Default Warlock Eldritch Blasts

Hello everyone

I'm a new player who really likes building (gets bored playing though) and after a few tries I figured out that the most fitting style for me is plummeling opponents with eldrich blasts. I know that they get stronger with warlock level and with enchantments from Tainted scholar, but i'm also very much into multiclassing. So i was wondering whats the minimum damage thats appropriate for a warlock to have for his elditch blasts, if used as main weapon.

Ive seen many threads about multiclassing warlocks, both ranged and melee (like with paladin, which actually sounds very cool) but almost none really bothers about the eldrich blast output.

Also another problem I'm facing tryin to plan a multiclass of warlock and dark apostste is negative spell power amount, its way to low and cant figure out a way to raise it. Curiously enough warlock with cleric multiclass has more negative spell power. I know i don't give enough info about it but any suggestions are welcome.

PS: Sorcerers get enough mana to be able to use blast spells continually to completelly "replace" warlock's blast?

Community Member

If you're blasting you probably do not want to multi-class a Warlock. You're going to lose an Eldritch Blast die and a Pact die as well as a level 19 spell from your Pact. You'll also lose access to a capstone in your enhancement tree of choice.

Most 'casters' are better off as pure as opposed to multi-class. There have been times when an Epic Destiny, notably Shiradi, altered this calculation but at the moment from a pure caster damage perspective you're better off as a pure class.

Eternally Mediocre Girl Maelodic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jodro View Post
    Hello everyone

I'm a new player who really likes building (gets bored playing though) and after a few tries I figured out that the most fitting style for me is plummeling opponents with eldrich blasts. I know that they get stronger with warlock level and with enchantments from Tainted scholar, but i'm also very much into multiclassing. So i was wondering whats the minimum damage thats appropriate for a warlock to have for his elditch blasts, if used as main weapon.

Ive seen many threads about multiclassing warlocks, both ranged and melee (like with paladin, which actually sounds very cool) but almost none really bothers about the eldrich blast output.

Also another problem I'm facing tryin to plan a multiclass of warlock and dark apostste is negative spell power amount, its way to low and cant figure out a way to raise it. Curiously enough warlock with cleric multiclass has more negative spell power. I know i don't give enough info about it but any suggestions are welcome.
    As the other poster said, multiclassing warlock that focuses on blasts isnt the best idea. most warlock multiclasses are for grabbing the goodies out of the enlightened spirit tree for more tankyness. If you're focused on blasts and want the most blast damage possible, best to go pure warlock, and best to pick up spell critical damage from tainted scholar capstone.

PS: Sorcerers get enough mana to be able to use blast spells continually to completelly "replace" warlock's blast?
    Pretty much, though I think all casters aim to have enough spell points to blast monsters continually. Sorcs and Favored Souls both get a large spell pool, and spellsinger Bards get an SP recovery song that stretches their spell pool out considerably. Sorcs are the only other caster I'd consider to be "blasting" just because their spell speed and cooldowns are so much faster. You can spam fireballs and later meteor swarm to win.
    ~Sarlona~
    Maelodic - Soundblaster| | Kinsys - Cookie Cutter Monk

Multiclassing in general is a bit advanced and new players shouldn't do it. I've seen a lot of new players here and in the discord that want to do like..6 different things and wind up with druid/arti/wiz builds or something.

While multiclassing can up your dps and add utility, you need to know what each of the classes can do so you can balance what you're giving up vs what you get. Better to do a separate life as a druid, one as an arti, and one as a wiz, and then if you still think it's a good idea to put all 3 together...sure go for it lol. At least you'll have a lot more quest knowledge and (hopefully) a pile of gear to help on that 4th life.

The only time I ever tell newbies to multiclass is if they're only going to solo, and don't want to play a pure rogue/arti. Then at least 2 rogue will let them trap and give evasion. And while losing your capstone blows most of the time, at least 18 in a class is pretty darn close to pure.
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.

Thanks for the advices, but i was actually hoping for a more numerical answer. For example with a pure warlock going all in to eldrich blast up to lvl 20 i get 14D4 + 8D6 with +60% critical chance (i think), but being a new player i don't know if thats enough or high or even low, with a multiclass i got it up to 6D4 + 2D6, which i understand its way lower, but don't know if it is over a hypothetical limit for it to be usable.

Thanks for the advices, but i was actually hoping for a more numerical answer. For example with a pure warlock going all in to eldrich blast up to lvl 20 i get 14D4 + 8D6 with +60% critical chance (i think), but being a new player i don't know if thats enough or high or even low, with a multiclass i got it up to 6D4 + 2D6, which i understand its way lower, but don't know if it is over a hypothetical limit for it to be usable.
    I think I matters where you can compensate with the damage loss from the higher levels.

additional force damage spell power?
    with spell lore.

Eldritch Blast deals 1d6 Force damage at level 1, and increases by +1d6 at Warlock level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20; for a total of 6d6 at level 20.

Eldritch Blast damage scales with a percentage of Spell Power.
    Eldritch Blast criticals are based on magical stats: Critical Spell Chance and Critical Spell Damage.
    No save.
    Epic feats Epic Eldritch Blast (max +7d6) and Epic Pact Dice (max +6d4) increase your damage.

so if you stopped and took other levels such as rogue 2 to get trapping and evasion skills.
    you looking at a loss of 1d6 from level 20.
    how about sneak attack dice is Eldritch Blast effected by sneak attack and if it is than in several enhancement trees for the rogue you have the potential for 6 or 8 additional die damage from the sneak attack effect just from tier 2 rogue enhancements. add that to chain shot and that attack effects 4 targets.

1st +0/+0 +0 +2 +0 Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding
    2nd +1/+1/+6 +0 +3 +0 Evasion
    3rd +2/+2/+7/+12 +1 +3 +1 Sneak Attack +2d6, Trap Sense +1
    3 levels of rogue gain 2 sneak attack die.

Assassin enhancements
    Tier 1 2 and 3 for 3 levels of rogue = + 3 more
    Sneak Attack Training: Grants +1 Sneak Attack die and +1 to hit when performing sneak attacks.

total 5 so far

Racial enhancement ( Human ) you can gain + 2 more.
    Ranger enhancements you can gain

Far Shot: +1 Sneak Attack Die. +10 Positive Spell Power. Your Point Blank Shot and Ranged Sneak Attack range is increased by 5 meters for each Deepwood Stalker Core Ability you possess.

Core 2 Sneak Attack: +1 Sneak Attack Die. +10 Positive Spell Power. +1 Use of Wild Empathy. Each Deepwood Stalker Core Ability you acquire after this one also grants +1 use.

for 2 more additional

9 total for 3 levels of rogue and 1 level of ranger and the human race.
    vs 1d6 blaster for level 20
    ( ap point cost should be considered) tier 1 enhancements in the ranger tree and tier 3 in the rogue tree.

these scale on ranged power not spell power.

but i dont know if the eldritch blast works with sneak attack.
    Last edited by archest; 01-15-2023 at 08:47 AM.

Community Member

6d4 + 2d6 Eldritch Blast is not usable in anything approaching higher difficulty levels. It's a wasted click compared to what you could be doing otherwise.

However the levels of Warlock that let you get that 6d4 + 2d6 blast may well prevent any other click from being particularly useful in higher difficulties.

This is why you really want to stay pure in whatever you're doing unless you have a multi-class in which all the classes/enhancements are mutually supporting to create a sum greater than the parts.

Right now a weak Eldritch Blast contributes to very little else.

It sounds like an over-simplification but it really is not. If you know what you are doing your multi-class attempts may well be very productive. If you don't just stay pure because the game system grants you a reasonable level of power in that scenario.