Community Member

Default I need help building casters

Seriously it's been years and I super want to play the new blightcaster in end game high skull/raid environments. I thought I'd designed a good build but when I see other peoples stats I don't match them. I have almost all Past Lives and most reaper points, quite a bit of raid gear etc. so the disparity is one of skill/knowledge. I have no idea how to create an effective high reaper caster anymore. So, this is a plea to high end players. Would someone explain to me how you get over a thousand spell power, dcs high enough to land in r10, defenses effective enough to not be 1 shot (or are you all just experts at avoiding being hit in the first place?)

I've been a melee player for years now and I'm ready for a change, but I don't want to have my power plummet when doing so.

Thanks.

Diving into building is like diving into the shallow end of a pool - if you're lucky, you'll only break your nose.

Find a build on the forums, start there. If you don't want to follow that blindly, make some MINOR changes, see how they work vs the claims of the original. Go from that experience, because in-game play experience with the end-result is the only way you'll really learn what does/not work.

GL!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Diving into building is like diving into the shallow end of a pool - if you're lucky, you'll only break your nose.

Find a build on the forums, start there. If you don't want to follow that blindly, make some MINOR changes, see how they work vs the claims of the original. Go from that experience, because in-game play experience with the end-result is the only way you'll really learn what does/not work.

GL!
    thanks!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maldrick View Post
    Would someone explain to me how you get over a thousand spell power, dcs high enough to land in r10, defenses effective enough to not be 1 shot (or are you all just experts at avoiding being hit in the first place?)
    So, there's different aspects.

Think of this: both melee DPS and tanks are fighting in melee range with melee weapons, so you could technically call both "melees", but a DPS build is different from a tank build. It's not perfectly cut-and-dry; you want your DPS to be kind of tanky (you can't just ignore defense), and tanks often have some DPS (for hate), and it's possible to have a hybrid, but usually you focus most on one of the two, and focusing on one is a lot easier to figure out, too.

I feel the same way about "casters" as about "melees": a DC caster and a nuker are different in the same way a tank and a melee DPS are different. Yes, you have aspects of both regardless, and yes it's possible to do a hybrid, but it will be a lot easier to figure out and be effective if you decide to focus on one of the two at first. You can move more to a hybrid as you master it.

What excites you more? CC & instakills, or big damage numbers? (If you have a regular group you play with, you could consider what would best aid that group.)

Another thing to bear in mind, either way, for Druid (since you mentioned it) and other casters like Wizard and Cleric, is that you can freely swap out spells at every tavern and shrine. Look over the spell list, and don't hesitate to swap in the specific spells that will be more useful in a specific situation. Simple examples: It astonishes me that in Dryad & Demigod, Druids in the party don't bother CCing the giant beetles. Or instakilling the wraiths & skulls in THtH. Or passing weapon buffs when there's no Arti or Alch with better ones. Or buffing their Barb/Druid-splash Bear-form DPS partymate. (Or even pulling out their Wolf pet to get the Str levers in Tempest Spine.) Casters can have a lot of flexibility and utility, that's often just wasted by people who don't bother to learn and use it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kpak01 View Post
    So, there's different aspects.

Think of this: both melee DPS and tanks are fighting in melee range with melee weapons, so you could technically call both "melees", but a DPS build is different from a tank build. It's not perfectly cut-and-dry; you want your DPS to be kind of tanky (you can't just ignore defense), and tanks often have some DPS (for hate), and it's possible to have a hybrid, but usually you focus most on one of the two, and focusing on one is a lot easier to figure out, too.

I feel the same way about "casters" as about "melees": a DC caster and a nuker are different in the same way a tank and a melee DPS are different. Yes, you have aspects of both regardless, and yes it's possible to do a hybrid, but it will be a lot easier to figure out and be effective if you decide to focus on one of the two at first. You can move more to a hybrid as you master it.

What excites you more? CC & instakills, or big damage numbers? (If you have a regular group you play with, you could consider what would best aid that group.)

Another thing to bear in mind, either way, for Druid (since you mentioned it) and other casters like Wizard and Cleric, is that you can freely swap out spells at every tavern and shrine. Look over the spell list, and don't hesitate to swap in the specific spells that will be more useful in a specific situation. Simple examples: It astonishes me that in Dryad & Demigod, Druids in the party don't bother CCing the giant beetles. Or instakilling the wraiths & skulls in THtH. Or passing weapon buffs when there's no Arti or Alch with better ones. Or buffing their Barb/Druid-splash Bear-form DPS partymate. (Or even pulling out their Wolf pet to get the Str levers in Tempest Spine.) Casters can have a lot of flexibility and utility, that's often just wasted by people who don't bother to learn and use it.
    Do you not need nearly maxxed dcs on a caster though, even dps? Given those spells often have saves.

Community Member

Do you not need nearly maxxed dcs on a caster though, even dps? Given those spells often have saves.
    Maxxed? thats rough unless you have all the best gear and maxed PL's but the gist is the better your DC's the least likely your spells will be resisted. That goes for spells like insta's as well as a spell as meteor storm. Once you can get your DC's high enough then you have your spell school focus damage, then spell power, etc. Depending on the saves of the spell, fortitude, will etc. Some spells have no save such as Carrion swarm.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Difficulty_class

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
    Maxxed? thats rough unless you have all the best gear and maxed PL's but the gist is the better your DC's the least likely your spells will be resisted. That goes for spells like insta's as well as a spell as meteor storm. Once you can get your DC's high enough then you have your spell school focus damage, then spell power, etc. Depending on the saves of the spell, fortitude, will etc. Some spells have no save such as Carrion swarm.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Difficulty_class
    I understand difficulty class. The thing I'm tripped up on is people say dc casters are out of favor. But dps casters are in. But don't dps caster need a high dc on their dps spells? It seems like a dps caster would need dcs almost as much as a dc caster if they don't want their spells doing half damage all the time. That's what confuses me. I don't understand what allows dps to dominate with lower dc. Yes, its less all or nothing, but wouldn't you still be screwed with a mediocre dc?

Community Member

I understand difficulty class. The thing I'm tripped up on is people say dc casters are out of favor. But dps casters are in. But don't dps caster need a high dc on their dps spells? It seems like a dps caster would need dcs almost as much as a dc caster if they don't want their spells doing half damage all the time. That's what confuses me. I don't understand what allows dps to dominate with lower dc. Yes, its less all or nothing, but wouldn't you still be screwed with a mediocre dc?

Its can be all or nothing BUT you also have half damage as well. Sometimes a spell can be completely resisted or the enemy gets a half save. Depends on the spell. Finger of death is like this. Sometimes its resisted, other times if half save then other times they be dead.

Community Member

Some damage spells have saves, some don't. Even those with saves aren't all-or-nothing, they're save for half. And most nukers can focus almost exclusively on a single (or maybe two) spell schools.

I'm not saying saves aren't important for nukers, or that more isn't better, but they are vastly more important for DC casters. Nukers really can and do get away with substantially lower DCs and still do fine.