g., on HC or for new players.
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBastardSon View Post
    As for Shillelagh, as of U58 it adds +1[W], so 1d6 becomes 2d6, 1.5[1d6]+4 should become 2.5[1d6]+4 all the way up to 5[1d6+2] becoming 6[1d6+2] at level30+.
    Never going to fully understand how those numbers work

Quote Originally Posted by SocratesBastardSon View Post
    One of the devs said that a summoned Quarterstaff was under consideration, but they never released it. Disappointing - I would have loved to see one too as it would have made an interesting option for a Monk or TA/Blightcaster build, e.g., on HC or for new players.
    I see, just earlier today I made a suggestion about it, in suggestions and ideas forum, didn't know it was already under consideration. Hope they'll do it.