Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Saw it was better than I expected but it was far from great but definitely worth watching but don’t see t as it screen required. Lots
    of laughs from most of the audience but some were like me and didn’t laugh just wish they had a bit more of a certain cameo. A nice final birthday present from my wife.

Hopefully spoiler free enough
    Last edited by Uska; 03-20-2023 at 03:15 AM.

Beware the Sleepeater

Did they explain where what'sherface got the rubber tubing for her wrist-slingshot?

[As seen in the trailer.]
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    Did they explain where what'sherface got the rubber tubing for her wrist-slingshot?

[As seen in the trailer.]
    Nope just disregarded it as magic myself

Beware the Sleepeater

Saw the Movie. My sentiments are echoed by an early review by Brian Tallerico of rogerebert.com; "The film often feels like it’s faking what the creators love about the game instead of trying to translate it from one medium to another."

Some random comments:
    The more tabletop D&D you have played the more you will like this movie. There are some oww and ahh moments for people who played a fair amount of D&D tabletop, you could tell in the theater I was in who played D&D and who got dragged to the movie, for non-fans it was a lot of swings and misses.
    This story would have been better as a six to eight episode show on Paramount+
    I wish the writers and producers spent more time understanding why the Lord of the Rings trilogy by Peter Jackson was successful rather than attempting to emulate a bad Marvel film.
    I suspect this will be a box off dud, and maybe even bomb. The current projections have the film opening at $25M and making $60M domestically and maybe another $100M internationally. For a film that reportedly cost $150M (before marketing) that's well short of the $300M it needs to breakeven.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Saw it today during a special viewing. I enjoyed it... but...the beginning felt awkward... clunky somehow. If you can sit through the beginning, IMHO, you'll end up enjoying it. I don't really have any complaints except toughing my way through the opening which played out like a Prologue being read to a live theatre doesn't suit well to a cinema experience even though it makes sense in a D&D backstory fashion.

That's all I'm going to say until most people have seen it.
    Blood Scented Axe Body Spray (Thelanis)
    Aelonwy - Wydavir - Metaluscious - Aertimys - Phantastique - Kaelaria - Lunaura - Aelurawynn - Saurscha - Crystalorn - Aurvaeyn - Vaelyns - Wyllowynd

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Nope just disregarded it as magic myself
    Rubber isn't particularly difficult to make. Latex is super-easy to get. It's only a "modern" thing because the latex-making trees are native to the Americas instead of Eurasia/Africa. If you actually have access to latex-producing rubber trees it's super-easy, barely an inconvenience. It's like complaining that fantasy movies have tomatoes, potatoes, corn, and other stuff native to the Americas. Well, yeah, Europeans didn't have access to those for centuries, but this ain't Europe. They didn't have tomatoes in Europe in medieval times because they didn't have tomatoes, not because someone had to invent them.
    Last edited by PsychoBlonde; 03-27-2023 at 03:36 PM.
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Community Member

My wife, daughter, and I went to see it yesterday, IMAX, 3:45 showing (daughters last day of spring break). My daughter is 8 and obviously never played dnd. My wife is, well, shes never played dnd and never been exposed to it and that is all I will say.

I was an avid player some 20-30 years ago for a considerable bit, have played every Gold Box game that came out with only one or two exceptions, all the baldurs gate stuff, obviously ddo, neverwinter online, and a bit of the all original neverwinter gold box on AOL. I still have a pile of 3.5 edition dnd (I had at one time had 2nd edition books as well like Unearthed Arcana (and even the first edition copy!)).

That all being said, my daughter _loved_ the movie and was emotionally moved at points. My wife got laughs the whole movie. For me it was a constant series of "quests" throughout, all excellent. The inside jokes were there but not overt. The dnd specific elements (some some tentacles some some (waves tentacles)) were not overly present, just enough to keep additional interest.

When I explained the scene with the paladin and why it was funny, it took a second for it to register and then she began laughing. Indeed, explaining some of the jokes was trivially easy, and she found them all really easy to get and laugh about. The rest was just dnd specific stuff that nonplayers wouldn't understand and really had no bearing on what was going on in the scene(s).

It was a low-power campaign, and I LOVED that. There was a _tiny_ bit of high power magic at the end. There was one malicious use of a 9th level spell that seems to have been dealt with by a lower 6th level spell (the sorc saw the spell coming from a mile away, figuratively), an awesome use of a 5th level spell, and the use of a 6th level spell.

For players back in old days, the bad guys spells were particularly clear that the bad guy was no-joke, based on spell caster level.

In the end, no major shift in power was had; the party was still low powered but definitely more experienced. The choice of character classes was phenomenal. Bards frequently get a bad rap, but they are definitely one of the most versatile classes there is, if not the most.

This movie has me jonesing to play a 1. barbarian, 2. a druid (wildshaper), 3. (maybe) a bard (again).

I will be honest, I have never felt the desire to play a barbarian, but this movie got me a bit interested.

9/10 movie.

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Purists were outraged at Lord of the Rings movies (at first)

Much of the same rhetoric is being vocalized for the new D&D movie by a similar group of people.

It's a movie. ENTERTAINMENT being the operative word.

No doubt we will have critics here. Again, it's a movie, made to entertain, not give a factual & accurate representation of a simple yet complex game/ genre.

In the words of E, Gary Gygax, "D&D players are the smartest bunch of whiners you'll ever meet."

I'm looking forward to it. (and hope it brings this game new players. Keeping those new players is the BIG question for me)

Hopefully, the wife and I are going to see it this afternoon.

I say hopefully because the winds are expected to pick and gust to around 65 mph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Community Member

Our adult son invited my wife and I to see the D&D movie. We taught him and his brother how to play the table top version 30 years ago and they both got heavily into it. We all thought the movie was great. I especially loved the owlbear. If you have not seen it, you should go. This is not the old D&D films, this is a major production with lots of laughs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12