Community Member

Default Nuker Cleric (noob question)

I am seeing clerics running around nuking everything with what looked like "Bless"???? (sorry I am not familiar with what cleric spells look like outside of healing). While I am not complaining, are these nuker cleric builds of some sort? They didnt look like an apostate with dark shadows around them either.

any idea?

If it is what I think it is based on your description it is bless and a few other spells. The Archtype for Cleric Dark Appostate turns several buff/debuff spells into damage spells.

I've been running different flavors from caster to melee it is different and even seems to boost other damage spells like harm and inflict making them more viable options for hurting things.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    If it is what I think it is based on your description it is bless and a few other spells. The Archtype for Cleric Dark Appostate turns several buff/debuff spells into damage spells.

I've been running different flavors from caster to melee it is different and even seems to boost other damage spells like harm and inflict making them more viable options for hurting things.
    Very interesting. I also see what looks like a beam of light, like a laser almost on single targets.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Axel's DDO Channel

You are probably thinking of Holy Smite, which has an animation that looks very similar to Bless/Prayer but with hands pointing down.

Dark Apostate is the only type of cleric that can do damage with Prayer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post
    You are probably thinking of Holy Smite, which has an animation that looks very similar to Bless/Prayer but with hands pointing down.

Dark Apostate is the only type of cleric that can do damage with Prayer.

ok. I will have to look this stuff up. thank you everyone!

Community Member

Could be Searing Light too, that looks like a laser you shoot out. I think its kinda cool but for the moment it kinda does lame damage for me, at level 8 w/ 140 align/positive spell power.

edit: When you turn on maximize and empower and pew pew with searing light, I guess thats not too shabby. I just found out holy smite is aoe. Its lame damage though on my DA; its faster to wade in and kill things with my two longswords...
    Last edited by Scrag; 02-10-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Intergalactic Space Crusader
    Treasure Hunter

Default And

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    Could be Searing Light too, that looks like a laser you shoot out. I think its kinda cool but for the moment it kinda does lame damage for me, at level 8 w/ 140 align/positive spell power.
    Implosion, and my fav on undead, Mass Cure Crital Wounds

Quote Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
    I am seeing clerics running around nuking everything with what looked like "Bless"???? (sorry I am not familiar with what cleric spells look like outside of healing). While I am not complaining, are these nuker cleric builds of some sort? They didnt look like an apostate with dark shadows around them either.

any idea?
    Holy Smite. its an awesome leveling spell but loses its value in later levels.

From your description, it's Holy Smite.

And probably/mostly the Tier 4 SLA (since that's cheap to cast/meta).
    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Divine_Disc...ents#Tier_Four

Everything else said above about other spells is true, but they simply don't fit the description of what you're seeing.

Treasure Hunter

Default Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    From your description, it's Holy Smite.

And probably/mostly the Tier 4 SLA (since that's cheap to cast/meta).
    o https://ddowiki.com/page/Divine_Disc...ents#Tier_Four

Everything else said above about other spells is true, but they simply don't fit the description of what you're seeing.
    I suffer from blood lust and couldn't resist.

Don't forget after mopping the floors with those spells to strike down anything left with Destruction or Slay Living.

I'm getting all twitchy now and have the strong urge to roll up a cleric on Orien to liven the undead

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Livmo View Post
    I suffer from blood lust and couldn't resist.

Don't forget after mopping the floors with those spells to strike down anything left with Destruction or Slay Living.

I'm getting all twitchy now and have the strong urge to roll up a cleric on Orien to liven the undead

LOL! thank you for all your responses. Is there an AoE from the cleric class that scales well into epics, maybe even legendary?

holy smite & searing light damage is increased by adding these to your build
    in addition to Metamagic's

Radiance Brilliance Light and Alignment (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) Spell Power
    Radiance Lore increases the chance for your light-based spells and effects to critically hit (usually for double damage).

these also have stacking capability with insightful, quality and such....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by archest View Post
    holy smite & searing light damage is increased by adding these to your build
    in addition to Metamagic's

Radiance Brilliance Light and Alignment (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) Spell Power
    Radiance Lore increases the chance for your light-based spells and effects to critically hit (usually for double damage).

these also have stacking capability with insightful, quality and such....
    This may sound stupid but... How do you get more SP as a cleric? Im a straight DA, and don't have any more AP to spend yet (10, holding 11, working on 12). I went all in on DA tree, with enough falconry to wis damage and I think the +wis core.

I am fairly certain I have a wizardry trinket, but spellsight/wizardry items that come up are a lot worse than the named gear I am running.

My cleric has 700 sp. My sorc has... 1300 (only 2 levels higher). With empower, enlarge, and maximize running, I can only a nuke a bit before I am spent.

Do I need to pick up SLA from DD so I can do free MM? I am almost t5 DA for heresy and shadows, at which point I am moving into DD for the SLAs I think. Is this the right choice?

Treasure Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ccd1977 View Post
    LOL! thank you for all your responses. Is there an AoE from the cleric class that scales well into epics, maybe even legendary?
    I like Implosion, Comet Fall and Flame Strike.

Treasure Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Scrag View Post
    This may sound stupid but... How do you get more SP as a cleric? Im a straight DA, and don't have any more AP to spend yet (10, holding 11, working on 12). I went all in on DA tree, with enough falconry to wis damage and I think the +wis core.

I am fairly certain I have a wizardry trinket, but spellsight/wizardry items that come up are a lot worse than the named gear I am running.

My cleric has 700 sp. My sorc has... 1300 (only 2 levels higher). With empower, enlarge, and maximize running, I can only a nuke a bit before I am spent.

Do I need to pick up SLA from DD so I can do free MM? I am almost t5 DA for heresy and shadows, at which point I am moving into DD for the SLAs I think. Is this the right choice?
    I max my Wisdom and don't have an issue with spell points. However, I do like yellow topaz's of spell points and will slot if I have nothing else.

Also I should note that I don't use any meta majics other than Eschew Materials, because I'm lazy

Not needed and saves on the SP

same here I try and shy away from metamagics. or set only particular spells with them by setting the tool bar icon menu for each .
    and not using the general toggle for it.
    shrine at every opportunity - which when you in a zerg group you just follow and pike because they dont care if you heal them or not till they need it and your not there because you ran out of sp and had to shrine and they left you behind to fend for your self the fodder they ran past which is why your sp are gone.....
    lol
    anyway

trees offer boosts to sp where you ca get them.

you cant compare sorcerer sp to cleric , sorcerer gets more from the class.
    if you lucky and you use the slas yes they use less sp and sometimes 0 sp .
    sounds silly but take a cleric hire with Devine vitality for he sp boosts. (a portable shrine)
    Last edited by archest; 02-12-2023 at 10:07 PM.

Community Member

Thanks guys! Yeah, I only have maximize/empower/enlarge turned on for holy smite and searing light. Since both of those are SLAs, getting into that in DD sounds like a good way to go. SL maximized out is to help me deal with runners, since I am pretty much all melee. I havent figured out the best way to maximize damage from prayer, since it doesn't seem to be affected by metamagic to enhance the curse damage. I just picked up a force crit/power ring and have an empty ring slot, so will have to see if that makes a difference.

Playing a DA is a lot of melee fun, but the few times I need to mash out a spell I am finding it to be frustrating. :/

Thank you again! Divine vitality portashrine sounds good!