Thread: PDK Ranger

Community Member

Default PDK Ranger

Hi all,

I was wondering if a PDK 4 Fighter 16 ranger could work to be a viable dps build for low reapers? (solo)

I was thinking PDK to start at 15, and take 4 levels of fighter to get the extra 3 fighter feats at levels 1, 2, and 4.
    With the missing 4 ranger levels you would only be losing hide in plain sight, 1 favored enemy, and 4 wilderness lore feats

34 point build
    STR 12
    DEX 18 Dex up for all levels
    CON 16
    INT 8
    WIS 12
    CHA 8

Enhancements: (80 points total)
    41 points in Horizon Walker
    26 Deepwood Stalker
    6 in Vistani (this is for undead as a favored enemy, and deflect arrow feat)

7 extra points could go in Kensi for hit and dmg with bows, or PDK for heal amp.

Feats
    1: Point Blank Shot, Unsure, Unsure
    2: Ranged Weapon Focus
    3: Precision
    4: Dodge
    5: Elemental favored enemy
    6: Ranged weapon specialization
    9: Mobility, Favored Enemy Monstrous Humanoid
    12: Unsure
    14: Favored Enemy Lawful Outsider
    15: Ranged Weapon improved critical
    18: shot on the run
    19: favored enemy giant

Epics: Combat archery, pierce silver, overwhelming critical, doubleshot, power critical, watchful eye, scion of ethereal plane, harbinger of chaos.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

First off, you may want to hold out for Dark Hunter to come out. The tree itself is a bit scatterbrained IMO - trying to do a bunch of different things at once rather than having a core focus - but even if you spend zero APs into the DH tree, you'll gain up to 5d6 sneak attack from your DH levels plus trap skills and Curative Admixtures. The main drawback is you lose a lot of the better Favored Enemy feat options like Giant; but you can offset that with Enhancements (you're already getting Evil Outsider and Undead from HW & VKF).

I'm not really sure what you're gaining from fighter 4 / ranger 16 vs ranger 18 / fighter 1 / <???> 1, at least with your current proposal. A couple extra feats but you're not exactly feat-started; plus you didn't spend any APs on, e.g., Stalwart Defender for defensive stance. And if not going for one of those rogue 12 / ranger 6 archer builds, I like keeping the option of 41 HW / 31 DWS for Mark of the Hunted / 8 Vistani for FE Undead and Haste Boost.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.