Community Member

Default Spells to help with problem enemies in Dread Isle

I've played wizard for a long time, but I just recently found some spells that really help with some problem enemies.

1) spiders: slow, then when they get closer waves of exhaustion. Lets you pick them off after you've landed your aoe necro spells on them and you're waiting for your spell cooldowns on individual necro spells. Slow isn't one of our stronger spell schools normally, but spiders have lower will saves. It landed most of the time for me in r4s with a 100 transmutation DC.
    glitterdust: while it is supposed to blind them, they still ended up killing me in testing. glitterdust does work on constructs though which is still handy.
    sleet storm: didn't work at all for me. i think it might be due to them having an internal Freedom of Movement buff or something.
    stinking cloud: my conjuration DC is too low for their fort saves. didn't work for me.
    symbol of stunning: this works well, but it's got a really long cast time and a really long cooldown.

2) kopru red-names: globe of invulnerability and make sure you just stand there.
    This will block your death aura but not greater death aura, but more importantly it prevents most of the spells they throw at you including the dreaded ego whip.
    My old method of running in circles and chugging gloomy pots of restoration is no longer needed!

3) death-warded feytouched champs: contagion-blinding sickness. since our necro dcs are high, this works on pretty much anything not undead/construct/oozes. cast it on any champs to make them irrelevant while you cc the rest of the mob. gloomspear also works but I usually need it for enemies that have broken through my cc. only downside is needing a level 4 spell slot.
    Last edited by vik1; 02-25-2023 at 04:19 PM.

Community Member Peter_Principle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vik1 View Post
    sleet storm: didn't work at all for me. i think it might be due to them having an internal Freedom of Movement buff or something.
    It's all those legs.

3) death-warded feytouched champs: contagion-blinding sickness. since our necro dcs are high, this works on pretty much anything not undead/construct/oozes. cast it on any champs to make them irrelevant while you cc the rest of the mob. gloomspear also works but I usually need it for enemies that have broken through my cc. only downside is needing a level 4 spell slot.
    Is it the blindness or stat damage that is making them irrelevant? Is this in Reaper mode?
    FYI, when I summon an earth elemental, it's not a "he," it's a "she." And her name is Pebbles.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Principle View Post
    Is it the blindness or stat damage that is making them irrelevant? Is this in Reaper mode?
    Yes, I run up to r6 or so. It's the blindness. Add in a waves of exhaust/fear to slow them down even more and keep them out of the way. I also tried blindness level 2, but for some odd reason it doesn't work on as many enemies as contagion does.

Probably should mention too that I have greater beams with gloomspear for the paralyze.
    Last edited by vik1; 02-25-2023 at 10:58 AM.

When I played a dc wiz my best spells against spiders and the like (scorpions, crabs) were greater shout and greatest shout (fatesinger sla). It's also a good choice vs deathwarded fey champs, since its evo and such a fast cast.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
    When I played a dc wiz my best spells against spiders and the like (scorpions, crabs) were greater shout and greatest shout (fatesinger sla). It's also a good choice vs deathwarded fey champs, since its evo and such a fast cast.
    I've had issues with greater shout in the past so I did some quick testing in Slave Lords P3 vs. spiders, r6. Here's what I found:
    101 evo DC: no effect on spiders.
    111 evo DC: using most of my DC boosts, it landed very reliably.

I'm guessing if you can get your evo DC in the 110 range it is a great alternate CC option.
    Last edited by vik1; 02-25-2023 at 04:52 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vik1 View Post
    1) spiders:
    glitterdust: while it is supposed to blind them, they still ended up killing me in testing.
    Spiders have tremor sense, so though they can technically be blinded, it doesn't really impede them much.