Community Member

Default Dark Ranger, Just a Rogue with a wolf

I am very disappointed that this is basically just a rogue with a wolf. Here I was saving all these BOWS with assassinate on them for absolutely no reason. Because hey, why would anyone think a ranger with assassinate would be using only melee. I sincerely wish they would allow melee/ranged on this instead of melee only. Because why not just roll a friggin rogue.....
    And yes I realize there's Falconry, but why oh why only cater to one build?
    Last edited by Damien_Vampyre; 02-22-2023 at 12:54 PM.

I am for ranged assassinate on them so I agree.

I think these guys would be good with kukris or even scimitars, something I suggested for the TA rogue tree.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member

It's a trash fire.

Community Member

Damien_Vampyre
    Dark Ranger, Just a Rogue with a wolf

I am very disappointed that this is basically just a rogue with a wolf. Here I was saving all these BOWS with assassinate on them for absolutely no reason. Because hey, why would anyone think a ranger with assassinate would be using only melee. I sincerely wish they would allow melee/ranged on this instead of melee only. Because why not just roll a friggin rogue.....
    And yes I realize there's Falconry, but why oh why only cater to one build?
    Look, someone else who doesn't bother to do any research before complaining.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    I am for ranged assassinate on them so I agree.

Repeater crit multiplier + gnome racial crit range ... quad repeater shot assassinate ... IPS. ... quad aimed/sniper/pluck.

Dark hunter base is a solid platform. You get a trapping platform for non-evasion builds, which gets some bonus ranger feats and BaB instead of evasion from rogue. If you weren't planning on using evasion anyways, that's pure win. I think DH crossbow is an important replacement to DG EK and SDK zombie builds that were removed from viability with %HP pass, especially because it is free (6 ranger 13 arti 1 wiz) and new player friendly (+25% HP and ranged).

Plus if you keep your DH pet on passive next to you, auto=diplomacy and active diplomacy use will hit it, stacking observation from Inquisitive. So even just a passive pet is useful. Worst case scenario, there is always inquisitive:

Beautiful on the Inside (Dark Hunter variant)

Starting Stats:
    High Charisma, Dex 13 (assumes +6 dex tome), solid Int for trapping

Feats and levels:
    1 Fighter Precision, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Reload
    2-8 Dark Apostate Quicken, Extend, Luck Domain
    9-12 Dark Hunter Rapid Shot (DH), Precise Shot (DH), Empower, Empower Healing
    13-15 Fighter IPS (Fighter),IC:R (Fighter), Force of Personality
    16-20 Dark Hunter Maximize
    21 Overwhelming Critical
    22 Spell Power
    24 Intensify
    25 Doubleshot
    27 Epic Reflexes
    28 Law/Chaos matching alignment, or arcane warrior/spell power/deific warding
    30 Reincarnate

Enhancements:
    1 (+16 Racial/Tome) Purple Dragon Knight: HAMP, CHR power Surge,
    13 Stalwart Defender: PRR/MRR/Saves/% HP (delay)
    6 Warpriest: Divine Might, + Imbue die
    40 (+1 Tome) Inquisitive: Divine inquisition and stuffs (delay some)
    8 Kensai: +3 action boosts+2 cores (delay)
    9 FI Charisma to hit and dmg, missile immunity (10 prr/mrr with spells)
    3 Dark Apostate: imbue

Epic Destinies:
    US: Renewal 20-22 swap to Draconic +3 Imbue die/no fail fort at 23
    Legendary Dreadnaught: Imbue Dice, action boosts, haste on action boost usage
    Primal Avatar: Mantle, Thorns and Carrion Swarm Strike, Heart secondary focus: Reborn in Fire + mantle +3 imbue die at 23

Sentience:
    Art:
    10 Ranged Power
    Wep:
    10 Ranged Power
    Snow Peaks Imbue 1 +1 Imbue
    Reverberation 2 +2 Imbue (+2 Cha, +10 USP)
    Long Shadow 3 +2 Imbue (RP, Cha, +1 Hit/Dmg)
    Electrocution 3 +2 Imbue (prr/mrr/stuffs)

Gear of Note:
    Epic Bramble Caster gloves + Epic Ring of Baphomet set ring
    Flamecleansed Fury plate/bracers/Cloak set
    Storm with Diplomacy Augment, endless night
    Epic VOM
    Sunken Slippers
    Epic Elder's Knowledge neck + helm
    Belt of Whirling Blades
    Shield Clicky
    Epic Quiver of Alacrity
    Cannith ring positive/fire spell power, charisma, ins. charisma, festive charisma, exceptional charisma (lvl 20/23+)
    Cannith goggles for seeker+deadly+ins. seeker
    Augment hero/acc/con/quick draw/deathblock/stats/saves/etc.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-26-2023 at 02:31 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    Look, someone else who doesn't bother to do any research before complaining.
    Show me in their skill tree where they are not JUST like an Assassin Rogue just with a wolf. I must be blind here....

7. 02-23-2023, 08:45 AM

Community Member

Damien_Vampyre

Show me in their skill tree where they are not JUST like an Assassin Rogue just with a wolf. I must be blind here....
    Indeed you are blind here or you would see that Tilomere has decided to work with what's available and it looks decent to me what he's come up with, you on the other hand are just complaining to complain.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Damien_Vampyre View Post
    Use Tabaxi racial ap for evasion, light weapon/sneak die bonuses, and fast movement.

Make a pure 20 tempest trapmonkey not requiring rogue levels, able to get capstone, with bonus sneak die, that is in all ways simply superior to a regular tempest.

Or just the repeater version with DH and gnome of the above inquisitor build.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-23-2023 at 09:33 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    Indeed you are blind here or you would see that Tilomere has decided to work with what's available and it looks decent to me what he's come up with, you on the other hand are just complaining to complain.
    Wow... you can mix anything with any other class to make it viable. FFS my point of this is why make a "special" class (ie Dark Hunter) if it's just going to be pretty much a knock-off of a class already in game. Geez man, you must be the blind one or have no train of thought. I didn't say anywhere anything about multiclassing or blah blah. I'm talking about the straight up DH skill tree, nothing else, no additives. Which is why I said it looks just like an assassin with a wolf. Man, what is ppl's problems with reading, it's hard I know. (As in where is the ranged assassinate) And as for the above multiclass... I have no idea why you wouldn't just splash Arti instead and take Harper Int to hit and dmg, makes more sense if you do a multiclass trapper.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    . . . that is in all ways simply superior to a regular tempest.
    I'm not convinced of that. FE damage, and being able to chose good FEs, is worth a lot.

As is not looking like you tawt you taw a puddy tat.

Community Member

Repeater crit multiplier + gnome racial crit range ... quad repeater shot assassinate ... IPS. ... quad aimed/sniper/pluck.

Beautiful on the Inside (Dark Hunter variant)

Starting Stats:
    High Charisma, Dex 13 (assumes +6 dex tome), solid Int for trapping

Feats and levels:
    1 Fighter Precision, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Reload
    2-8 Dark Apostate Quicken, Extend, Luck Domain
    9-12 Dark Hunter Rapid Shot (DH), Precise Shot (DH), Empower, Empower Healing
    13-15 Fighter IPS (Fighter),IC:R (Fighter), Force of Personality
    16-20 Dark Hunter Maximize
    21 Overwhelming Critical
    22 Spell Power
    24 Intensify
    25 Doubleshot
    27 Epic Reflexes
    28 Spell Power
    30 Reincarnate

Enhancements:
    1 (+16 Racial/Tome) Purple Dragon Knight: HAMP, CHR power Surge,
    13 Stalwart Defender: PRR/MRR/Saves/% HP (delay)
    6 Warpriest: Divine Might, + Imbue die
    40 (+1 Tome) Inquisitive: Divine inquisition and stuffs (delay some)
    8 Kensai: +3 action boosts+2 cores (delay)
    9 FI Charisma to hit and dmg, missile immunity (10 prr/mrr with spells)
    3 Dark Apostate: imbue
    Help me understand this. I LOVE my dark apostate, and I really want to do dark hunter, but I am perplexed as this seems all over the place. Can you explain whats going on here? Like, why charisma instead of wisdom, since DA and DH are both wis based casters? Just taking imbue from DA, but no dice? War priest for 1 die and trance? Are these just to boost the dice in inquisitive, and which imbue toggle do you use?

Can this be done with a human? or does it have to be pdk. I have no racial tomes or past lives...

Thanks!

its a level 20 ranger with rogue skills and a wolf.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    Help me understand this. I LOVE my dark apostate, and I really want to do dark hunter, but I am perplexed as this seems all over the place. Can you explain whats going on here? Like, why charisma instead of wisdom, since DA and DH are both wis based casters? Just taking imbue from DA, but no dice? War priest for 1 die and trance? Are these just to boost the dice in inquisitive, and which imbue toggle do you use?

Can this be done with a human? or does it have to be pdk. I have no racial tomes or past lives...

Thanks!
    Inquisitor has high aggro especially with a 0 reduction setup like that, so wanted diplomacy to work, hence charisma. Charisma trance also has to-hit, and cleric doesn't have wisdom trance. Wisdom to hit/dmg and dmg trance is 23 ap in Falconry, but charisma to hit/dmg and hit/dmg trance is only 11 ap.

Use DA imbue, since it scales off evil spell power, which the gloves and set bonuses provide. Spell power is higher than ranged power, so it does more damage for imbues for a leveling build. I use PDK to start closer to 20 when the character can walk into legendary reaper for rxp/sxp at the same time as gaining past lives, and because melee and ranged are weak while leveling, so I want as few levels before getting some epic nuking as possible.

It is better to do ranged builds on iconics that start with IPS and get to epic AoE nuking quickly, or on arcane casters like a drow sorc shuriken thrower in heroics so you have a good rotation (like fireball shuriken shuriken, or epic nuke pew pew).
    Last edited by Tilomere; 02-24-2023 at 01:53 AM.

Community Member

Inquisitor has high aggro especially with a 0 reduction setup like that, so wanted diplomacy to work, hence charisma. Charisma trance also has to-hit, and cleric doesn't have wisdom trance. Wisdom to hit/dmg and dmg trance is 23 ap in Falconry, but charisma to hit/dmg and hit/dmg trance is only 11 ap.

Use DA imbue, since it scales off evil spell power, which the gloves and set bonuses provide. Spell power is higher than ranged power, so it does more damage for imbues for a leveling build. I use PDK to start closer to 20 when the character can walk into legendary reaper for rxp/sxp at the same time as gaining past lives, and because melee and ranged are weak while leveling, so I want as few levels before getting some epic nuking as possible.

It is better to do ranged builds on iconics that start with IPS and get to epic AoE nuking quickly, or on arcane casters like a drow sorc shuriken thrower in heroics so you have a good rotation (like fireball shuriken shuriken, or epic nuke pew pew).
    Thank you for your detailed explanation! I am constantly learning new things.

Community Member

Damien_Vampyre

Wow... you can mix anything with any other class to make it viable. FFS my point of this is why make a "special" class (ie Dark Hunter) if it's just going to be pretty much a knock-off of a class already in game. Geez man, you must be the blind one or have no train of thought. I didn't say anywhere anything about multiclassing or blah blah. I'm talking about the straight up DH skill tree, nothing else, no additives. Which is why I said it looks just like an assassin with a wolf. Man, what is ppl's problems with reading, it's hard I know. (As in where is the ranged assassinate) And as for the above multiclass... I have no idea why you wouldn't just splash Arti instead and take Harper Int to hit and dmg, makes more sense if you do a multiclass trapper.
    First off, no need to be insulting to begin with.

Secondly it's not melee only, and I've made a rogue that was using HW, and it's quite a bit weaker with bow attacks than this "Archetype".

If you don't want to play it, that's fine, you'll still be able to get your ranger PL without this variant.

Community Member

I wish the Devs will add someday any pet like dog to Deepwood Stalker.
    I wanted ranged assassinate, but its a sweet dream

As I've said before... This tree should replace DWS not AA.
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.