Community Member

Default Acolyte of the skin, big miss.

I had such hopes of the beam shape being an always on attack I could sweep across rooms or bore into enemies dealing it's damage in ticks while touching the target. what we got is a lot more predictable and whole lot less interesting, not to mention just bad. actually really very bad, just bad.

sorry to be so blunt but so far AotS is a big steaming pile . . .

ok the beam shape has reduced range from the regular blast, doesn't track targets, slows you down while coming out but not momentarily between the blasts leaving you jerking around not even able to move smoothly. it is extremely narrow and because it is so high up it will straight up miss short targets that are not the individual target. so what we get is a single target blast that does less damage via sacrificed pact die, that occasionally hits a second target. when targeting a specific foe it is ok but a tall foe means short foes between are missed and if you are targeting yourself and get close to the mob the beam suddenly shoots the ceiling for no reason utterly missing the target 1 foot in front of you.

obviously the eye-blasts are not working right now. but even if they were they would not save this archetype as you can't eldritch blast while using the eye blast, I was hoping the last release wording would be kept so we could use these SLA blasts while waiting for our beam to cool down, but alas no synergy here after all.

The fear effects or taking demon form causes fear and you can do double pact damage to targets that are afraid. . . yeah but afraid targets RUN AWAY, as one would expect, making the demon form unable to hit them.

the demon form does not attack faster than the blast form, it might attack slower in fact it is hard to tell for sure. I'm just seeing no way in which the beam is better than base single target blast.

while there is still some good potential in this archetype right now, as it is on lammannia is is terrible, just utter garbage

Good points. Especially the height issue, which is the same problem IPS has on non-halfling races.

Community Member

so I went back to play skin today and instead of trying to use the AotS tree, which is mostly useless I decided to run it in a traditional blaster build.

Beam Shape was still almost completely worthless. to make Beam shape good it needs to not slow your movement and the beam itself needs to travel fast. make it act like a lightning bolt and it may be useful. also making it have longer range would be good too. it is a beam. Targeting is so bad on this. if the target is up close it will often fly up to the ceiling and may not hit the target at all, and certainly will not hit further targets. it should follow the reticle, not fly off into the sky. this targeting problem has been generally in the game for a long time but this shape blast really suffers from it a lot.

cone shape is still the best shape, but chain isn't terrible anymore which is nice

I just don't see any reason to make this archetype weaker than other warlocks by slowing it down when using beam, by denying it pact spells, and all the rest of it. this is not a stronger than usual class it doesn't need to be limited this way. it is strictly worse than other warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ianflaer View Post
    as it is on lammannia is is terrible, just utter garbage
    I pretty much as it was flaming-garbage about a week ago but all the fan-boys protested the thread.

https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showth...-with-proposal