Question Returning after long hiatus. Would love some adviceha

I have multiple 20+ characters w several incarnations from 8-10 years ago. I would love any hints on the best new content and a build recommendation for the current system for some of these characters. Playing on Thelanis. Also it seems my guild isn't very active so I made need to switch.

Thanks, I look forward to playing again.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by G-MAN View Post
    I have multiple 20+ characters w several incarnations from 8-10 years ago. I would love any hints on the best new content and a build recommendation for the current system for some of these characters. Playing on Thelanis. Also it seems my guild isn't very active so I made need to switch.

Thanks, I look forward to playing again.
    Hard to give a good answer without more specifics. Depends a lot on what style you're looking to play (caster, melee, support, what classes, etc. etc.), what difficulties you're shooting for, if solo or grouping, and if you're primarily looking to shoot for playing at endgame and raiding or if you're going to plan on reincarnating mainly and not spending much time at cap. These all very much change what builds and content people would recommend.

Community Member

I'm also returning to the game for the first time since about 2012. (The new movie inspired me to reinstall!) I really only had one character, and he was level 8 paladin. I'm planning on starting over so I can re-learn everything, etc. I just have a few questions:

1. I plan on soloing most of the time, as a "VIP" (subscription) player. What are considered the best solo-friendly/new-player-friendly classes? I'm primarily interested in melee or casters (not so much ranged, non-casters) ...is Paladin still likely the best choice for me? Something like https://www.mmorpgtips.com/ddo-paladin-vanguard-build?
    2. Can someone suggest a good guild for me? I guess I'm wanting something for casual, but serious players. (I didn't play DDO that much before, but I have extensive experience on many other MMOs.) I'm not looking for handouts or being carried or anything like that ...I mainly just want folks to chat with while I'm in-game and perhaps play with on occasion, etc.
    3. Is there a webpage or resource that lists the most important things to consider buying in the DDO store?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Saerec; 04-03-2023 at 02:43 AM.

Community Member

Axel,

I just watched a couple of your videos and bookmarked several -- thanks for the content!! (I'd be very curious to hear your answers to my questions for sure!)

Then, two more questions for you or anyone else who reads this:
    1. If you lost all your accounts and had to start over from scratch tomorrow (but retained all your knowledge), what would be your 1st life race/class?
    2. Do you see any red flags or concerns with either of these builds? I'm struggling to decide on a class for my first life...these two resonate somewhat: Tiefling Warlock and 18 Paladin/2 Rogue

Thanks!
    Last edited by Saerec; 04-03-2023 at 02:43 AM.

Tiefling Warlock will work just fine.

I'm not sure about Rogue2/Paladin18, I know a rogue/pally split can work with Inquisitive because the main tree is Universal but without tomes, gear, or past lives I would think pulling off rogue skills with just 2 levels on a paladin would be tough. Paladin doesn't get a lot of skill points per level maybe a drow paladin so could have high Int and Cha?

If I lost my account and had to farm gear from scratch I would start with a rogue2/18 Fey Warlock tiefling or gnome. Rogue skills, evasion, good ref saves, decent CC, okay buffs if you plan right. Probably go with gnome that first life to have better rogue skills with higher starting Int. Could do drow here too but gnome has far better racial tree, especially if you don't have access to Feydark Illusionist.

Thelanis has mostly casual guilds. I can only think of a handful of the more serious raiding guilds, and even most of them are willing to open raid runs to PuGs and anyone that wants to run. Thelanis is pretty chill.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Saerec View Post
    Axel,

I just watched a couple of your videos and bookmarked several -- thanks for the content!! (I'd be very curious to hear your answers to my questions for sure!)

Then, two more questions for you or anyone else who reads this:
    1. If you lost all your accounts and had to start over from scratch tomorrow (but retained all your knowledge), what would be your 1st life race/class?
    2. Do you see any red flags or concerns with either of these builds? I'm struggling to decide on a class for my first life...these two resonate somewhat: Tiefling Warlock and 18 Paladin/2 Rogue

Thanks!
    - Melee cleric since it's my favorite build
    - Either build should be fine I'd think. THF Pally is a great choice, I have never run one that splashes rogue but will be nice to be able to get traps. I've only played Warlock once so can't give much feedback on that one but that's a Strimtom build and he knows what he's doing so should be fine. Only thing I'll recommend is I would encourage you to pick a build with some kind of area of effect damage so you can hit multiple enemies at once. So either a caster or THF melee. THF or Walock would both have this. I personally have found builds with single target only slower and not as enjoyable to level.
    Last edited by axel15810; 04-03-2023 at 09:28 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    If I lost my account and had to farm gear from scratch I would start with a rogue2/18 Fey Warlock tiefling or gnome. Rogue skills, evasion, good ref saves, decent CC, okay buffs if you plan right. Probably go with gnome that first life to have better rogue skills with higher starting Int. Could do drow here too but gnome has far better racial tree, especially if you don't have access to Feydark Illusionist.
    Do you have a link to a build like what you described here? Thanks!

Do you have a link to a build like what you described here? Thanks!

No, sorry, I don't really use forum builds nor the programs they use to output one to the forums. There is the request a build thread... https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...ld-Get-a-Build maybe its already in there or maybe you could post to ask there? I'm sure someone has posted something like it to the forums, maybe in the Warlock category? I could hand type what I would do if you can't find anything but I'm sure for a first lifer someone has had similar thoughts. Heck, I think the guy that helped me get through HC6 was in such a build. I'll send him a message and see if he has a link for you.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    - Melee cleric since it's my favorite build
    Do you have a link to a guide for this? I was talking to folks on Discord last night and the only thing they agreed on was that clerics don't melee ...lol.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

Do you have a link to a guide for this?
    Yes.

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...e-Cleric-Build

I was talking to folks on Discord last night and the only thing they agreed on was that clerics don't melee ...lol.
    Cleric can melee just fine. I even play mine in high reaper at endgame and it does fine with good gear and some reaper points. Not a top tier build (nor is any melee honestly) but is certainly very viable. But you need Falconry as Warpriest is bad as a main tree.